dzkid39

16 year old skydivers

It's never been illegal. Just a really unwise move on the part of a DZO to allow it.

Why do you think it's unwise? Mike Mullins kids did it at an early age, and they are still around.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

And parents can't legally sign away a minor's rights.

Are you sure that is correct in all states?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

im a second gereration skydiver and i started this year when i was 16. i was wondering if there are anybody else out there jumping at my age? if so it would be nice to jump with someome close to my age.

what's up

i'm also a second generation jumper, my dad used to own a dz, we shut down about 3 years ago this spring. i'm 17, i made my first tandem at 7 and first static line at 11.

where r you, maybe we'll catch up sometime and make a jump.

later

No, I'm not sure. Repeating what I've read from lawyers and dzos on here and in Parachutist letters.

i think what it is, is that say i get hurt.......my parents can't sue, and neither can i, at that time, but when i turn 18, all bets would be off and i could be sue happy i guess.

i don't know, i don't care........my dad used to own i dz, i know the risks, and i would NEVER sue a dz, but in the same aspect i can understand why a dzo couldn't take my word for it, so i've never gotten mad if they said i couldn't jump.

later

Some states say yes, others say no.

Colorado Supreme Court: Cooper v. Aspen Skiing Co, 2002 It says that as a matter of public policy a parent cannot waive the claim of a minor child and the child cannot effectively waive his own claim. In addition, the indemnification provision is invalid because it creates a conflict of interest between parent and child in violation of Colorado public policy to protect minor children.

Connecticut Supreme Court: Saccente v. LaFlamme (2003) Plaintiff Saccente and his daughter signed releases for riding lessons. When the daughter was injured, plaintiff sued. In an earlier opinion, the trial court upheld a document in which the father agreed to hold the stables harmless for any damages suffered by the stables. In this opinion, the trial court says that the father could waive his daughter’s rights and so grants entirely the defendant’s motion for summary judgment.

Hi,

I`m from Germany and started jumping with 16. I`m 20 now and have 400 jumps. I always wanted to build an all-underage Freefly-Team but most really young skydivers do RW or random-flying :S .. No one would like to do freefly competitionwise.. :(

I'm in the states over NYE for collegiates..Maybe see you there!

Greets,
Max

I always wanted to build an all-underage Freefly-Team but most really young skydivers do RW or random-flying .. No one would like to do freefly competitionwise..

if was in germany, i'd be on that like stink on shit......i think that would be cool as hell. but, since i'm in ohio, i don't think it could happen too easily.;)

later

I had wanted to skydive since I was a little kid, so when I was a teenager I called the local dropzone (a very tiny one) and they said I could jump when I turned 16 as long as one of my parents signed the waiver. So as soon as I turned 16, I begged my mom to let me go jump but she said no freakin' way... So I had to wait a couple of years...

But I don't think I've ever seen anyone younger than 18 jumping (though I'm sure there are a handful of them out there). I know what you mean though - when I first started jumping I was the youngest person at my dz so I was wishing I had someone closer to my age to jump with (and another female would have been nice too).