VTmotoMike08

Reattaching velcro to the inside of a helmet

Might be a simple question, but does anyone know what the best glue is to reattach velcro (hook side) to the inside of a carbon fiber helmet shell? I will probably just pick up a tube of super glue but I am not sure if a hot glue gun might be better. I was thinking that super glue is some pretty harsh stuff that is designed for plastics and might somehow be bad for the helmet. But hot glue tends to peel off and is not known for its strength like super glue is.

Specifically, I need to reattch the velcro that holds the liner onto the inside of a bonehead helmet. I don't consider this a fault with the helmet, its more like routine maintenance that probably has to be done on most helmets with liners that are a few years old.

You really got me thinking on this question, I hadn't thought about it before. So off to Google I went. The automotive world uses some really hard-core epoxies and some really expensive stuff. The R/C world apparently uses hot glue (with the understanding that it may partially melt the resin).

My question is have you called Bonehead composites and asked them? If you do, would you post their answer here for us all to learn from?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Might be a simple question, but does anyone know what the best glue is to reattach velcro (hook side) to the inside of a carbon fiber helmet shell? I will probably just pick up a tube of super glue but I am not sure if a hot glue gun might be better. I was thinking that super glue is some pretty harsh stuff that is designed for plastics and might somehow be bad for the helmet. But hot glue tends to peel off and is not known for its strength like super glue is.

Specifically, I need to reattch the velcro that holds the liner onto the inside of a bonehead helmet. I don't consider this a fault with the helmet, its more like routine maintenance that probably has to be done on most helmets with liners that are a few years old.

All of my bonehead products have peeling velcro. Most of them did this months after purchase.

Great helmets, but damn, can't they get some better velcro or something? :ph34r:
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Good call on replacing the velcro, I should have mentioned that I was already planning on that. I want something a little stronger than the sticker type adhesive that comes already on some types of velcro.

I did skim the paperwork that came with the helmet and I did not see any recommendations, but I could have missed it. A call will be put in to Bonehead, but I doubt they will have useful information because it appears that they use just buy the pre-stick kind.

I like Billvon's idea best, but I don't have easy access to clamps so I will probably go with super glue. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I haven't searched for it online but I have some adhesive hook and loop (might actually be Velcro brand) that is labeled 'Industrial'. I've used it in the vehicles to mount stuff and seems to be more like duct tape adhesive. A little messy if it does come off but stays on pretty good.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

All of my bonehead products have peeling velcro. Most of them did this months after purchase.

Great helmets, but damn, can't they get some better velcro or something? :ph34r:

Same here. My bonehead helmet has velcro that is in perfect condition but came unglued not very long after I got it. Not too impressed. I glued them back on a few days ago with whatever superglue I had lying around. I haven't used it yet - time will tell if it works better than the adhesive velcro.

BTW the top liner in my All-Sport has unfinished edges which started de-laminating the first day I used it. They sent me a new pad which had the same problem. I understand they've since addressed the problem by sewing the edges. I just sewed a bit of fabric over the edges myself, it is much better now.

Nice helmet, but they could really stand to make some improvements to the padding.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

You might try contact cement. Any hardware store will have a tube for about $2 or so. Apply to both the velcro and the helmet, let dry and put together. Won't mess with the composit like superglue and no clamps needed.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

Be careful of strong solvents and glue, they can damage the carbon fiber. I just reglued the velcro in my new (to me) bonehead lid, using hot glue. The pieces are stuck in there real good, I'm not worried about them, and the hotglue isn't going to damage anything. Rubbing alcohol cleans the surface nicely (get the rag damp first, don't dump it on there). Apply the hot glue to the helmet, not the velcro, because it will stay liquid much longer that way. This will require you to use a sharpie to mark where you want them to go. Hope this helps.
Oh, and rubbing alcohol doesn't contain oil.

I've watched the guys at 2K Composites use a hot glue gun to install liners into their carbon fibre helmets... presumably there's not going to be much material difference between a BoneHead CF helmet and a 2K CF helmet so that's what I'd use.

In fact that's what I did use - last weekend. Worked fine.