Sick_Of_It_All

Good books you've read lately.

I'm looking for something new to read, was curious what others have read and enjoyed lately.

I just finished BASE66, great book! Just wish it was a little longer, I think it took me just over an hour to read.

Before that I read Stiff by Mary Roach. If you are at all interested in what happens to your body when you die, check this book out, excellent read.

And I am forever encouraging everyone to read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Or any of his books for that matter, but Ishmael should be read before My Ishmael and The Story of B.

At the risk of making this thread poltical, the last book I read was The Commitment by Dan Savage. Like his Savage Love column it's wickedly funny, even if it does deal with a "controversial" topic. I loved it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'm looking for something new to read, was curious what others have read and enjoyed lately.

I just finished BASE66, great book! Just wish it was a little longer, I think it took me just over an hour to read.

Before that I read Stiff by Mary Roach. If you are at all interested in what happens to your body when you die, check this book out, excellent read.

And I am forever encouraging everyone to read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. Or any of his books for that matter, but Ishmael should be read before My Ishmael and The Story of B.

Re-read these recently:

"Snowcrash," by Neal Stephenson
"Lord of Light," by Roger Zelazney
"Protector," by Larry Niven
"The Wars of the Roses," by Alison Wier

Cell by Stephen King. It grabbed my attention in the first 10 pages and was a page-turner after that. Of course I'm a pretty big SK fan, not sure how well it'd be received by someone who's not.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

i'm working my way through ishmael now. been at it awhile now actually, i just pick it up and read a chapter now and then. i'm also reading 'god's debris' by scott adams (yes, the dilbert guy, no, it isn't a dilbert book) seems kinda similar to ishmael in a lot of ways, so far anyway. it's available online free here.

currently reading mona lisa overdrive by william gibson. just found out it's the end of a trilogy. figures, now i know why it wasn't making a lot of sense in places. :S

just finished 'odd thomas' by dean koontz. pretty cool book.
also by koontz, 'lightning' was a good sci-fi-ish tale.

reread 'angels and demons' and 'the da vinci code' by dan brown.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

i'm also reading 'god's debris' by scott adams (yes, the dilbert guy, no, it isn't a dilbert book) seems kinda similar to ishmael in a lot of ways, so far anyway. it's available online free here.

Damn, and I bought that book! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet though. I have a bunch of books I plan on reading, and a bunch of gift certificates to B&N and Borders. Thanks for the suggestions guys/gals, I'm gonna get me some new books tonight.

"Into Thin Air" by Jonathan Krakauer. When you think you have had a bad day, read into this one!B|

"A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffet A little on the light and fluffy side, but it so happened I picked it up for my Belize trip, without knowing a significant amount of it takes place in the town I was staying.

"Imajica" by Clive Barker. Long read, amazing plot.

If you're into fast paced thrillers, whether political or murder - anything by John Lescroart, Vince Flynn, Michael Connelly... Also recommend Dan Brown's "Digital Fortress."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Just bought a new book today, "Blink, the power of thinking without thinking". It's explores the phenomenon of how snap judgements can be a lot more effective then a cautious decision.

Other then that, some of my favourite books.
Hyperion by Dan Simmons, also Endymion, Illiad and Olympos
The book of bunny suicides, (very funny)
Anything by Iain M. Banks
Anything by Alastair Reynolds: Revelation Space, Chasm City, Redemption Ark, Century Rain, Pushing Ice.
Everything by Neil Gaimen

And that's the books in my "ready read" pile.

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I've just finished Velocity by Dean Koontz.

"Billy Wiles is an easygoing, hardworking guy who leads a quiet, ordinary life. But that is about to change. One evening, after his usual eight-hour bartending shift, he finds a typewritten note under the windshield wiper of his car: If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher somewhere in Napa County. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours."

The story continues with other choices he is forced to makes, as his life is turned upside down....

--------------------------------------------------
You only have one life, make the most of it.

I just finished "One Perfect Op" by Dennis Chalker. Not a bad read. Especially if you've read the stretched truth "Rogue Warrior." This gives a better look at the real story IMO.

Beyond that "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich" is a good read, if you enjoy history.

"The Charm School" by DeMille was also a very good read. Infact I've read quite a few of his books and enjoyed them.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what about :

'tragedy on the cliff' by ilene dover
'rusty bedsprings' by i.p. nightly
'race to the outhouse', a collaboration by willy makit, betty wont, andy didnt
'brown spots on the wall' by hu thru poo

[there's no groan smiley]:S[:/]B|
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001