shropshire

Cooking ... What's your signature dish...

The only complaint I've gotten is from the vegans.

...layers of brownies, caramel, melted chocolate chips, trail mix, and more caramel...

Fuck the vegans, if they can't see a good thing when it's covered in caramel.:D

My brother is dating a vegan. Nice girl, but holy shit. I thought I was picky.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

oooooh, I never thought of pouring over. I just served the creme as dessert. It would be like a sweet steak au poivre. A real heart attack on a single plate.

i make a killer baked ziti - with my own sauce :)

and really good bruschetta -:):)

All these great dishes, you people have to start sharing the recipes so the rest of us can taste these!

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Tournedos Rossini

Seared beef tournedos (a thick round cut from the tenderloin) topped with seared foie gras, demi-glace, and truffles on rounds of crustless white toast (to soak up the sauce and foie gras drippings!)

Paired with:

Pommes Anna

A cake of pressed, thin potato slices arranged in a spiral with clarified butter between the layers, roasted at high temperature in cast iron until a glassine crust forms.

As much as I like great food (especially with great wine), I never thought I'd be wishing for an invite that would have me driving 6 hours to another country for just one meal. :S:D

To answer the original question, I don't know, but nothing as exotic as Narci's. My green bean recipe is pretty tasty and unique, I'm pretty good cooking steaks/roasts, and I make the best fucking mac & cheese in the world (recently improved by switching to a mixture of sharp cheddar and gruyere). I still need to do some personalization on my inherited kielbasa recipe.

Overall, I do pretty well in the kitchen...except for fucking hash browns. God they piss me off!!!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

As much as I like great food (especially with great wine), I never thought I'd be wishing for an invite that would have me driving 6 hours to another country for just one meal. :S:D

That's really cool to hear. I take cooking seriously.

By the way, I think we could put together some great wines too. We have about 500 bottles put away and there's something for everyone in there.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Ive got a few I like to make regular. theyre not fancy, but always please.

Homemade chicken enchaladas (my mum requests these everytime she visits)
~in progress is a homemade verde sauce

grilled port tenderloin stuffed with sundried tomato and garlic
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

creamed peas on toast!

make a roux (not sure of the spelling, but it's equal amounts of butter and flour, about a 1/3 of a cup of each) and add the juice from an 8 ounce can of peas (slowly, stirring constantly), then enough milk to make it about as thick as 80w gear oil. add salt and pepper to taste, then dump in the peas to heat them up. serve over hot buttered toast, cut into 1" squares. quick and easy to make, has a nice old school taste, really sticks to your ribs. and it's cheap!

it's full of carby goodness.

side note: i was going away for a week long training course and i knew i was staying at a suites hotel with a kitchen. i decided i would make some while i was there, and rather than buy a bag of flour when i only needed a little bit, i put a baggy of it in my luggage. had a hard time explaining it to the nice security folks. :S
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I don't cook. But, I love sauces so much that I ended up somehow being really good at making them.

I just open a fridge and/or pantry and start mixing shit together and my hunny (and I also do say so myself) thinks I make the best sauces in the world.:P

What can I say? I'm a big dipper;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Mine would be Mosambique curry chicken - Good shit main! (ya, I spelled it that way on purpose, that's ghetto speech for "man")

Moussaka. Hard to believe, huh? The last time I made it my dinner guests begged to take leftovers home.

layer bottom of pan with lightly cooked potato (roasted or boiled then slicec thin)
cover with fried eggplant
top with layer of mixed ground beef and lamb (depending on whether ppl like lamb....I only use ground lamb)
top with rest of eggplant

secret touches?

oregano with eggplant
cinnamon with ground meat
and ground nutmeg with bechamel
then with high quality ingredient bechamel sauce.

Mine changes, but currently turkey breast stuffed with asparagus and a mix of cream cheese, green onion, garlic, and tarragon, breaded and baked.

Tasty!!!

Walt

PM the recipe please.
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

Mine changes, but currently turkey breast stuffed with asparagus and a mix of cream cheese, green onion, garlic, and tarragon, breaded and baked.

Tasty!!!

Walt

PM the recipe please.

I'll do better than that--I'll post a link to the recipe. 24hrfitness.com is one of my favorite sources for healthy recipes.

When I cook it, I deviate from the recipe by using buttermilk instead of skim milk prior to breading.

Also, I can't always find turkey breast cutlets so I often buy turkey tenderloins and butterfly cut them. If you use a rolling pin to flatten them, do *not* use it to roll! Use it as a mallet to hammer the turkey flat. Rolling the turkey shreds it.

Also, skinny asparagus works best--I steam it for about 20-25 minutes before rolling it in the turkey.

This should be obvious, but wasn't to me the first time I tried the recipe. Microwave the cream cheese for about 25 seconds before mixing the other ingredients in!

Walt

That's really cool to hear. I take cooking seriously.

By the way, I think we could put together some great wines too. We have about 500 bottles put away and there's something for everyone in there.

Where the hell were you when I stopped by your house TWICE last year?!? :P

I don't have 500 bottles, but I do have a pretty decent collection snoozing away in my half of a 700 bottle cellar. There are some definite stars in there too, but I don't think I have "something for everyone"... i.e. there's nothing for the 2-buck chuck & white zinfandel ilk. ;) My pinot/burgundies are sadly outnumbered as well. [:/]

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sigh... I'm not going to Vancouver for that conference... DAMMIT!

I'm sure we'll manage without you. :P In lieu of your attendance, you should finally send me that bottle of Yquem to pair with the extra fois gras. ;)

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Where the hell were you when I stopped by your house TWICE last year?!? :P

I think swinging by to pick up the random chick from Seattle who's crashing at their house hardly counts as a "visit." ;) Having enjoyed meals (and wine) at both your house and narcimund's, I can definitely say you guys would get along quite well gastronomically and oenophilically (is that a real word? :D)

Tell you what... Seattle's three hours from both Richland and Vancouver. I hereby offer up my kitchen for a big feast/cookoff. I also volunteer to judge the results. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Ha! I am known for a signature dish after all. I make a great to-die-for, Spanikopita! The recipe was handed down to me!!! For those that don't know, it's a spinach-feta-egg mixture in a crust of Phyllo dough! Only fresh spinach! I'm also known for my Greek Holiday Bread! This one is another hand-me-down recipe, which makes 10-11 loaves at a time! Makes for a to-die-for piece of toast!

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Tell you what... Seattle's three hours from both Richland and Vancouver. I hereby offer up my kitchen for a big feast/cookoff. I also volunteer to judge the results.

I win :-)

It's good to be Raistlin

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;