Tonto

So what's an "Old Timer?"

How about:

Considers the phrase "spot for your reserve, not your main" to be a timeless piece of wisdom.

Walt

I thought it was "cutaway low and spot for your freebag" :o:)
There was blood upon the risers,
there was blood upon...

Only a young whippersnapper would think that!:D

How about:

Considers the phrase "spot for your reserve, not your main" to be a timeless piece of wisdom.

Walt

I thought it was "cutaway low and spot for your freebag" :o:)
There was blood upon the risers,
there was blood upon...

Only a young whippersnapper would think that!:D

Why thank you, it is an original:)

An "Old Timer" friend told me that when you pass the point where you have been jumping longer than you haven't, then skydiving is a "lifestyle" and not a sport. To me that's an OLD TIMER!B|

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

I have heard lots of people refer to old timers as F.O.G's (F@ucking Old Guys). I personally love that one and use it often when Scotty gets going on some old time stories......or just flat out starts "acts like one" ;)
<>
Tami

ask him about his old hot dog cart and what was in all the drawers...........

One time I was out at a restaurant with a bunch of other jumpers and there were a couple of grizzled old timers there. They had probably been in the sport longer than me, but not all *that* much longer.

After one or two beers too many, they started wailing on what a bunch of wimps these low-timers are. If you've seen Dana Carvey's "Cranky old man" character you get the picture.

"Well back in *my* day....."

The older guys started talking about back in the day when we didn't get our water training in a pool--we did jumps in the middle of a big lake.

Now, yes, that really was what we did back then, but I don't think it gives anyone license to look down on someone who doesn't do a for-real water jump. These guys, though, were really getting into it!

I was sitting at the other end of the table rolling my eyes and was next to Brent Buckner, a jumper who has a phenomenal talent for being a real wiseass. He started doing a tremendous job of mocking them using the "Cranky old man" character voice:

"Well back in my day, we didn't have no fancy water training in a damn pool! We jumped in the middle of a shark filled lake!!! And had chum strapped all over us!! We had to swim five miles to shore..."

I was laughing painfully hard and he just kept on talking trash. Fortunately, the older guys didn't hear any of it or there might have been a pretty good fight started.

I love moments like that.

Walt

"Well back in my day, we didn't have no fancy water training in a damn pool! We jumped in the middle of a shark filled lake!!! And had chum strapped all over us!! We had to swim five miles to shore..."

..."and we LIKED IT"!!:P

I have another old timer definition...

You're an old timer when ya go to replace the Frap Hat you wore out, and you can't believe the price has DOUBLED since ya last ordered one...:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

All the threads about buzzing canopies with wingsuits made me think of this one...

t

Its lots of things. From my experience it would be: (not in any particular order)

Having Jerry Bird coach you and put you on your first big way.

Going from the (hot at the time "Raider") to a ZP canopy and having Rickster help you with your landings.

Having jumped a NOVA (OMG)

Receiving the honor and pleasure of having Gus Wing stay late at night in the hanger helping you assemble and configure your first camera helmet.

Proudly wearing a “Tree People” shirt during a BIC course at Z-Hills and not giving a shit.

Jumping the Florabama.

Pulling off a bandit demo.

Doing a Cross Country with four of your best friends while having two beers stuffed in your jump suit.

And most important, having met some of the most wonderful people in the world.

God!! I Love this Sport!

Randy

And most important, having met some of the most wonderful people in the world.

God!! I Love this Sport!

Randy

The above says it all for me. Jumpers are the most wonderful people I've ever met and I feel out of place and ill at ease in any group of people bigger than five...unless they all jump out of airplanes.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm approaching the point where I've been a non-jumping jumper longer than I spent 'in the life.'

Fortunately, I have a 13 year old daughter who can't wait to jump and I'll be jumping with her...a long five year wait from now.

This 'sport' we all love is really a life-style, a unique perspective, a view on the world which totally embraces the freedom of one's personal spirit.

My daily shot of DZ.com helps me to remember what it was like to strap on a 28' cheapo that I modified on an old peddle-driven Singer machine into a *fast* 7 gore TU just like the Golden Knights were jumping.

Damn I love this sport and the people!!!

And Scotty is the craziest jumper I've ever known...and I've known a few.
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper

This thread turned out WAY better than I expected it to! And the majority of people think it's a lot of dives that make you an old timer. (Next question, of course, is how many is "a lot."

I'm lucky I started where and when I did. I'n South Africa, in 1985, student progression was on round canopies. My 1st jump was on a C9, and once I was on freefall, (from 2500ft with no AAD) I was cleared for the "higher performing" C9.

My 1st jump course was about 4 hours, and the biggest part of it, at least half, covered PLF's and being dragged. My 1st square jump was on a Viking Superlite - with wooden steering toggles, and I dreamed of one day having a Paraflite main - I took a lot of flack from my teachers for moving to a square reserve at 100 dives, a Swift, due to me "having more experience on rounds" and so bought a Swift main so I'd be comfortable with my reserve. My GF never had to stand tension for me again, and tunnel checks were a thing of the past. Break-tie disapeared from my vocabulary until now.

I have nearly 3000 of my dives out of Cessnas. 172's, 182's, 185's, 206's, 207's and 210's, most of which had no in flight door. I did my water training with a jump into the sea, in a little place called Hermanus, now world famous for whale watching. I remember adverts for 170 sq ft mains with tag lines like "Dare you jump it?" with recomendations of min 1000 dives. My 1st CRW was unplanned, being
top docked at 1500ft by the guy I'd just done a jump from altitude with - and altitude was 8500ft.

I recall ZP, and crossbracing - long before microline, and chest mounted altimeters, and Motorcycle "Jet" helmets. And learning to spot. And learning to spot. and Kroops goggles. And jumpsuits that were ALL spandex, and made people look like seals about to be clubbed. And then came "Day-Glo" and everyone wore pink. And it faded SO fast.

I remember some of the 4 way blocks that stayed in for only a year, like Icepick to horseshoe, and those I felt would never leave, like snowflake to box. I remember camera flyers who had the whole VCR
on their chests, and still managed to swoop, and camera's that weighed... fucking lots! And subscribing to Skydiving Magazine and it dawning on me that there were other people who skydived, maybe even a few 100 of them - in other places, far far away.

I remember BASE, when it was banned here and the penalty was lifetime grounding, and secretly reading "The fixed object journal" to glean the information needed to survive my 1st Bridge. I had no problems on the dive - but took 5 hours trying to figure out how to climb out of the 700 ft gorge!

I recall being told about "Jerry Bird and the All Stars" (I think) and wanting to meet him. By the time I made it to Quincy in 1992, I was on better dives than the ones he was organising, but I sat in on his evening seminars anyway - and still learned loads. I got to jump with him 2 years later at the "Post Equinox" boogie in Australia - and loved the dives he organised.

These days, when I hook my Skyflier 3 - Special up to my Mirage G4,
I'm amazed how far the equipment has come, and how little the people have changed. Sure, there's a constant set of new people who come and go, all thinking the sport has given them all it has to offer before moving on, but there are those people I looked up to 20 years ago who still have things to teach, and there are those I've taught who I've learned more from than they ever learned from me.

It really is quite a ride, and I'm still enjoying every day.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I see a WHOLE lot of square stuff in all of that...

I only have 60 jumps on a round main, and maybe a little over 100 on a rig equipped with a round reserve. About 10 years back I impressed a bunch of people by landing a round reserve in the pit after chopping from a wrapped diamond. (It was borrowed gear.)

But I can spot!

t

An "Old Timer" friend told me that when you pass the point where you have been jumping longer than you haven't, then skydiving is a "lifestyle" and not a sport. To me that's an OLD TIMER!

Looks like I just became an old-timer!
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."

I agree. I don't think i've ever used it to refer to someone though and unfortnately i get the sense that it's often a derogatory term.

Really? I think the term "old timer" is kind of a compliment. I jump with a few guys who've been skydiving for 30-40+ years, and I see that experience as something interesting and positive.

I agree completely Dave, i just saw it used in the other thread in the context of "some old timer getting his panties in a knot" and didn't like what i read. I value the experience of those who have come before me, especially the man that started this thread as he taught me to skydive. It's wierd though, i've never tjought of him as an old timer :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

There ARE some people out there who have been in the sport a long time, and who don't like the new disiplines, and think that new, safer gear takes the Darwin out of the sport.:o

There were people who were very experienced when I started that I wouldn't even speak to these days because their attitude has remained the same - and so has their skillset - which by todays standards is pretty shocking.

There's nothing wrong with missing "The good old days," but when I hear some of my peers lamenting the days when we did 15 loads out of a 206, and complaining that people do "Too many jumps" these days, I do worry that it may happen to me one day.

I may have taught you to read an alti, and to pull when it was time, but you need to take the credit for sticking with it, for leaving the small pool and seeing how the world works, for pushing you limits, finding them and limping back into the sport.

This really is something we choose to do each time we wake up on a jumping day - usually a weekend - and head out on that long drive with the dreams in our head of what the day will bring.

Maybe I'm simple, but I just like it, you know? That just makes me want more.

t

You're an old timer when ya go to replace the Frap Hat you wore out, and you can't believe the price has DOUBLED since ya last ordered one...:|

I pulled my frap hat out of the locker last season and it was completely covered in mold. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure it's still good for a couple more seasons.

has anyone brought up the ability to spot? ;)

edit prompted from Jimmy - another item, has spent windy or raining days making wind drift indicators - and knows how to use them

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

An Old Timer is an active skyiver, still to this day, who was or is....

1. inspired to begin jumping because of "RIPCORD"
2. made a dozen or so jumps wearing a pair of
Sears-Roebuck grey-striped 'mechanics overalls'
3. Skydived many many times wearing a BELL motorcycle helmet
4. Thought a cessna 180 or cesnna 182 was a "big" airplane..
5. Remembers the reality of 3 dollars to 3 grand and five bucks to "altitude" 7-5......
6. Knows what 'flaking a cheapo' means and
was around, when the term PC ran a shiver up your spine.
7.Remembers when Most skydivers were construction workers or motorcycle riders or college students or their respective girlfriends.. you know,,, NON 'professionals'
8. Knows what "standing tension" means
9. Knows what a bungee is and knows what NOT to do with it....
10. Is intimately familiar with the terms Pioneer 3 pin, Stylemaster, thunderbow, minisystem, sweethog.
11. Spent more $$$$ on a great dinner with friends, after making 5 jumps,,, than what the jumps cost.
12. USED to do 'normal things' on the weekends.
13. Can assemble a shot and a half setup, properly, with thier eyes closed.
14. Can RELEASE a shot and a half setup,, simultaneously AND not panic,, while doing it during a malfunction
15. Busted 1000 feet while still in freefall, (sometimes with friends along as well ) and then sucessfully managed to avoid the DZO the rest of the day.
16. knows how to land, "backing Up".
17. REALLY paid attention to the training which emphasized the Dangers of the sport and of being too cavalier about it.
18. Aparrantly learned well, cause they are still kickin' it, and lovin' every minute of it.
19. Someone who if asked to "go make up some WDI's", knows HOW to do it....
20. Someone who has hand propped a single engine plane at least 10 times... "HOT" !!!!!
21. Someone who remembers "rings and ropes" AND can explain the supposed engineering concept behind it.
22. Someone who laid base for the newbies, for NO $$$$$ whatsoever, paid their own slot, grinned as wide as the newebie, when they all landed and understands the idea. of Staying in place ,, during a jump.
23. someone who make seem OLD but who carries youthful enthusiasm with them each time they board a plane.
24. someone who is wise
25. someone who has a pair of Para Boots, still kicking around in a closet.
26 someone who remembers Accuracy meets, and maybe won one or two in the 60's and 70's.
27. someone who was jumping when many were in diapers and will STILL be jumping, when those same
Youngsters buy thier first pair of ADULT diapers....
28. A Blessed person,, who has been privledged to have 'seen it all' and has experienced and indeed contributed, to the evolution of our sport.
29. Someone who DOES have respect for ALL the disciplines of today, and who admires and emulates those who persue new ideas.
30. ME ......:)