ChasingBlueSky

Passion of the Clerks: Clerks 2 is coming!!

Just in time to celebrate the tenth anniversary of his first film, writer/director/star Kevin Smith has announced plans to make a sequel to CLERKS. The movie, titled THE PASSION OF THE CLERKS, is set ten years after the events seen in the first flick. It will star Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson as Dante and Randal, the two slacker buddies who still don't want to serve you while working at their convenience stores. Smith and his pal Jason Mewes will also put in appearances as Silent Bob and Jay.

"It's about what happens when that lazy, 20-something malaise lasts into your 30s," explained Smith to the Seatlle Post-Intelligencer. "Those dudes are kind of still mired, not in that same exact situation, but in a place where it's time to actually grow up and do something more than just sit around and dissect pop culture and talk about sex. It's: what happened to these dudes?"

Smith has quietly finished the script for CLERKS 2 and has already completed a second draft. He wants to start filming the movie in January of next year and work with a budget somewhere between a quarter of a million dollars and $5 million. Miramax Films will distribute the picture once it's complete.

I was a huge fan of the original movie but I am a bit
pessimistic of what the sequal will have to offer.

Everything has changed for Kevin Smith. The movie just won't have the raw energy that an independant film can offer.

With a 5 million dollar budget, do you think Miramax is going to allow the level of profanity and black humor of the original?

If Clerks came out today, they would have to edit out half the movie just to get an "R" rating. This country has changed so much since the Columbine shootings and 9/11. Everyone is afraid of the liability factor.

Don't be suprised if the new Clerks movie has a PG-13 rating.

You're right though things do change. Like i noticed whenver someone says something they're excited about...someone else comes along to try and ruin it. And thank you for trying to bring down a happy thread.

Bo - "in a row??" :P

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I'm not even supposed to be here today!!

I saw Clerks 3 times when it came out in the theatres originally. Ever since that I have seen all of his movies on the big screen (yes, even MallRats). However, I have been scared to see "Vulgar"

And thank you for trying to bring down a happy thread.

I'm not being negative at all!

Last year, I went to go see Terminator 3. I was not expecting a very good sequal.

1)Arnold was getting a bit old for this role.
2)James Cameron didn't write or direct the movie.
3)A girl Terminator? That is just stupid.

When I went to go see the movie, I was pleasantly suprised, it was not half bad.

Everyone I talked to was expecting a repeat of Terminator 2 but I knew that just wasn't possible.

I was one of the few people that liked it for what it was.

Sequals usually suck, but there are a few big exceptions. We can only hope!

I'm not even supposed to be here today!!

I saw Clerks 3 times when it came out in the theatres originally. Ever since that I have seen all of his movies on the big screen (yes, even MallRats). However, I have been scared to see "Vulgar"

I watched Vulgar and had to take a frigging shower afterward. Very dark and disturbing.

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

Lets see ten years later I figure she was 20 something (23 guessing) and I'm thinking she's been doing that since she was 17. So I figure 6.2 a year, ten years later I am guessing....

99 Blow jobs currently...

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I watched Vulgar and had to take a frigging shower afterward. Very dark and disturbing.

Now I want to go out and rent it!

No matter how bad it is, I'm sure it can't be as bad as "Monster". Thats 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back!

Now I want to go out and rent it!

No matter how bad it is, I'm sure it can't be as bad as "Monster". Thats 2 hours of my life I'm never getting back!

No you don't. I've got three word for you, GAY CLOWN RAPE. Thats the stuff nightmares are made of

It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.

Didn't know we had to agree with everything the poster had to say. I must have missed that meeting.

No you didn't miss the meeting we CHOSE to not invite you:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Anywho I like Kevin Smiths' work and I'll probably go see it.

Even with more money he can still make a decent film.
Dogma had a bigger Budget, so did Chasing Amy
I liked both of those

Hell I've liked all his films:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Did any of you see the guy who played Dante in a movie called "Vulgar," in which he plays a clown who gets man-raped? Pretty disturbing flick. He had some decent range in it, though, even if he still sounds a bit wooden in his regular delivery. He took a difficult role and made it very convincing, and it had to be hard to act the part of a guy who gets raped by some incestuous sicko family.

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Last year, I went to go see Terminator 3. I was not expecting a very good sequal.

1)Arnold was getting a bit old for this role.
2)James Cameron didn't write or direct the movie.
3)A girl Terminator? That is just stupid.

When I went to go see the movie, I was pleasantly suprised, it was not half bad.

Are you kidding? I thought Terminator 3 was a total dog.

I can't get over the ridiculous premise that the present will, apparently, ALWAYS be vulnerable to attack from the future. It just never ends, does it? What's the point of fighting, when like the outcasts on the moon in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress," your enemies are "uphill" from you?

And how about production? Watch for the airplane that the main characters take off in from the hangar where they find it. Keep track of the N numbers. In one scene, it's one plane, and in another it's an altogether different plane. Dumb dumb dumb. I know that doesn't affect the plot, but christ, if they can make Gary Sinise look like he has no legs, they could digitally fix the N numbers on a plane that appears for ten seconds, tops!

That whole scene with the crane knocking shit over in the beginning was dumb, too. Musta been one of those adamantium cranes, I guess. :S

But Kevin Smith's stuff is amazing. I actually rewatched and took notes on "Chasing Amy," because at the time it really ran parallel to my own feelings in some ways. The guy's a dialogue genius.

I thought the premise of "Dogma" was stupid, though. If the whole issue was about reality getting fucked up if god were fallible and had made a mistake in the great plan, well, it was true -- there WAS a mistake made. The issue in the movie was preventing the mistake from being known, but that has no bearing on the plain fact that there actually had been a mistake made by a fallible god. It was way cool to have Alanis be god, though. MMMmmmmm! I'd do god! :D

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey

And how about production? Watch for the airplane that the main characters take off in from the hangar where they find it. Keep track of the N numbers. In one scene, it's one plane, and in another it's an altogether different plane. Dumb dumb dumb. I know that doesn't affect the plot, but christ, if they can make Gary Sinise look like he has no legs, they could digitally fix the N numbers on a plane that appears for ten seconds, tops!

Yeah, I'm sure that really ruined the movie for a lot of people. You know how American audiences are about their "N" numbers. It reminds me of what a good movie Jaws could have been if all of the Long Island boats hadn't had Massachusetts registration numbers or how good Star Wars could have been if it wasn't for that scene where Luke's X-wing changes from "Red One" on the ground (shown by one red stripe) to "Red Five" in the air (shown by five red stripes).

I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Yeah, I'm sure that really ruined the movie for a lot of people. You know how American audiences are about their "N" numbers. It reminds me of what a good movie Jaws could have been if all of the Long Island boats hadn't had Massachusetts registration numbers or how good Star Wars could have been if it wasn't for that scene where Luke's X-wing changes from "Red One" on the ground (shown by one red stripe) to "Red Five" in the air (shown by five red stripes).

You and Jeffery need to get out more:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

When do they try to establish that Amity Island has anything to do with Long Island? I was not aware that they were supposed to be "Long Island boats." Where'd you get that from?

I gave up on George Lucas when a bunch of Ewoks using logs and boulders were able to take out the elite forces of the Empire. Oh, and the name Jar-Jar Binks comes to mind. Fuckin' stupid stupid stupid.

-
-Jeffrey

they could digitally fix the N numbers on a plane that appears for ten seconds, tops!***
That's 240 frames to fix. Depending on the budget, they may not have been able to correct it.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

they could digitally fix the N numbers on a plane that appears for ten seconds, tops!***
That's 240 frames to fix. Depending on the budget, they may not have been able to correct it.

Dude, it was a movie that cost like, what, $100 million dollars?! I hardly think they couldn't spare the cash to take care of that. That's like Donald Trump claiming he can't afford to keep a good condition spare tire in the trunk of his limo.

-
-Jeffrey

>In one scene, it's one plane, and in another it's an altogether different plane.

Yeah! And in Air America, they called the C-123 a C-123 when it was really a C-123BK! And the sound track had the sound of only those big radials and not the overpowering shriek of the jet engines in those pods. Positively ruined the movie for me.

And don't even get me started on Star Wars. Everyone knows that crossbow bolts wouldn't fit in those little boxes on Chewbacca's bandolier. When I saw that bandolier and saw him carrying a crossbow, I got up and left the theatre after loudly explaining to everyone around me how George Lucas must think everyone in the theater was a moron. If only there were more people like me in theaters, people would better understand how annoying those producers and directors are!

Just found some stuff Kevin Smith posted on his website about this movie:

- This isn't gonna be a cameo-heavy affair, a'la "Strike Back." The only returning characters are Dante and Randal, and Jay and Silent Bob.

- This isn't gonna be a star-studded affair. The biggest names in the cast are gonna be Brian O'Halloran, Jeff Anderson, and Jason Mewes.

- This isn't an "I'm not even supposed to be here today... AGAIN!"-heavy, wink-wink affair. We barely refer to the first flick (though I do love Lynch's proposed tagline of "They Still Don't Like You"; considering the tone of the script, an even more appropriate tagline would be "They Like You Even Less").

- Jay and Silent Bob have about as much screen time as they had in "Clerks." This is Dante and Randal's flick all the way.

- The title makes sense. Sure, there's a bit of cheekiness in there, but it's pretty appropriate, based on the material.

- This is the funniest thing I've ever written. It's also really poignant.

- We'll still be making a "Clerks" cartoon movie, separate of this.

- This is not a grab at the green. Saying so is kinda laughable, if you're privy to what I make per film now, vs. what I'll make for this film. Part of the idea about doing "Passion" is to strip away the trappings of success we've been enjoying for the last few years, in an effort to get to the raw and pure. None of us are making our usual salaries on this flick; we're all doing it favored-nations style, with deferments. If the flick does well, we'll get paid our full-freight on the back-end. If not, we did it for the love. But if I was "all about the green", I'd be gearing up for "Hornet" or "Fletch" instead. This one's about the passion; the passion of the "Clerks."

- Some of the key players from the "Clerks" saga who've already read the 143 page first draft: Mos, Jeff, Brian, John Pierson, Bob Hawk. Jay's reading the new, refined 119 page second draft this week. Once they were all on board, any doubt or hesitation I might've felt about monkeying with the original's legacy disappeared completely.

- This isn't about "Jersey Girl." While disappointed that we didn't do double the theatrical business we crawled to, I understand why what happened to that flick happened (considering how poorly "Gigli" did, I consider us kinda lucky that we got to 25m). If this is a reaction to anything, it's more of a reaction to "Green Hornet", and the trajectory my budgets have been taking lately. Before (and if) I direct "Hornet", I wanted to do something small and more me-like. While working on the "Clerks X" dvd, it became clear to me that "Passion" was the way to go.

- We almost did this flick three years ago, instead of "Strike Back." I'm glad we didn't, because I was able to say much more now than I would've then.

- There are gonna be lots of folks expressing disappointment or downright hostility with the idea of this movie. Let 'em vent. If it's all that bad, Xtian will just sweep it off the board. But the last thing I'm interested in is opinions on what I'm doing this early in the process, if at all. The beauty of making that first flick was being able to do it in a vacuum. Granted, I could've kept my mouth shut about it 'til we were done shooting; but with "Clerks X" coming out, it just felt right to share. Regardless - I don't want folks running here with reports of what's being said about the idea of this film at other boards. Don't waste your/my time with the braying of the jackasses. There's not even a movie to bray about yet. Once there is, if you still still feel the need to tell me what some random, knuckle-headed Talk Backer has to say about the finished product, then God bless. But until then, leave it in the locker room.

- Oh, who am I kidding? This flick makes me so happy, I'm not even bothered by the bitching (could still be even happier without it, though). I'm in love with this flick. If other folks aren't, I can't really say I'm concerned. I've read the script; they haven't. I have the benefit of insight into the flick beyond the title and the notion of it; they don't. The reaction is pretty much what I thought it'd be: a ton of positive, and minimal amount of bitching. Even if the equation was reversed, I'd still feel as good as I do now.

- At this point in my life, this flick makes absolute fucking sense.

- I can't wait to shoot it, and I can't wait 'til you all see it.

- That storyline about Dante and Randal shooting a movie about working at the Quick Stop is the plot of the "Clerks" CARTOON movie. It's secure. The plot of "PotC" is something completely different.

- The flick does NOT employ the tone of the "Clerks" cartoon. It's OG "Clerks" all the way.

- The flick's in both black & white and color.

- Having not seen "South Park" since season two (unless you count the movie), I was unaware they did an episode called "The Passion of the Jew." I don't know how (or if) this info will affect our title.

- There will be no "reunions" or "crossovers" in the flick. Again - the only characters returning are Dante, Randal, Jay, and Bob.

Jay took my college roommate to her prom. I'm dead serious. When I moved in with the girl, she put all these pictures in the window sill. I sat there staring at this one prom picture thinking... that guy looks so familiar! sure enough, it was Jay of Jay and Silent Bob.

Sorry. Random bit of info. :P Carry on...