Describe the best bbq you ever had

Ashtanga wins for making me laugh so hard I peed a little.

The best BBQ I have ever had was in Argentina. I became a vegetarian for a while when I got back to the states mostly because the meat here tasted so bland.

--------------

(Do not, I repeat DO NOT, take my posts seriously.)

Flints in Oakland California...period.

Use to live pretty close to Flints. It's pretty good.

The best I have ever had was while on a road trip through Texas. It was in what looked like an old service station made of corrugated metal roofing. It looked so bad I wouldn't want to even park my car there. But once I went inside and smelled that aroma, wow. Only served beef or pork ribs and steak cut as thick as you like it, plus all you can eat of the sides. The meat was tender, but man the sauce was a total mouth orgasm. :o The "hot" had just the right amount of heat, sweet and smokey balance. After gutting out, I went to the counter to buy some of the sauce to go, but they could only sell it in "approved" containers and they were out. :( I would have thrown a tizzy fit, but didn't want to ruin the moment. I've been tempted to go back just for some more ribs. The only problem is that I would have to go back to Texas.[:/]
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I live in phoenix there is no good bbg here. but in Kansas city "Arther Bryant’s" is the best I have ever had. I highly recommend it.

Lived in K.C. for about 10 yr's. Used to eat at Arthur's both befor and after he went to the big bbq in the sky.

Facilities went upscale after Arthur left but the food and sause stayed the same. Damn I miss that place and the guy with the big hands.

Good news is we got plenty of Arthur's sauce with us:)
Damn>:( now I gotta call arthur's and see if they'll deliver to Seattle.

E.I.P.

Best ever?

In Skreamer's back yard just outside of London.

We had met just the previous year at the Holiday Boogie at Eloy, and he gave me his couch and a douvet for a week. Really spending some time with him and his South African roomies (flatmates?) was neat. I'll never forget it.

In SA they make a neato toast appetizer on the grill. They also like this kind of jerkey that is softer than the jerkey over in the US.

Hey, Will, you hosted the best "barbie" I've been to yet.

;)

That sounds nice. Biltong i think is what you are referring to right? I love that stuff (both folks were from South Africa, dad used to make his own in the airing cupboard when we were growing up).

What's the toast thing though? Never heard of that before.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I accidentally scratched the lions balls with a hot fork when it was sleeping and it got really mad at me so we had to put it down.

Bwahhhhhhhhh!! Killin' me Nate!

Best BBQ all the way around was in Lake Wales over the 4th of July. Ken cooked all day and everything from scratch. Chicken, brisket, sausage,corn bread, slaw and beans.
The meat had a honey cajun season that was just right.

Many times you go to a BBQ and only a few items are good, this was supurb all the way around.

If you don't come stay with us again before and/or after next year's Herc boogie I'm going to have some explaining to do to my house.

Also, there is some stupid fucker walking around London who only has the use of his legs because you were sitting in the passenger seat. He probably wants you to come back as well.

Maybe I've helped you a bit, I know you've helped me in the past - it is all good.

Not sure what town it is in. But a restaurant called "Rib Country" somewhere near Vogel State Park in GA. God damn they had GOOD ribs...

Bringing this thread back from the dead because I have a surprising new contender ... Redbones in, of all places, Somerville, MA. I went there three times in one week a couple weeks ago.

The BBQ itself is truly phenomenal, and then there's the people and the atmosphere. Once you start stalking them (like I did that one week) you're a "regular" and they give you free stuff and discounts off your check. The place is always packed and deservedly so.

And I've lived in North Carolina and Texas, so I know from good BBQ. And this was good BBQ.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

the brisket my friend and i cooked for superbowl. it was a combo of a secret recipie dry rub, a shiner beer based mop sauce, slow and low smoking with pecan and apple wood, and my personal recipie bbq sauce. it had that balance of flavor and moisture that all bbq cooks strive for.

resturant bbq- the pig stand has some awesome sauce. goode co. has some great somked meat. also otto's and drexlers. all of these places are in houston.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I lived in Memphis for a bit and had some awesome BBQ there. The BEST I've ever had, though, is at a place called THE SHED right outside of Pascagoula, MS. Fucking incredible.

:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Mine was probably at the Salt Lick in Texas last year.

Man i miss that place and it's unlimited plates of smokey, tender, lip smacking succulently marinaded meats SIGH!

www.saltlickbbq.com

I remember walking in and looking a the grill area and thinking i had reached heaven.

So when/where was/is your favourite bbq spot and why?

I'm biased but as a Texas boy, I ended up with the BBQ gene. This is a great recipe for briscuit (my mom taught me), trust me - it's really good.

It's a mustard-based marinade/bbq sauce and I think it is a pleasant change from the standard "red" type bbq sauces.

Ingredients:
1 uncooked briscuit
4 sticks of butter
8 cloves of garlic
2 tblspoons of salt
4tblspoons of black pepper
2 tblspoon of cayenne pepper
1 cup of dried, prepared mustard
4 cups of regular, spreadable mustard
2 cups of vinager
4 lemons

Trim off about 75% of the obvious fat surrounding the briscuit. Stab briscuit multiple times with fork - basically tenderizing and creating little pockets for the marinade to infliltrate.

Melt butter, grate the lemon skins into the butter, and squeeze lemons into it as well. Chop up or press the garlic cloves and throw in. Add all the other ingredients. Stirring, cook on low heat until simmering. Remove from heat and let cool to around room temperature. Add a little water or simmer a little longer to where the consistancy is basically kinda in the gravy/porridge department. You don't want it all clumpy but you don't want soup, either.

Once cooled, put briscuit in pot and slop it around to where all of it is coated with the marinade. Cover and refridgerate for a while - overnite is really good but you can wait as little as however long it takes to fire up the bbq.

Fire up the bbq. Get it hot. Regular charcoal or gas both work fine.

Heat up the pot with the briscuit in it to where the congealed butter is no longer congealed. Brush off the excess marinade and throw the briscuit on the grill - giving the briscuit a good sear, then cover. A few minutes later, flip the briscuit, and while that side is searing, paint the up-side. Lower heat a little for the main cooking phase. Cover the bbq and when you think the grill might be just starting to burn the meat, flip it over and paint the side that was just on the grill. Repeat this for as long as it takes to cook the briscuit - around three hours seems to do the trick in my experience but go ahead and slice it in the middle and check how rare it is once you think it might be getting done. Also, about the time you start running out of the basting sauce is about when the briscuit usually is near done. You can also do the mesquite thing - especially if you can get some smoke action going on - this recipe reacts pretty well to smoking.

When it's all done you will have a very tangy and tender briscuit and it's really good.

Hope you like it - it's always worked for me!

Norm's Place in DeLand, FL.
Any of you locals know if it's still there?
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Almost any KC BBQ is great. You have Gates where they yell at you when you walk in the door... Then Arthur Bryant's which has the best burnt ends on the planet. Jack Stack that has the best Baby Back Ribs ever made.

I have tried almost every BBQ place that I could find in Houston and the place that is a close second to KC BBQ is Thelma's BBQ http://www.b4-u-eat.com/houston/restaurants/reviews/rsv2318.asp Everything is great but the ribs don't seem quite there.

I used to live in KC for 15 years and the only place that I have found that ships is Jack Stack http://www.jackstackbbq.com/

I get a few slabs of ribs and a couple quarts of beans once or twice a year..... yummm...

Looked on the T-shirt but it doesn't have an address. It's west of the downtown area on Voorhis?
The last time I was there was in '92, so I really don't know how it is today or even still in business.
I tried to mapquest it but no luck.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)