paulagc

Black plastic wrap on cut-away housing question

I'm looking for information/suggestions on how to replace the the black plastic "shrink wrap" (for lack of knowing the appropriate term) at at the top of the cutaway housing that has ripped on a rig.

What kind of material it this? Where can I get it? How do I replace it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paula Coody

Black shrink tubing, you can get it at Radioshack, some auto parts stores in the electrical sections, Lowes, Home Depot.
CAREFULLY cut off the old stuff, cut the new stuff to the same length as the old piece, slip it on the housing and shrink using a blowdryer.

Paula,

Give the manufacturer a call. I'm sure they would be more than happy to drop a couple in the mail to you.

CAREFULLY cut off the old stuff, cut the new stuff to the same length as the old piece, slip it on the housing and shrink using a blowdryer.

If it is a long piece and you cut it the same length as the old, it will be too short when it SHRINKS. Cut it a little long. Start at the end that you want fixed in place and work away. It will shrink back towards the fixed end. When you get near the free end, gauge how much more you will need and trim it to length then. Now finish shrinking it. I learned about the length shrinking the hard way.[:/]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Most shrink tube will only shrink in diameter not length (at least the stuff we use) but thats easy enough to figure out with a test piece, cut to length of the old one shrink with heat and see how much it shrinks.

It's really not required to be on the rig, it just hides the ugly crimp on the terminal.

How important is the shrink wrap? I've seen some manufactors use it and others do not. If it is missing off a rig is it required to be replaced?

Wasn't there a SB issued by some mfgr several years back where one had to cut the shrink wrap off of the ends of the cut-away cable housings where the flex-metal-tube had the "eyeletts" swedged to it? the problem was the eyelettes hadn't been swedged on properly and one had to take the shrink wrap off to inspect the swedge. The reason I bring it up is, as I recall, if the inspection passed, replacing the shrink wrap was optional.

Yeah, the RWS vectors.. I really only know about the tandems... There is a SB that requires them to be re-crimped to the spec. Over time the shrink wrap needs replaced... Ask this question.. Is it part of the manufacture approved specs? If it is then you need to do it. Some rigs, Maybe don't need it, Others proably do. Not up to you to choose. Follow their previous constructions, and info, unless otherwise notified. That would be my answer. Fixing it is easy... Crimping, Shrink wrapping, Easy with practice and know how... Ask your local master rigger
Make the most of what ya got!

Heat shrink is not expensive but there is definitely some cheap crap out there. Since I build a lot of automotive wiring harnesses on race cars I've found that there are lots that do the job very poorly.

For wiring I prefer using the 3M stuff that has adhesive on the inside. On a rig I believe it MAY be a good choice too since it will prevent slippage and stop the possibility of the heatshrink sliding up or down on the housing. The adhesive is a high viscosity heat activated stuff so I wouldn't expect any seepage into the housing material. Would be interesting to hear any discussion about the exact type of heatshrink used and potential problems.

-Michael

Shrink wrap is just to hide rough edges on the ends of the AMP (American Metal Products) fitting on the end.
Those AMP fittings were originally designed as electrical connectors, similar to the ends on automotive battery cables.
If the fittings have smooth ends (i.e. Dolphin) they don't need a rubber wrapping.
Heat shrink tubing can be purchased in any automotive spare parts store (Canadian Tire, Lord Co, Princess Auto, etc.)

Hey everyone. Thanks. I appreciate the quick help.

P.S. To "gearless chris"...what did your rigger say?

My rigger said just tie a pink bow around it so it will at least look pretty, since it's a Javelin it probably won't work anyway.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.