highfly

How many of your are IT proffesionals?

Network Engineer for BellSouth... .CCIE. I'm professional at work, but catch me outside of work, and professional is probably the last word you'd use to describe me.... work hard, play hard.

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

As much as I hate the label 'IT,' as it is much too general, I'll bite.

I'm a Unix admin by day. It is moderately intellectually stimulating, but most of the time, quite boring.

Damn straight. UNIX Admin here too.
IF I didnt have all the stuff I do in my personal life, I'd eat my gun from sheer boredom B|
__

My mighty steed

Systems Engineer ,DBA,and systems integration. Used to write apps (ERP grade) for manufacturing but now write customized fullfillment software for a publisher. Test new technologies for future implementation....Yada yada yada..
been in it for about 17+ years since my old hacking days as N-UR-I.(300 baud modem Tandy 1000EX, External floppies,war dialers and no hdd:| Those were the days.;))

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang

I'm a java programmer writing equity trading applications.

I love my job, It's hardly boring. If anybody really does think their job is boring... It's your life. Quit wasting it. Find a new job.

I skydive because I've always wanted to. For me it's related to my personality much more than anything I do during the week.

Fortunately my job pays enough so that I can afford a rather expensive hobby.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Network Engineer for BellSouth... .CCIE. I'm professional at work, but catch me outside of work, and professional is probably the last word you'd use to describe me.... work hard, play hard.

J

My CCIE R/S Lab is scheduled for mid November in San Jose...:) afterward.

------------------------------

Network engineer here....manage customers Voice / Data networks and security.

Kenny

I just sit at my desk and bullshit all day. Somewhere in between all the bullshitting, I make websites which pays for my addiction.

It's kind of funny... I often dont remember actually doing work, yet it gets done and I get paid. I wonder if working puts me in some kind of trance that makes me think i'm doing something else while i'm really working.

Like today... I was really sick all day and just sat here watching skydiving movies on my computer, yet I designed a website for somebody and I really don't remember doing it. I just got an email back from them saying they liked it, and I was like "wtf? That looks pretty cool... I made that today?!?":S
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

IS this because they can afford it or is it more a case of needing an extreme sport to deal with the extreme boredom of your jobs? :P
:)

For me it's neither of those. I'm still a college student, doing a Computer Science major and working part-time for IT Services on campus. I chose to skydive because I wanted to. Definitely couldn't really aford it, nor was I bored... I'm not sure how my computer-nerdiness might relate to it.
Still, I'm surprised how many IT folks are here.

I'm a sysadmin now, but this used to happen to me all the time when I was programming. It's great! I would look at the code the next day and wonder who wrote it because it was so clean. Who knew that I was actually good at my job?!

I have a theory on the whole IT/Skydiving/Extreme Sports connection, but you all may laugh me off the forums. I think it's because technology is a cutting edge field, and while many aspects are EXTREMELY dull, the field itself is constantly changing and requires ongoing education. This allows us to challenge ourselves mentally (sometimes at least), and I for one get off on that. Skydiving does the same for me. I'm always looking for new ways to push myself.

Granted I'm really, really new to the whole skydiving thing, but I think this may be the connection for me.

IS this because they can afford it or is it more a case of needing an extreme sport to deal with the extreme boredom of your jobs? :P

:)

Starting with $8M in venture capital, deciding how you want your company to run, hiring who you want, designing a product, and building it is much more fun than skydiving.

I think IT and high risk sports go together. The intellectual challenge of IT work, plus it's reactive nature (like fixing something while your company loses $10,000 a minute) make it alternatively stimulating with enough downtime to do some serious hacking on personal interests.

I'm not sure what my job has become. Unix, networks, security, research, miracle worker.

But my employer bankrolls my skydiving and gives me fridays off, so who am I to complain :P

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

Sys Admin. Currently between gigs, but that will change shortly. :)

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Software developer here. Love the field but hate my job. Currently active in trying to get a better one.

But even though I hate it, it does pay for my very expensive hobby. I'm thankful that I don't have to live on ramen noodles to skydive. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site