Snowbird

Watch the Olympic closing!

If you aren't watching it live, catch the replay! During the ceremony - about an hour in - there's a nice 5 minutes or so of open air tunnel flying. The flying was great to watch. Does anyone know who participated? They flew a tube over in the middle of the stadium! Very nice!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Okay, I've got it live on CBC now...

What the fuck is up with the 20 million women in wedding dresses?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

> Does anyone know who participated? They flew a tube over in the middle of the stadium!
Yes, I do. It was the wind tunnel of Airodium, Zurich.
They transferred and installed it back into the stadium of Torino for the closing ceremony. Blokes included ;)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

7pm for east coasters :)

On NBC at 7 p.m. for west coasters as well. For those who also get CBC, they showed the closing ceremonies live this afternoon and are replaying some of the events tonight. So NBC is the place to see the tunnel flying tonight.

And somebody, please explain the chicks in the wedding dresses to me when that part comes on. Thanks. :D

And somebody, please explain the chicks in the wedding dresses to me when that part comes on. Thanks. :D

I haven't seen this but your posts have me curious now. Seems a bit our of place but to each his own.
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

I haven't seen this but your posts have me curious now. Seems a bit our of place but to each his own.

I was only half-watching the CBC coverage, so if they explained it, I missed it. NBC will probably take the same approach they did with the opening ceremonies and explain exactly how it fits in with the overall theme.

It was the wind tunnel of Airodium, Zurich.
They transferred and installed it back into the stadium of Torino for the closing ceremony. Blokes included

Thanks! If you know those blokes personally, tell them they did a great job! They impressed my whuffo friends too.B| I've already had people asking me how they did that.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I was only half-watching the CBC coverage, so if they explained it, I missed it. NBC will probably take the same approach they did with the opening ceremonies and explain exactly how it fits in with the overall theme.

The NBC commentators said only that the brides (400 of them) were "a symbol of hope".

It was the wind tunnel of Airodium, Zurich.
They transferred and installed it back into the stadium of Torino for the closing ceremony. Blokes included

Not correct. Although Bodyflying Switzerland was also asked, the OC decided to go with Aerodium Latvia www.aerodium.lv.
But I'm not sure if the relocated their existing tunnel or built a new one for games...

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Hey Andy, thank goodness for your voice of reason!
I almost freaked when I saw the Zurich crew get the credit above!!!

Hey guys... I'm feelin a bit left out of the loop... I announced all of this months before the event... the only change was moving it from opening ceremonies to closing ceremonies.

The OC made their rounds on everyone and we sent them their way. Ivars, the owner of the Latvian tunnel, came here to the states and met with us. We reviewed the outline & stage plans for the tunnel and the flying to be done. The tunnel was built for this purpose.

http://www.bodyflight.net/2006_torinno_olympics_.html

Video will be online shortly

It was.
I think flying like that is WAY WAY WAY cooler than any tricks or skydiving the tunnel!

Ivars and his crew did a fabulous job.. the announcers did a fabulous job too... I only wish they had called it by it's proper name.

Our website was FLOODED with visitors after the East Coast showing... it's going to do great things for all of us. I believe it's the LONGEST TV exposure we've (the industry) has ever gotten on such a global scale!!!

I think flying like that is WAY WAY WAY cooler than any tricks or skydiving the tunnel!

very low key and peaceful - just get up and pose, move slow

I was wondering if that was fully intentional or if the column was tight and they were restricted in doing more dynamic moves. It fit/set the tone of that part of the ceremony well.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I was wondering if that was fully intentional or if the column was tight and they were restricted in doing more dynamic moves. It fit/set the tone of that part of the ceremony well.

Wow!:S

I counted a number of freestyle/freefly maneuvers done, all traditional tunnelflying; over and unders, T's, flips, sitflying, and spins, not to mention 2 way, adding a freefly tube oh.. and flying somewhere around 50' above a stage over tiny cushion in front of the world in an open air tunnel about 8 feet in diameter and probably doing speeds of 110mph only, and they knew we would all be watching!!!!

If you ask me.. that was one of the most dynamic performances I have seen in a wind tunnel quite possibly EVER!!!:)
oh.. and lets not forget, they have only been flying about a year themselves and had to learn not only to fly but to add all the winter equipment and build a VWT for the project!

Again.. VERY DYNAMIC!!

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE!!!!!!

added: I'll have everyone know, I was so PROUD of the whole thing I teared up! It was SOO wonderful and beautiful, I couldn't have choreographed a better display of tunnelflying myself or picked better flyers for the occassion!!!!! They were PERFECT! It was the BEST representation of all the reasons we Tunnelrats fly.. it was very touching...perfect.

(having trouble uploading the video I'll keep you all posted)

flying somewhere around 50' above a stage over tiny cushion in front of the world in an open air tunnel about 8 feet in diameter and probably doing speeds of 110mph only, and they knew we would all be watching

that was the very cool part - only tunnel flyers would know just how tight the conditions really were

Again.. VERY DYNAMIC!!

Say what you will, I thought it was very calm and not dynamic compared to much of what we see in tunnels by the experts. It's not a dig, either, it was a compliment based on the conditions.

Did they go more than once? I saw something a part that was well into the ceremonies

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Say what you will, I thought it was very calm and not dynamic compared to much of what we see in tunnels by the experts. It's not a dig, either, it was a compliment based on the conditions.

Hmm.. I know where this is going, so I'll have to choose my words carefully.

That was the most excellent display and a very THOROUGH REPRESENTATION of tunnel flying and what we Tunnelrats love to do, what the sport has always been about, why we fly and why millions of other people do and should fly. That is what you will find being done at most VWTs when you visit, that's what you can expect to learn at most VWTs when you pay to fly, that's what most of the industry is doing.

I'll also say I have a hard time watching someone "skydiving in the tunnel" and calling it tunnelflying, at least admit your practicing skydiving disciplines! What your doing is utterly different than anything I ever saw before a year or so after SVO opened up, and doesn't even utilize the same basic theories & premises I learned as a tunnel student. Tunnelflying disciplines are apparently very different and as I ask most SV flyers about their progression..well they are not well versed in the same things at all. Lets just admit that we're all different.. it's ok ya know.

It also seems so clear that generally skydivers prefer wall-to-wall air and generally tunnelrats prefer anything BUT wall to wall air even if it means speeds that we can barely fly in!! again.. that's ok.

I think we should embrace the differences between us... if you learn to fly at 90mph in a big floppy suit at flyaway with me, I'll learn who SPOCK is and come to SVO or wherever the heck your at:P
We can make the world a whole lot brighter!

> a very THOROUGH REPRESENTATION of tunnel flying . . . .

I didn't think so at all. It was a simplified version of what we see in tunnels all the time. Like Rehmwa said, it worked well _because_ it was slow, simple and calm.

Compare it to demos. People are mightily impressed by seeing a jumper with a 210 sq ft canopy landing on a dime. Swooping 150 feet over their heads and landing near the same dime on an 85 sq ft canopy may be technically more difficult, and much more death-defying. but it doesn't impress them any more.

They did some basic routines which showed off the capabilities of wind tunnels quite well. Having Amy C in there burning it up wouldn't have added much to the overall show; indeed, it may have detracted from the spectacle of a guy bellyflying on (apparently) thin air.

sounds good to me - I like clear definition. the words, slow/simple/calm can be read as 'simplistic and amateurish' or they can be read as 'elegant'

I meant the 2nd, you're still reading the 1st. Sorry to put you off with the semantics. BTW - I'll try to join you at an open air tunnel site someday, I think it would a blast and I'd learn a ton.

I don't think I'm interpreting anything... you said "compared to much of what we see in tunnels by the experts"

Im married to and constantly surrounded by the cream of the crop for our industry... what you see in the video is the same thing they all do, what I strive for.. maybe they could've done more head spins or 50' dives and delta Ts.. but all in all they didn't miss much of anything "we see in tunnels by the experts":)
I would love to meet you somewhere outdoors or open air... that would be cool.. vegas, here or even meet you at the portable.. too bad I can't come down to FL this weekend and fly the outdoor tunnel we could meet then... sorry I see you live in MN... hmm.. well.. if a portable ever comes around there.. perhaps I can fly up:)

I caught the wind tunnel performance purely by chance last night (and in high definition!). I thought given the venue and the audience, it was very well done and an incredible chance for exposure on a scale probably not experienced by this discipline before. The fascination by the commentators and the audience was still tangible up to the commercial break. I think the decision to keep it elegantly simple as compared to some of the more radical moves seen in some tunnel videos worked well, the sight of a more difficult move gone wrong 20' up in a narrow column in front of an international audience of millions would have put it right back into the "daredevil" mode skydiving is to the masses. Instead, it had the commentators considering trying it themselves! Congrats to everyone involved!:)

Although I was ready after a few minutes to see more advanced maneuvers, ..... I think the decision to keep it simple worked well,...

you don't really want to go there;)

trust me :P:P I already made that mistake and made a friend uncomfortable.[:/]