How close are these two planes?

They are obviously close in every respect except vertical separation. The similar aspects of both aircraft lend to that theory.

Vertical separation is hard to tell, especially with telephoto lenses. They could be within 2,000' vertically and now as close as 1,000' due to RVSM that was implimented Jan 20.

RVSM reduces the vertical separation between flight level (FL) 290–410 from 2000 ft to 1000 ft and makes six additional FL’s available for operation.

http://www.faa.gov/ats/ato/rvsm1.htm

The lower a/c is a DHL Airbus A300B4-203 freighter and the higher a/c is a Japan Air Lines Boeing 777-346ER. The 777 is a bit bigger but 2,000' to 1,000' of vertical separation is close no matter what your perspective.

The fact that Airbus flies the A300 with that livery in Europe, this is probably not in the US. RVSM in Europe went into effect in 2002.

--
--

Vertical separation is hard to tell, especially with telephoto lenses. They could be within 2,000' vertically and now as close as 1,000' due to RVSM that was implimented Jan 20.

I don't know...even with a telephoto lens, if this shot was not doctored, 2000' separation would show better focus on one or the other, I would think
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/2577187/

Being discussed in depth on airliners.net

if they had 1,000' vertical, they are in compliance.

Interestingly, a DHL 757 and a Russian TU-154 had a mid-air over Germany in 2002.

http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news053.htm

It was controller error, had the crew followed their TCAS resolution advisories (RA) and ignored the controller, this would have been averted.

--

even with a telephoto lens, if this shot was not doctored, 2000' separation would show better focus on one or the other, I would think

Not necessarily. If the shot was taken from the ground, and the lens was a really good one (L glass, for example), the aperature and shutter speed, and if focus was set out to infinity, it is really, really hard to diferentiate focal points in moving objects at a distance. Think of it in terms of shooting stars. We all know there are millions of miles separating them from each other, but only in rare instances are we able to see some slight Depth of Field (which is what you're talking about) between stars.

Dunno if this was doctored, but it doesn't look like it at first glance.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I think they'd have to be kind of far apart. The wake vortex coming off of that 777 would be massive off of both engines. The wake behind usually ends up flowing down behind the flight path of the airline and can be as long as 300 yards or more long depending on wind, type of plane and air density/pressure.

If that DHL were flying that close underneath the heavy, it would be directly in the wake of it and that basically means that it has the possibility of ripping a piece of that plane apart....wake vorticies are not cool and have been known to cause a few crashes.....

We learn all this shit in my aerospace classes....its pretty cool actually...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

It's the same effect as watching footage of someone in free fall shot from a helicopter. The objects on the ground look almost as big as the jumper does. Watching the footage, you're certain they're a split second from bouncing, even though they're half a mile above the ground. I'd chalk it up to long focal length.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

How close? okay, I have several formulae for this, lemme run it through and do the data analysis...(ok, add, carry the one, multiply) ah.. yes.. I've got it: Too Close.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Where are you taking classes? I just finished with Aerodynamics...b*tch of a class, but very informative. Crazy

The University of Michigan. Yeah I had that class last semester, that final was murder.....but an enjoyable class
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----