kc10boom

Jarhead...

Just got back from the theatre and I have to say that I was not to terribly impressed with the movie. A good story but, it felt like they tried to hard to make a modern day Full Metal Jacket. I am not saying don't go see it; it was just a little disappointing. [:/]

NKAWTG...N

Maybe I need to go jump or something

you may have something there.

I jumped four times today, had alot of shit go wrong durring the day but everything is all good in the world b/c i jumped and 99% of the world didn't!B|
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I am not saying it was not a good movie with a qualifying story line; I knew it was based on a true story before I went, just thought it would have a little more...umfff...to it. I do not doubt it's accuracy at all, it just seemed slow.

I saw it myself after hearing the same in the reviews. I think that was part of the point of the movie. Not all experiences were the same. Their tour was not the exciting shoot anything that moved type of war.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Just read the book. Haven't seen the movie. Thought the book was great, and I can't imagine that they're going to get across a lot of the subtlety of the book in the movie (and from the reviews I've read, they don't....).

Book's worth a read, though. He's got a great voice.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I read the book by Swofford about two years ago, and the movie is true to the book. It shows the Corps, warts and all. If you want a glamorized war movie with lots of action, this isn't it. It ain't no "Saving Private Ryan", but it's still worth a see. I also kept thinking it was just an update of "Full Metal Jacket" or "Platoon", complete with shitter-burning detail.

The "wart" scenes that I found disturbing, seemed to be highly amusing to the teenagers in the theatre. So what the heck do I know...

Don't take the kiddies: there is sex, masturbation, and simulated homo butt-fucking, not to mention charred corpses.

I knew it was based on a true story before I went, just thought it would have a little more...umfff...to it. I do not doubt it's accuracy at all, it just seemed slow.

people often compare movies to music, and like in music, the space between the notes can be as important as the notes themselves. Your comment about there being more umff could just as easily be construed as commentary on the war itself or how the soldiers feel about it, as well as how it relates to the plot. (how visceral or realistic, etc)

huh? :P

reviews mentioned this wasn't a "shoot 'em up" kind of movie.

although my time in the military involved no combat duty, i found a LOT in common with the story told in jar head....

1)the hurry up and wait (and wait and wait)

2)stupid shit that might have a point, but it's overdone so the point is completely missed.

3)there is nothing glorious about war, combat or killing people

if you are interested in seeing a documentary about some soldiers spending time in Iraq, rent Gunner Palace. If you liked Jarhead, you'll like Gunner Palace.

Just read the book. Haven't seen the movie. Thought the book was great, and I can't imagine that they're going to get across a lot of the subtlety of the book in the movie (and from the reviews I've read, they don't....).

Book's worth a read, though. He's got a great voice.

Having just seen the movie, I'd have to say it's not as good as the book. The movie's good in its own right, but it's missing the book's voice.

After Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brother's series, not many war movies have done it for me.

I am not in the mood for some "why am I hear crap..." or "is this war worth fighting". That is the feeling I have gotten from the previews.

I really do not want to see homo butt-fucking, charred corpes I can deal with.
glad to be here!!

there is sex, masturbation, and simulated homo butt-fucking, not to mention charred corpses.

Now if that doesn't bring people running to the box office I don't know what will. :D Sounds like all the really important stuff in most Marine's lives. :D:D

hey I resemble that comment.......:S ummm I mean.... cough.......

it seemed to be fairly accurate on how we (Marines) behave and talk in our everyday lives, I would think that some of it you would just have to be a Marine to understand. But the general though is right it did seem a little slow even though it was based off a book they could have put a little flair in it.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I'm from the government and I'm here to help’. ~Ronald Reagan

30,000,000 legal firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

.... complete with shitter-burning detail.

You burn the shit; not the shitter, and please keep the door shut otherwise the shit-eating flies will head for the mess hall.:P

I stand corrected. That hyphen did kind of make it misleading.

You sound like you have experience on this choice assignment?

.... complete with shitter-burning detail.

You burn the shit; not the shitter, and please keep the door shut otherwise the shit-eating flies will head for the mess hall.:P

I stand corrected. That hyphen did kind of make it misleading.

You sound like you have experience on this choice assignment?

Well, they didn't give me a t shirt. The rest is classified.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.