Muenkel

Anyone here not interested in getting a tattoo?

Lets see it :)

What's a mother to do? :|

I was wondering if you could crop it a little more and make the picture even smaller. We can still make out what it is.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

No tats here...not interested in it, don't want the pain, and I tell myself all the stories I need. LOL!

On others, some look amazing; some look horrible...but it's not my body, so my vote doesn't count. As long as it works for them, who'm I to say?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Lets see it :)

What's a mother to do? :|

I was wondering if you could crop it a little more and make the picture even smaller. We can still make out what it is.

I didn't crop it. Her friend took it with her phone right after it was done. You can even see the bandage.

It's actually really pretty on her neck.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I like seeing other people's tats, but I've never seen anything yet that I think I would still want on my body 50 years from now. Maybe I'm just fickle.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I will never be getting a tatoo, no matter how trendy they are. I am not a trend whore. :)

The tattoo that i have and the many tattoos that i will have, have absolutely nothing to do with trends, nor do i consider myself a trend whore.

While I do think your tatoo design is pretty cool, I would say it is trendy to this era. The "tribal" design, which you said it resembles is a definite tattoo trend right now. Just type the word "tribal" into google and see how many tattoo sites come up. And a skydiver getting closing pins tattooed on him is definitely not original. Also, you're wife's chinese symbol tattoo (or is it a japanese symbol? I know she can never remember), is a definite tattoo trend also.

From Wikipedia :

"Chinese character tattoos are tattoos consisting of Chinese characters (hanzi or kanji) otherwise known as kanji tattoos. Despite allegedly being based on the Chinese or Japanese writing system, these tattoos are almost unheard of in China and Japan, instead being a relatively recent phenomenon originating in Western countries which do not use Chinese characters.

Many kanji tattoos are unreadable or nonsense in the original language, and the forms of the Chinese characters are also often mistaken. The online blog Hanzi Smatter gives many examples of the mistaken use of Chinese characters in tattoos."

This is funny. (but it's a joke website)http://www.soufoaklin.com/tattooartist.html

Red Versus Blue did a funny public service announcement on how to pick out a tattoo a couple years ago. Here's the link http://www.machinima.com/films.php?id=328.

I do sort of in a way admire people, like you, that feel so strongly about something that they permanantly change themselves, but I also know people who got tattoos with that attitude who now regret getting them. My uncle was in the navy and got the classic anchor tattoo because he said he wanted to remember that part of his life forever, but later in life he regretted getting it. My high school physics teacher got his college fraternity's letters tattooed on his ankle and regets it, I can go on and on...

I also see a lot of people who get tattos for stupid reasons. My sister got a butterfly tattooed on her lower back, that's about as trend-whorish as you get, just because she wanted to rebel against my parents. She regrets it already. If you want to do something rebellious, get some kind of piercing, at least you can take those out when you grow up.

Then you've got the people who get tattoos as jokes, e.g. someone who gets a tattoo of a bear paw on his foot so he can tell people he's "bear-foot", or someone who gets a cartoon drawing of himself tattooed onto his back. (Yes these are real people whom vtamb81 and I know). I think they're going to regret getting those later in life, or maybe not.

Anyway it's not for me. :)

I've never seen anything yet that I think I would still want on my body 50 years from now.

Are you talking tattoos or men? :D:$

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Tats are okay but I still like piercings better. They're more fun to play with with your tongue.

I've already told my kids "Never get a tattoo where the judge will see it."[:/]

50 years? You gonna still be around?

Well, my great-grandmother lived to 96 and both of my grandmothers are still around, one is 90 and the other is 87. I'm counting on genetics being on my side. The problem that I have with being accident prone will probably throw a wrench in my plans though. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

While I do think your tatoo design is pretty cool, I would say it is trendy to this era. The "tribal" design, which you said it resembles is a definite tattoo trend right now. Just type the word "tribal" into google and see how many tattoo sites come up. And a skydiver getting closing pins tattooed on him is definitely not original. Also, you're wife's chinese symbol tattoo (or is it a japanese symbol? I know she can never remember), is a definite tattoo trend also.

Maybe i phrased my last post wrong. The choices that my wife and i made had nothing to do with the current trends, though i agree that tribal and kanji are currently very popular. Just because it is a current "trend", however, doesn't mean that we got it for the wrong reasons, like just to be cool and to fit in. Nor do i recommend getting a tattoo just to fit in, or be cool, etc.......especially since more and more i feel that people without tattoos are becoming the minority and there may be pressures to get one.

To me this design, although it employs a tribal design along with closing pins, is extremely beautiful, meaningful, and unique (seeing as i've never seen it on anywhere else). My wife chose a blue kanji character for Devotion as her "something blue" for our wedding. She checked in multiple locations to be sure the character she chose actually means Devotion, and not something like Pedophile. She also wanted something that was private (therefore on her lower hip and in a foreign text), so that it would be fairly private. Her second tattoo is an MC Escher inspired piece (her favorite artist) on her lower back that came out stunning. Though these tattoos types might be considered trendy styles or locations, "trendiness" often has little or nothing to do peoples choices.

I think its good that many people choose not to get them, rather than regret it later on in life. Making that decision for yourself is extremely important. I think it is shortsighted, however, to look at others around you who may regret it and think just because they now hate it you would too (not saying this is your thought process, just a what"if"). Tattoos are an extremely personal decision. I feel that they should remain very important to an individual, even if they never show it to anyone. Getting a tattoo because its trendy or for the sole fact of showing it off to your friends will likely lead to regret (in my opinion).

I agree that there are several styles right now which could be considered "trendy", but making gross generalizations with a term that has a negative connotation in this regard, especially when many people put months or years of thought into a piece, can be very offensive.....

Maybe i'm being too sensitive :S Just my $0.02

The tattoos I like would look great as paintings. They would be beautiful in any medium. I think anyone can understand the appeal of that kind of tattoo.

Others, though, really seem to be very personal in nature (like your wife's Kanji tattoo) and I don't understand them. An explanation puts it in an entirely different light. That's why I often ask about the story behind a tattoo when I see an interesting one or one I don't understand.

I don't understand tribal tattoos at all. I'm not saying I think they look bad. I just don't understand them and doubt that I ever will. I don't care whether they are trendy or not. They just kind of leave me wondering what the appeal is.

I'm not asking for any kind of explanation because I doubt there is one that I would truly understand. I'm pointing this out because I think a lot of people who criticize tribal tattoos are like me--they simply don't understand them.

Walt

Tattoos seem to be extremely popular amongst skydivers. I personally do not have any and have no desire to get one (I have no piercings either).

Just wondering if there are others who feel the same way.

Chris

Edited for spelling because I trust Cowden's intellect.:)

I'm with you.. Tattoo suck

I've considered it before, but there's never been any design that's "spoken" to me enough to go through the process. I think that means I'm probably not that interested and probably won't get one. Don't really care one way or the other if others have them, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

"We don't judge people for who THEY are. We judge people for who WE are."

That is a very cool quote, I have never heard it before!

As for the tat thing...I would have one had I not met my husband when I did. I was 20, and considering getting one done...but honey doesn't like tats, so no ink for me. [:/]

If I was single, I would get a full back tat of wings kinda like this (not all the stuff around 'em, just the wings). Mine would go all the way down to the tops of my legs though...and I'd only get them done after I'm in the 'shape' I wanna be in. I didn't see these and think 'Cool! That's what I would want!'. I just had an image of full-back angel wings, then I searched the internet and voila...found these. :ph34r:

But it'll never happen, so I'll always be ink-free!
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I agree that many people sometimes just don't understand a particular tattoo, and i'm sure most people (including myself) with tattoos appreciate it when people ask questions to try and understand it rather than immediately passing judgement on someone or their tattoo.

I also personally love the artistic style tattoos, though they are sometimes difficult to do on human skin.

you are wise beyond your years Walt (and looking at that avatar i'm guessing thats a pretty long time):)

I agree that many people sometimes just don't understand a particular tattoo, and i'm sure most people (including myself) with tattoos appreciate it when people ask questions to try and understand it rather than immediately passing judgement on someone or their tattoo.

I also personally love the artistic style tattoos, though they are sometimes difficult to do on human skin.

you are wise beyond your years Walt (and looking at that avatar i'm guessing thats a pretty long time):)

Shit, I'm old as dirt. Somehow I've survived 49 years, despite some intense efforts at early demise!:D

Really, I just like a good story and I have heard some good ones asking about tattoos. Many people with ink put a great deal of thought into it and each one really does have quite a story to go along with it.

BTW, the pic in the avatar is of my favorite author, James Thurber. He wrote some really funny stuff, including a book called "My World and Welcome to It". He died in 1961, I think, so his stuff is really dated, but I have always loved the way he put words together. The "my world and welcome to it" phrase does a pretty good job of describing the attitude I had when posting a bunch of my stories.

Walt

Agreed. One time, a random woman saw my tattoo and said "Oh my God, that is ridiculous why would you ever do that to yourself?"

In the most politeful voice ever, I said "Well, everyone has opinions. You'd probably get alot more respect if you kept your opinions to yourself unless asked for them". She shut up and walked away.

In the most politeful voice ever, I said "Well, everyone has opinions. You'd probably get alot more respect if you kept your opinions to yourself unless asked for them". She shut up and walked away.

Don't you hate people like that.>:( I know this woman who's like a friend of a friend of a friend, yada, yada. She just blurts out whatever is on her mind and it usually is something negative. I had some blonde highlights put in my hair a few years back. When she saw it, she immediately commented to me loudly "That looks ridiculous!" My response was "So does your huge ass. Atleast my hair will go back to its original color in 8 weeks. What is your ass going to look like in that much time?" She was speechless and quite embarrassed. I have to admit though, I felt really bad because I stooped to her level and it was cruel what I said. I did apologize to her. Of course no apology back to me though. She just pissed me off.>:(>:(

Chris

A tattoo is something that you are saying.

Some women get roses on their ankle.
Some people get one about a significant event or achievement in their life.

It is saying something about yourself.

The only one that I have never understood is the Harley logo tattoos. Porshe owners just get jackets.