NWFlyer

Do You Know All Your Serial Numbers?

Seeing the recent thread about stolen gear and the posts reminding the victim to include serial numbers was a nice reminder to me to write all my serial numbers down.

Yes, my rigger probably has the serial numbers for my container and reserve (and maybe my main) written down. But what about my altimeters (wrist and two audibles)? My helmet (my own open face and a full-face that I'm currently borrowing)? I'm not sure which of these have serial numbers, but I'm about to go find out and jot them all down, and take photos of all of my gear that doesn't have serial numbers so at least I can track identifying marks where possible.

And take photos of everything ... in case I ever have to file an insurance claim. Hope I never use it, but it'll be there if I do.

Further research shows no serial numbers on the audibles or helmets, but photos have been taken of everything in my gear bag that's worth more than a couple of bucks...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Good reminder I need to write down a few other serial numbers my self (good set of pictures also helps), also a good time to bring up for people to see what your coverage and if any limits for off premises coverage on your home owners insurance.

I checked mine when I bought my gear and it wouldn't have covered the replacement value cost of everything I could potently travel to the DZ with like with laptop cameras ect so I had my policy adjusted to cover it all. It only ended up adding a few more dollars a month. Better safe then broke.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I have my serial numbers cause i'm a rigger and it's all in my logbook. About a year ago i started taking pictures of my customer's reserves too. That way if someone's gear is ever stolen i can give them the serial numbers and a pic of their reserve. Most jumpers already have pics of their main and container, but few have pics of their reserves.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have all my serial numbers written down, they were required for my insurance, so i have the Fax original for that.:)

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I advise all my customers to photocopy their packing data card and keep that copy in a filing cabinet or safe at home for this type of thing as well.

Mike

Great idea, Mike. In my inventory this afternoon I took a high-res photo of my data card (clear enough to read all the numbers), so now I've got that on my PC at home and uploaded to a non-public location on a secure photo site. Of course, main canopy info is typically not on that card, so next time I have my main out I'll be taking a photo of the label on that as well (I'm hoping the S/N info is still readable on that, if not I do know the original owner and can probably get that info from him).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I used to have a Cypres 1. I tried to memorize the damn serial number - but I never could. It was like

346512 FC 2348632 BC 39391985 AD 20389586 - 23

I hated writting those stoopid things when I made new packing data cards for customers. I never could write small enough...

:P

=========Shaun ==========

Great idea, Mike. In my inventory this afternoon I took a high-res photo of my data card (clear enough to read all the numbers), so now I've got that on my PC at home and uploaded to a non-public location on a secure photo site. Of course, main canopy info is typically not on that card, so next time I have my main out I'll be taking a photo of the label on that as well (I'm hoping the S/N info is still readable on that, if not I do know the original owner and can probably get that info from him).

Oh, You never can be enough prepared or paranoid...;)

About a year ago i started taking pictures of my customer's reserves too.

Sarcasim:

Take a picture of a white PDR. Call it "White". Take a picture of a blue one. Call it "Blue". Take a picture of a yellow one. Call it "Yellow".

Now you have every possible combination of reserves.:P Just write down the color in the log book.

Or, do you take pictures of the nameplate and printed serial number?

Or, do you take pictures of the nameplate and printed serial number?

Yes, thats what i take a pic of...i guess i didn't clarify that in my original post....smartass!! :P:D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Yeah I'm learning the hard way on how to do it all. Even though my rigger did have all the serial numbers to my rig. I still didn't have them for my helmet or altimeters etc.

Also if you have all your money invested in your toys, like I do, it might not be a bad idea to get renters insurance, which would have covered my loss.

Yeah I'm learning the hard way on how to do it all. Even though my rigger did have all the serial numbers to my rig. I still didn't have them for my helmet or altimeters etc.

you have a serial number on your helmet?? what type is it
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Bump.... good thing to do as many of us are starting the season. This can help in case of theft or other loss (saw a recent post about needing to file an insurance claim after a storage area got flooded).

Reminder to myself to update my info for my newer gear.

Pictures are good too. I have pictures of data labels on a SD card that hides in my safety deposit box at the bank (it has pics of my other valuables too)

One way is to take a cheap "white board" and write info like S/Ns, make and model, date purchaed, and so on and put it in the picture.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Bump... on this cloudy day, with two recently-relined mains unpacked at home, I took photos of my main canopies, my main data labels, my container data labels, and the packing data cards for both rigs (which gives me the serial numbers for reserves & AADs). Also helmet, altimeter, audibles, and jumpsuit.

Of all the gear I photographed today, I realized that the only thing I owned the last time I took photos was what is now my backup container. All the other components in that rig have been replaced since then, and I have a second complete rig, and hadn't taken down the info for any of that stuff.

This is good stuff to have - hopefully you'll never have to use it, but it's worth the investment of a few minutes to have all the information documented.