craichead

What should we do in New York City?

So, AndyMan and I are flying to NYC tonight, and we're leaving Sunday evening. What should we do with our long weekend in the Big Apple?

We were thinking about going to see Spamalot, but available (i.e. scalped) tickets are ridiculously expensive for not very good seats, and Hank Azaria isn't in the cast again until 12/2.

What are the more interesting and offbeat things to see and do in New York? I was hoping we could go to the Museum of Sex. :o:ph34r: What else do you DZ.commers recommend?

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I always enjoyed going to the see the blue man group. Its a great show.

Yeah, but we've got Blue Man Group in Chicago (I used to live right down the street from the theatre, and I've lost count of how many times I've seen the show). I know that the shows are different in each city, but we're looking for something uniquely New York. What else you got for us? ;)

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

There is a firefighter bar in the village called Chumley's. It is an old speak easy from the 20's. There is alot of history there from FDNY.

That's pretty cool! Sounds like a great place to meet our NYC friends for dinner and drinks. :)
_Pm
__

I lived in New York all my life and it is a shit hole.
Why would you waste your money and go to NY?

You can go so many better places than NY.

Crowded city that is dirty with bums, drunks, rapists, killers & thieves.B|

VS

sunny paradise, white sand beach, hot weather & people with little clothing.B|

I just hate NY.. SORRY

-Go walk St Marks Place, (8th between 2av and Av A) funky littke street with street vendors and lots of young adults. DOJO's is a GREAT restaurant on that street. I suggest the Soy Burger Dineer with a side of Tahini sauce. It's like $4.

-Go see Rockerfeller Plaza, try to get tickets for Letterman, there's a # to call every morning for standby tickets.

-Walk around Soho, Take the "N or R" line to Prince St.

-Walk along the bottom of Central Park. The Plaza Hotel, Tiffany's, FAO Schwartz, and a bunch of other cool big stores are up there.

-Take a ferry out to the statue of liberty.

-Check out Times Sq.

Let me know if there's anything more specific!

We really enjoyed the Met. We didnt want to stand inline for an hour to check out the Guggenheim.

We also when to a comedy club : Roger Dangerfield's. The comedians were from mediocre to very good... as any club, it will depend on who is there.

We were told the Staten Island ferry gave the best views of the city... we werent that impressed, but it was OK.

Bumming around the shops in SoHo is kinda cool.

The Smoked Meat sammich at Katz is good, but Swartz in Montreal has them beat;)
Remster

I forgot about Katz....

Great deli... great pastrami.. great hod dogs it's on Houston(House-ton) around 2 Av? And from there you can walk south on Canal st. You can find just about ANYTHING on Canal St. Widgets... cooking stuff... tools... glass... just about anything you can think of.. and a lot of it is out on the street

-Go walk St Marks Place, (8th between 2av and Av A) funky littke street with street vendors and lots of young adults.

If you do this, check out McSorley's Ale House 15 East Seventh Street. The oldest bar in NYC. You can wander around the place just reading the stuff on the walls. Order at least three beers each when you get there. They're small.

We were told the Staten Island ferry gave the best views of the city... we werent that impressed, but it was OK.

I think it would be from the Brooklyn Esplanade. Afterwards, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to the Manhattan side and under the bridge visit Jeremy's Ale House (take an extra bra or tie for a free beer), the Fulton Fish Market, Wall Street, and Pier 17. You can, from there walk down to the Battery to catch the Staten Island ferry or the Statue of Liberty Ferry. Along the way, visit Fraunces Tavern (George Washington got down with his bad self there.)
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Lots of great places to go... But one of them is NOT the Soup Kitchen made famous by Seinfeld. Standing in line for 30 minutes around the block on New Year's Eve in 10 degree weather was not my idea of fun. A pint of soup for $14? Well it was good soup nonetheless... but still overpriced
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

-Go walk St Marks Place, (8th between 2av and Av A) funky littke street with street vendors and lots of young adults. DOJO's is a GREAT restaurant on that street. I suggest the Soy Burger Dineer with a side of Tahini sauce. It's like $4.

-Go see Rockerfeller Plaza, try to get tickets for Letterman, there's a # to call every morning for standby tickets.

-Walk around Soho, Take the "N or R" line to Prince St.

-Walk along the bottom of Central Park. The Plaza Hotel, Tiffany's, FAO Schwartz, and a bunch of other cool big stores are up there

-Take a ferry out to the statue of liberty.

-Check out Times Sq.

Let me know if there's anything more specific!

When we went to NYC last year FAO Schwartz was closed :( I was very sad, then we went to the 3 story Toys R Us, but it just wasnt the same.

my body, my choice

Go down to Chinatown on Sunday morning for dim sum. Go stand on the top of some tall building (the observatoin deck on top of Rockefeller Center just reopened, I think, or there's always the Empire State Building). Wander around Central Park. Just wander. NY is a great town for soaking up the atmosphere. Shop!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

im in nyc myself right now.....im sure you'll get plenty of reccomendations about things to see, but let me suggest 2 places to eat!

the dojo on st marks and puglio's in little italy. that is by far the BEST italian food ive ever had in my life. ask any cab driver or police officer and they'll tell you the same, at least that was my experience. that's how i found the place.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Are you talking about Puglia's in Little Italy. Where you sit at the big long table with strangers, and they have a really bad lounge singer and everybody in the restaurant sings along and sometimes throws food.? I love that place.. Forgettable food, but unbelievable atmosphere on a friday night around 9.!!!!

Puglia's ----- pronounced... Pool-ya

Alright, I'm starting to get annoyed...

first things first (with all due respect)

the best dim sum is now in queens, not in manhattan. and the only food in Little Italy is EYE-talian food, and it is hardly good. all junk.

Ok, for breakfast try either THE PINK TEA CUP or KITCHENETTE. Southern/soul and comfort breakfast respectively, and neither are TOURIST TRAPS. I ALWAYS go to THE CUP when I am in NY, no matter how short a stay.

Went to grad school in chicago, if you like Bale', try Banh Mi So #1. Great quick bite or cheap lunch. May be the best sandwich on the PLANET and one of the few good things to come from the french colonizing the vietnamese.

I suggest one high end restaurant....for lunch. The high end lunch in NYC is a STEAL.

While it is good to have plans....nothing beats walking. There are so many interesting neighborhoods and a population big enough to sustain the most interesting niche shops. meatpacking district, chelsea, soho; the shops and restaurants are awesome

THE SINGLE BEST WAY to find out about food in NYC is

http://chowhound.com/boards/manhat/manhat.html

enter desired kind of food, location, and budget, and just wait...often only a few minutes.

don't get caught in trying to DO everything, give yourself over to the city and it will never let you down.

BTW, check out the outer burroughs section to. queens will give you the best greek, asian, and african food on the planet outside of the counrty of origin.

pm me for anything specific

The Smoked Meat sammich at Katz is good, but Swartz in Montreal has them beat;)

Remi, yer goofin, right? Ok, I want to be fair. With regard to pastrami, nobody beats Katzs'. I can't imagine anybody's PASTRAMI being better, unless it was Katzs' pastrami and they threw in a hummer...and then MAYBE. ;)

You need to check our Swartz .... By far better then Katz IMHO.

Actually, Montreal has got NY beat on Smoked Meat and bagels (seriously, Montreal Bagels are something else). We also had the crown for Cheesecake, but Ben's is really truning out crap cake these days, so I wont fight you on that one.;)
Remster