vt1977

Job Interviews!

I have a 2nd round interview for a job I really want on Wednesday.

Can anyone offer me some good general advice on making the best possible impression? I hate formal interviews...

Vicki

I'm the last person to be giving advise so I'll just send **vibes** and a load of GOOD LUCK!

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

Don't wear a T shirt and jeans unless it is a software company, be polite, remember your manners, speak clearly to the interviewer, make eye contact, and if the interviewer wants to talk let him/her. Ask questions related to the job or the subject the interviewer wants to talk about, but hold all benefits questions till the interviewer brings them up or the near the end of the interview during the wrap up.

Blue skies,

Jim

as a consultant, I get to go on a LOT of interviews when I don't have a gig lined up.

Since this is your second interview, you obviously did something right the first time around so congratulations are in order. My advice would be

1)Show up early - this shows eagerness and reflects well on your ability to manage your time.

2)Ask questions, even if you asked a previous interviewer the same ones.

3)Lean forward

4)avoid the dead stare! this means shifting your focus point on the interviewers face every once in a while

5)when mentioning previous accomplishments, name the tasks AND the business result. "I wrote a proposal to do blah blah blah, this ended up saving 30 man hours per week"

6)reasearch the company you're interviewing with and if possible, find out about your interviewer. Maybe he/she wrote an industry article or is reknowned expert. A little brown nosing could help your chances.

that's all I have for now....good luck!

That was good about the task and the result.
To take it a little further, when i do something competency based where they are looking for a reasonable length answer, i use STAR as a memory jog
S - Situation - i was working for....
T - Task - where i needed to...
A - Action - I did this by...
R - Result - And the result was........

It helps keep your answers in order and stops you tripping over yourself, but practice it first!!!

Oh and Vicki - good luck!!! (nice to see you last week!)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

if the interviewer says something more casual at the beginning to set you at ease, don't freeze up. I was offered coffe/tea/water and went for the water (another tip - don't go for a hot drink, you may burn yourself and then only think of that and any nervous shakes are really obvious when you are putting a cup on a saucer). The interviewer said 'I should have guessed that seeing as you are an active sportsperson with your skydiving' and I couldn't decide on whether to be honest (you don't have to be THAT fit to fall out of a plane) or just play along with it. We never connected and I didn't go through to the next stage. I blew it all in the first 2 minutes:(. Mind you, I could have ended up in Scotland as a result of getting that job - everything has its upsides:P.

tash
Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Being alive is a special occasion. Avril Sloe

Make sure you express energy and enthusiasm for the job. Know why you want the job and why you think you're a good fit for it - that's the case you're tryin to make. Use body language and eye contact to help convey that energy, too - leaning forward, looking your interviewer in the eye, smiling, etc.

Have some good questions ready. If I'm interviewing someone and they just say "Uh, no" if I ask if they have any questions, I will just assume they're not that interested.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke