atsaubrey

Jury duty!

I am here in San Diego and have the "call in jury duty". I have to call everyday after 5pm to see if I am scheduled to serve. i have a question that I can't seem to find a answer to. How friggin long am I on this "oncall" bullshit. This is stupid. I have a job and calling every night not knowing when or if I have to serve blows! They have got to have a time limit for this shit, either I serve or after one week i'm out. I am not about to call in forever every friggin night! Someone give me a idea how long this goes on!
"GOT LEAD?"

Sorry. THe only time I was called in for jury duty was in a case where a Catholic priest was accused of raping 20 boys. Before we had to go to trial, he pleaded guilty.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

i dont think i will have a problem "getting out of it" once I have to show. Not that I dont want to serve my "duty" but im not a.... impartial person. yeah thats what im trying to say. I dont think im a bad person but dont think i could but impartial in a situtation with someone accused of something like that. Matter of fact i'd probably kill the bastard myself.
"GOT LEAD?"

Because the evidence against was so overwhelming, I don't think I talked to a single person that was called in for jury duty that thought he was innocent. I think that's why his attorneys told him to plead guilty. I'm sure he is someone's bitch in prison, right now. Ain't that a shame. B|
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

I was whining to a friend that I got called for the third time in just over a year (got out of the second time b/c you don't have to serve more than once a year). He said "If you end up going, here's what you do. If they ask you your opinion on anything, just say 'It's in my manifesto. Would you like to read it?'":D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Man, I'm sorry.

I got called for Jury duty too and had them push it back. Now they're trying to make me serve a week in June and a week in July. Don't they know thats skydiving season??

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

best way to get out of it tell them you believe they should legalize drugs..seriously. Or tewll them you think the police are corrupt
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

That will get you out of it?

What if I just think they should legalize pot, I think that the government is corrupt, I would rather live in Canada and I'm a communist at heart?

Think I could get out of jury duty?

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I am here in San Diego and have the "call in jury duty". I have to call everyday after 5pm to see if I am scheduled to serve. i have a question that I can't seem to find a answer to. How friggin long am I on this "oncall" bullshit. This is stupid. I have a job and calling every night not knowing when or if I have to serve blows! They have got to have a time limit for this shit, either I serve or after one week i'm out. I am not about to call in forever every friggin night! Someone give me a idea how long this goes on!

Last year I called Santa Ana courthouse and told them I couldn't do "call in duty" late on a Friday and they said come in on Monday morning. They must have put me at the bottom of the juror list cause I sat around until 230pm and then they told me goodbye. There were about 40 of us left that they never picked.

Most places I've been to in Calif have the "One Day/One Trial" Rule. I'm not sure what the rule is in San Diego, but I can tell you as a pragmatic matter that if you aren't called in tonight, ten your odds are pretty good that you are released. Courts generally dont' like starting trials on Fridays.

Also, I think San Diego allows you to ask for any courthouse you want. This means that if you get called in, ask for another courthouse for that day than the one that they want to assign you to. You'll probably go to the bottom of the list, buddy!;)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

That will get you out of it?

What if I just think they should legalize pot, I think that the government is corrupt, I would rather live in Canada and I'm a communist at heart?

Think I could get out of jury duty?

Probably so, but you'd wind up on some "watch list" you might not wanna be on. :ph34r:

I just told them I don't believe in the death penalty. As you see I live in Texas and we love our death penalty down here. I do believe in the death penalty in some cases.. It must've worked, I've not been called for Jury Duty in 10+ years. Guess I wound up on a "list" :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

For call ins, they have you call on friday night to find out if you have to report on monday morning. They can have you call back every day that week until thursday night and the last day you could have to show up (if you don't get picked for a jury that day, of course) is the friday morning the week after you made your first call-in. A lot of times they'll release you at some point during the week, though. I've been a call-in juror four or five times, and I've only had to call in all week twice.

Years ago I, too, was one of the people who thought of jury service as something to get out of. I changed my mind a long time ago after witnessing too many of those "I can't believe it; what were they thinking?" verdicts. I decided that if I ever got called, I'd do my best to get on the case.

Unfortunately, this means reserving some irrelevant information as private. They don't need to know that I listen to Rush, watch O'Reilly, and have worked in radio news. The least said about these things, the better my chances of being picked.

Also, they don't need to know I'm a skydiver. This may work against me in one of those silly civil cases where someone gets hurt and blames some "deep pocket" individual, corporation, organization, etc. for failing to prevent the incident from happening.

I would challenge the legal purists to explain why this sort of irrelevant information should disqualify me from service, as would surely be the case in many instances. I am insulted and offended that members of the litigation lobby would claim I cannot judge a case impartially because I happen to keep abreast of current events.

Last year I finally got on a jury. The case involved a NY moving company being sued for apparently losing and/or damaging a retired couples' belongings in their move to Georgia.

The company appeared to be guilty of some of the accusations. But I took note that the main testimony came from the wife, who was an avid collector of precious ceramic art pieces. She documented the value of many of the items, demonstrating her long-held expertise in this field...

But what got me is that the movers were expected to pack everything. The agreement was that they would wrap things up, box them , etc.

WAIT A MINUTE!

If you're a passionate collector of delicate items, you don't just let a bunch of burly New York moving company employees enter your home, with the expectation they would handle your stuff with the same level of care you yourself would employ. You would pack it away with bubble wrap, etc. in the weeks preceding the move.

The movers are there to help you move your large furniture, appliances, and boxes. Why are they expected to remove the pictures from the walls?
These guys are probably motivated to get the job done as quickly as possible, and frankly resent having to waste time doing things the customer should have already taken care of.

The defense lawyer, one of three sitting there presented a pathetic case. His only tactic was to challenge the wife as to her credibility regarding the claimed value of the lost/damaged stuff.

At the end of the day I had no idea how I'd vote. But I did have some questions, such as "Did the company ever offer a settlement prior to this case proceeding? If so, why wasn't it accepted?" I arrived the next day, eager to get on with it, only to learn the case had been settled.

I wonder whether the company had planned to settle all along, but let it go to trial as a way of providing courtroom practice for a young law school graduate.

I believe it would be wise to look upon that jury notice as an opportunity, rather than as an annoyance. The system would benefit from the influx of more common sense and fewer people who allow themselves to be intimidated into verdicts they don't think are right.

Cheers,
Jon S.