Cantoral

uncocked PC

I know people who have thrown an uncocked PC and gotten an open main. I know others who have gotten a PC in tow. Some of those with PC in tow have dumped their reserves and the shock/change in orientation/timing have caused a 2-out.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

The exact thing that Junkie talked about happened to me a while back. I tossed (pull-out deployment) after a 8-10 sec delay from 3500' and got nothing. Reached again, felt a full container and figured I just had a floating PUD. I decided that I was too low to mess around so I went straight reserve, felt the main d-bag bounce off my ass as I was pulling my reserve handle. I stopped, but it was too late. Both canopies deployed, I steered them apart and cutaway. Realized later that bad communication between myself and the girl packing my rig led to an un-cocked p/c. I imagine it would have deployed at terminal with minimal hesitation, but sub-terminal it was just not quite enough drag right when I pulled to get it out.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I steered them apart and cutaway.

You're implying that you didn't have a downplane immediately upon opening, but that you (had to) create(d) one.
What did the two-out look like?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

That's correct. The reserve was on the left and behind. It was kind of an ofset bi-plane. I flew it briefly, but the two canopies were not flying very well together, so I induced a downplane and then cutaway.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I thought you werent suppose to cut away as long as it was landable???

First off, good question.

That's the book answer, and it's the answer you'll see 99% of the time in the FJC, but it's not necessarily the only option. For students, who have almost zero gear knowledge and are in a very complex, unfamiliar situation, it's almost always the best option.

If the canopies are in a bi-plane, and the main is in the back, cutting away the main may be a good choice. If the main's in the front, cutting away is the worst thing you could do. If they're in a side-by-side and you've got lots of altitude, inducing a downplane and cutting away may be a good choice. This applies even more if you've got very different sizes/planforms and/or small canopies... the thought of trying to land a PDR 143 and a Velo 84 isn't pretty... or imagine a PDR 99 and a Velo 84, even combined your W/L might be 1.25:1, but they're both flying like crap and you can't flare:o.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

It can un-cock itselft e.g. when you bag your canopy.

True, but I have found that the amount that it "uncocks" isn't enough to cause a mal its just enough to not show the color in the window...

Mine is so worn out it seems just about every time I get a pin check people question whether it is in fact cocked. When I pack the PC using this method I know it has to be cocked or I wouldn't have been able to even fold it and get it in the pouch.

Its not for everyone, people should do what theyre comfortable with. It has worked for both my wife and I for years now.