psyhunterson

Dissilusioned after AFF1

"It was probably sensory overload and you just missed it."

I don't think I had sensory overload as I remember every single detail of my jump. Even my exit.

Job and skydiving do not always work together. Sometimes, it's really much better to conceil your passion - job comes first. "Falling off stairs" could be the better explanation.

that is true. I agree. It's important for me to be able to work unobstracted by injuries. I hate having to lie about how I got injured but when you say something common like falling off stairs, people are sympathetic. Likewise, in car accidents everyone understands and shows empathy but if you say that you had an accident from skydiving, then they think that you kinda deserved what you got as you shouldn't go jumping out of planes.

***Some questions:
* What kind of canopy (make,model,size) are you jumping ?
* What is you weight ?
* What kind of ground are you landing on (grass, sand, crushed stone...)?
* what is the elevation of the landing site with respect to sea level ?
* Do you have a tendency to break bones easily?
* Are you doing any sort of physical conditioning especially for the legs like jogging, bicycling...?
I really want to try helping you but I need some data.

*I don't know the tecninal details of my canopy. All I know is that it was for students (I guess) and much bigger of course than those of my instructors'

*I weigh 80kg (that is around 176 pounds)

*The Drop Zone land, consisted of grass and crushed stone. I landed quite far on crusded stones of a field near the DZ. (They picked me up with a car but I could stand up though not walk)

*I don't know the exact elevation of the DZ but I surely know that it is quite far above sea level (there was thick fog earlier in the morning and we waited long before it clears).

*No I don't break bones easily. In fact, I never broke anything (not even as a child). But I used to have sensitivity on my knee cartilage. But in recent years I was fine.

*No, I don't exercise much. Usual walking, stair climbing and some hiking but not very often.
Human mind is a parachute. It works when it is open..

1) It seems to me that the student canopies used at your DZ are certainly not zero porosity ones and if they are made of F111 and have thousands of jumps they provide not a great support for you.
2) You weight is in the average but you still need enough support from your canopy
3) try to land on grass, ask a instructor to guide you with the radio
4) for the DZ elevation ask the pilot, he should know it. If the landing zone is several thousands feet above sea level landings are harder.
5) good news you have good bones
6) make more exercises for your legs (squating, climbing stairs, lifting weight with legs in a gym...)
But anyway, you need a good technique for landing. If your instructor cannot provide it to you see another instructor.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I had no idea of all these factors playing role in cannopy suport and landing. Thank you very much for all the valuable info. I have nearly recovered from my injuries and while, at the beggining I wasn't feel like trying again, now I feel more confident that if so many others do it, I can definately land without an injury too. I'll give myself some time in winter for recovery and reading and give it another try in warmer months.

Thanks again. Happy holidays and may the new year be full of health and safe landings ;)

I broke my pelvis on two places on jump 37 and was back up in the air in 9 weeks (4 weeks earlier than the doctor said). Learn from it and get your ass back in the air.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson

yet the shock of my injury was so great that I started wondering whether it's worth it in the event of being injured again...

dont know if this has been said already but i dont think thinking about this and figuring it out for yourself at this stage is a bad thing.

is it worth a twisted ankle?

is it worth missing a few days of work because of an injury from skydiving?

is it worth possiblly ending up in hospital over?

etc etc not everyones answers are the same and i think weather you hurt yourself on your first aff or had plain sailing until your 1000th and femured these are questions that every skydiver needs to figure out for themselves at some stage, preferably before the decision is made for you

other than that listen to the other more experienced people here about how to not mess up next time

Hey, if you like it enough sooner or later you will be back at it. If you find something better to do, good on you. I think it's just hard for anyone to be "immobilized" and that's a challenge. Apart from that, just get used to breaking your bones and feel lucky it's not too serious, THAT would be a major challenge. I picked up snowboarding last year and fractured my wrist after 12 days and this year fractured my elbow after 8 days and can't wait to be going. That makes it 5 in 6 years with one of them I didn't know it was broken. And one is from a canopy landing. So, if you can't cope with the idea of being laid up, do something that suits your lifestyle better..
cheers :)

I like it enough to try it again, that's for sure. But getting used to breaking bones? I don't think that's feasible for me. My health and my job are currently my top priorities. After all, skydiving among other things is supposed to be fun too, and I see no fun in injuries (who does anyway :P ). Of course, one can be injured or die while driving yet we don't quit driving to feel safe. I guess what i'm trying to say is that no one enjoys injuries in whatever daily activities or lifestyle.

The injuries that you make while having fun are not injuries. They are memories.
This is true for every activity out there: snowboarding, longboarding, kiteboarding, wakeboarding, sex, etc. :P

Take it easy,
Jean-Arthur Deda.

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Take it from a guy who is still working through AFF...you are not alone! I stuck my first 2 landings and was like...this stuff is EZ! Gawd was I wrong... hahah My level 3 was a total wake up call, very unstable in free fall after they let me fly solo the first time. After I pulled I knew I was going to have to repeat the level and was pissed. In a fit of rage I was not paying attention and ended up over the swoop pond (not a good place to be) my instructor was yelling turn left 90 over the radio...yarding on the toggles I kept doing 180's !!! hahha Getting even more worked up I finally got on my final approach (with the wind at my back!) I flaired early then went back to full flight just before a huge rolling PLF in front of a crowd of swoopers! These were the same swoopes that were upset that i was in their air-space to begin with! hahaha After spending a few minutes getting out of a birds nest of chute and lines I dusted myself off and took a bow! That got some laughs, I said I was sorry and all was well.
I guess if I had some advise I would say stick with it...but you will have to get over your fear...thats a mental block you dont need in any sport. Spend some time in a wind tunnel (if you have one near by) Although you cant learn to land in a tunnel it could make you more relaxed after free fall and that can make all the difference in the world.
Glad you made it out okay...sounds like you nailed the plf anyway!

take care,

Billie
Gently pushing comfort zones since 1976...

Don't be dissilusioned!I just went through AFF last month, and to me landings are the hardest part. I had a few good PLF landings, but the others were not so good. on my 16th and final jump of my vacation, I made a hash of the landing and slightly sprained both ankles, and kind of tweaked my back.

I was having a hard time pulling the toggles down to full flair, and i found myself looking at my hands as I pulled them down to see how far down they were, then, because I was looking down, I got ground rush. Next time I jump i know 2 things for certain.. I will have been working out a lot (Lats, squats, etc) and I will NOT look at my hands, I will look 45 degrees forward!

My first few jumps i barely heard the radio, and as I made each successive jump, I became a little bit more aware each time, and understanding a bit more each time of what I was doing and what I needed to do.

Heal up, jump again, and I'll race you to the A license!

Cheers!
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. makes me feel more confident that I can make it better next time. I'm currently working on the fear I got for landings. I guess a good landing in the next jump would be the best way to overcome it. Despite the fact that I passed the level I'm pretty sure that I will have to repeat it, as I'm waiting for warmer months in order to try jumping again. All I do for now, is read read read skydiving related stuff.

Thank you guys for sharing your experiences. makes me feel more confident that I can make it better next time. I'm currently working on the fear I got for landings. I guess a good landing in the next jump would be the best way to overcome it. Despite the fact that I passed the level I'm pretty sure that I will have to repeat it, as I'm waiting for warmer months in order to try jumping again. All I do for now, is read read read skydiving related stuff.

Warmer months? it says in your profile you live in Greece ? :P

I did my AFF through the winter.... it just toughens you up for future jumping is my thoughts on the matter. ;)

No time like the present and all that business, but of course, make sure you have healed up and check with your Dr if need be before you return.

I too stuffed my first landing, in a big way (didnt flare much at all!!)
I was anxious going back, but the hunger was there and I made myself do it :)Never regretted it for a second.

Once you get a few more jumps you will find landings come more natually, dont get hung up on the thoughts of it at this stage, instead, speak to your instructors and tell them your concerns and see if they can offer you some extra advice and tuition.

Why not learn to do a good PLF? Plan all your landings as a forward PLF and if you stand up, then that's gravy. All through AFF, my instructor would tell me that a PLF was "Plan A" for landings.

I'm fortunate enough that I was taught by the army. Two weeks of PLF training before jump week. Yeah, you learn a bunch of other stuff in the two weeks but an awful lot of time is spent rolling around in the saw dust learning to PLF in 4 different directions.

I went through that school 20 years ago and on my AFF 1 back in December, I flared a bit late but was "programmed" to do a PLF. I hit and rolled like I was taught. I swear it was muscle memory at its finest and I barely felt the ground. I'm not sure how much the AFF course is supposed to teach a proper PLF. I was in AFF with another military jumper and we each had to do only one to show we could. Find a picnic table in the grass somewhere and practice them.

The link below shows a left side PLF but it's similar enough for a front PLF with the same 5 points of contact.

http://www.dukesofwindsoar.com/dukes.cgi?do=html&htmlfile=html/ppg_info/parachute_landing_fall.html

Of course, continue to work on flaring at the right time but if you know how to execute a solid PLF, then you'll have it at your disposal when you feel like you're about to crater in.

Don't give up jumping if you enjoy it. It would be like giving up driving because you can't parallel park. There's more than one way to park a car.
Andy
I'll believe it when I see it on YouTube!

Look I am definately no professional regarding these matters but in 2006 when I jumped for my first time, I did AFF...never done a tandem before. When I exited the aircraft...my arch sucked. But when I pulled I listened to the radio commands and flared when they told me to. Sure I slid on my butt but 4 jumps later I was landing on my feet every time. Sure I've got low jump numbers but I was the opposite...my freefall sucked and I did fine under canopy. Like everyone else said...don't beat yourself up about it...the only way to correct it is to try again...and again until you get it right. Just dont get all wrapped up in what happened when you got injured in relation to landing again. Put that out of your mind and what I do (I was taught by my instructor) was to look for the tree line and when it looks like you are equal to the tops of the trees while checking below you, start your flare. Thats just what I was taught..it might not work for you, but it took me 3 1/2 years to get my license (because of money) but I NEVER gave up and now I have my license and as we speak I'm filling out the order form for my 1st new rig. Keep with it...you won't be dissapointed.

I was taught plf, i was also taught how to flair but when the moment came, I did everything the way i shouldn't. I just remember flairing only when i hit the ground and boy, the impact was strong!

:D:D:DYou could be describing my first jump. It sure wasn't pretty. I definitely learned that you have to flare BEFORE you hit the ground.

===> YEP! I got a late call on my first AFF jump, and went in hard on my ass ...cracked my coccyx bone! Learned 1) pay attention to altitude near the ground, and 2) Flare in time to make it count for something!

I didn't stop, just adjusted the flare - as you can clearly see in the attached photo, I kinda over-corrected that! :)

Don't quit ... learn!
Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

Dunno how to tell ya this...but that canopy is PINK! :o

Ummmmm....yeah....student gear. Changed DZs right after that, tho!

Now, I can Biff a landing (and have!) like a MAN! LOL!

Live deliberately; Dare greatly; Land gently
SkyPainter
SOS 1304, POPS 10695, DS 118

===> YEP! I got a late call on my first AFF jump, and went in hard on my ass ...cracked my coccyx bone! Learned
1) pay attention to altitude near the ground, and
2) Flare in time to make it count for something!
...and I hope...
3) Don't land on your ass.

:D:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Congratulations on your first AFF jump! A fellow skydiver (and C-license holder and competitor) told me when I started jumping that getting good at skydiving takes a lot of patience and a good attitude... and inevitably quite a few hiccups along the way. Every AFFI and well respected skydiver I've met has reiterated those words (or something to the same effect) to me since I started. We're not born knowing how to do this. You're not good at it yet because you're NEW. Believe me, I'm still doing my AFF. I completely understand. You'll get it, though. I'm sure your instructors have faith in you, and so should you. Just keep jumping!!!

Blue skies

P.s. Unless you got the bowling speech (which it's apparent that you didn't), you have nothing to worry about :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Yeah, my instructors tell me that we're gonna focus a lot more in landings next time I visit the drop zone. I think I have developed a landing fear, and it makes me feel like.. sh#t. I don't care jumping off the plane, but the aftermath is what causes me anxiety. I hate it when my own self keeps me away from the things I love doing. So, I figure that the best way to overcome the fear is another jump with a successful landing (i.e. getting away with no injuries). After all, I believe that if I apply the brakes this time, it wont hurt the same as my first landing...

Yeah, my instructors tell me that we're gonna focus a lot more in landings next time I visit the drop zone. I think I have developed a landing fear, and it makes me feel like.. sh#t. I don't care jumping off the plane, but the aftermath is what causes me anxiety. I hate it when my own self keeps me away from the things I love doing. So, I figure that the best way to overcome the fear is another jump with a successful landing (i.e. getting away with no injuries). After all, I believe that if I apply the brakes this time, it wont hurt the same as my first landing...

Good one.
My advice is to get back there as soon as possible....time will only make getting back in the sky more nerve wracking.

I went through a similar thing when I sprained my ankle on my FJC (due to a no flare!!)

I was really worries going back for the second aff level 4 weeks later.

I gritted my teeth and remembered to flare that time (pain does that to a human!!!) and although it wasnt a stand up I landed fine.
Then I got the hang of landing well a few jumps later and stand ups (or slides) since then :)
So go do it...and tell us how it went!!