norcalbaker

what do you think of the tempo reserve?

It passed its TSO certification, that should give you some confidence with it. Early Tempo's did not have span wise reenforcements so people liked them since they packed small but on high speed openings (freeflying) they can suffer more damage then a canopy with more reenforcement.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't like mine. I put two rides on my Tempo 170 (1.2:1 wingloading) this year. It opened just fine, flew straight, and turned like a barge. I was glad I was under the reserve at 3000ft on the first one, because it gave me lots of time to play with the stall point, which was at my shoulders, just about where I would have expected half-brakes to be. It was a windy day and I made a hard but not painful stand-up landing into a plowed field. The second one I landed on grass and PLFed without thinking twice.

The problem I have with Tempos is that there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Some are great, some have a built-in turn, mine could have hurt me if I hadn't had time to practice my flare. If you buy one, make sure the previous owner has actually used it, and is somebody you trust to give you an honest assessment of how it flies.

I have a Tempo 120. I have used it a couple of times, as well as a Tempo 150. I didn't care how the controls were, as long as I could turn it and flare it enough to land me down in one piece. I know it does not flare that well and I've never stood up any of my reserve landings. I either PLFed or slid it in. I did test the flare once before coming in for landing and decided to wrap the brake lines around my wrists once and then flare for landing. It helped a little bit.

However, in the future when it's time for a new rig, I will probably opt for one of the newer reserves of the time that is built better.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I don't like mine. I put two rides on my Tempo 170 (1.2:1 wingloading) this year. It opened just fine, flew straight, and turned like a barge. I was glad I was under the reserve at 3000ft on the first one, because it gave me lots of time to play with the stall point, which was at my shoulders, just about where I would have expected half-brakes to be. It was a windy day and I made a hard but not painful stand-up landing into a plowed field. The second one I landed on grass and PLFed without thinking twice.

The problem I have with Tempos is that there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Some are great, some have a built-in turn, mine could have hurt me if I hadn't had time to practice my flare. If you buy one, make sure the previous owner has actually used it, and is somebody you trust to give you an honest assessment of how it flies.

It's all the stories like this that I have heard from people that make me such a PD snob. My new Micron that is coming in February is gonna have a brand spankin new optimum reserve!
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I don't like mine.

Then why do you still own it?

I don't understand why people settle on something they don't like when it comes to a reserve. Do you really want something you don't like or can't land well as your last chance?

I agree with Fast about being PD snob. I've tried a lot of main canopies but have only ever owned PD. I will not jump a rig that doesn't have a PD reserve in it; it's just not worth it to me. I want to know that if I have to use my reserve, it is going to work and fly well.

I don't just want a reserve that will get me to the ground alive, I want a reserve that will get me to ground in the same condition I was in when I left it. PDR or Optimum for me, thanks :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

My apologies for the thread drift, but the replies so far make me wonder how many F-111 7-cell rides people have.

I can think of at least 5 people, each of whom has more than 30 jumps on their reserve. One has over 40. It's the exact same canopy in every case but one, and that one has 20 or so jumps. Several manufacturers and/or models too. A couple things are consistent: 1) low wingloading (< 1.2) and 2) no injuries during use or landing (many were off field).

As always, YMMV.

Bob

My apologies for the thread drift, but the replies so far make me wonder how many F-111 7-cell rides people have.

Or how many round jumps for that matter. A few round reserve rides and I bet that Tempo wouldn't seem so bad;)

If you can't land a Tempo then maybe it is overloaded or it is not being flown correctly. They just don't flare the same as the zp mains most people are used to these days.

If you're not 100% sure you have a good reserve, you may put it in another rig as a main and jump it (hop'n pop or static line). Play with it, check the flare and learn to fly it in controlled conditions.
Before doing this check with your rigger as it may void the use as a reserve (for some manufacturers).
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

I've had two reserve rides on two different Tempo 150s. They flew like dogs compared to my smaller elliptical nine cells, but just fine for a reserve. I wrapped the longer brake lines on my second ride to get a little more flair. They landed like F111 seven cell canopies because that's what they are. I have another Tempo 150 in my rig now and I have total confidence in it.

Tempo's do their job, they get you to the ground in one piece, I have 3 rides on two different tempo's, all were quick on heading openings, both flew straight, they turn like a skybarge, but the landings were fine, but dont expect it to land like a zp canopy.

You should ask the people who are bashing it how many tempo's they have jumped, most will respond none, and are just repeating the same bullshit that someone else said.

At a 1-1 wingloading it will be slow, stable and easily landed

If you find a rigger that won't pack it, find a better rigger.

I would still be using a tempo if I hadnt made a bad trade (freaking girlfriend) -ex now thank gawd
Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I have one jump on a Tempo loaded at around 1.0:1. It was very early in my jumping so I had little reference as to how it landed. It got me down safe with no injuries, but it was not pretty. Looking back later, it didn't have the greatest flare. If loaded lightly, I would still jump a borrowed rig that contained a Tempo. I now have a PDR143 loaded at 1.4:1. I demo'd one to see how it flies/flares. It was easy to fly and I put it in the peas with a soft landing. It has made me a believer in PDRs. Have one in my backup rig as well.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Almost any canopy can get a bad reputation. There are bound to be lots of variables depending upon each situation. Hubby says his Tempo 210 worked just fine and he stood up the landing. It's a RESERVE...to save your ass from certain death. If you are used to flying a 9 cell ZP, that F111 7 cell reserve is probably gonna turn like a barge and the landing will be at a steeper angle and not what you're used to...my worthless nickle's worth! :)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

most people jump 9 cell canopy and they have F111 7 cell reserve, yes they flare different just like all 7 cell compare to 9 cell, if you never jump a 7 cell you need to demo main or reserve if you can and see how much they are different, my tempo loaded at 1.48 I have nice landing no need for plf
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

Sooooo..... You traded your Tempo for a new girlfriend who is now your ex????

LOL - I knew someone would say something.. she bought a rig off ebay with a micro raven in it, I didnt want her on it at over a 1-1 wingload, so I swapped her my tempo for her raven.... I shoulda requested it back when we split (not that she would have traded anyhow) I miss my tempo :( the raven is really stall happy, but it works.:)
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Then why do you still own it?

I don't understand why people settle on something they don't like when it comes to a reserve. Do you really want something you don't like or can't land well as your last chance?

I agree with Fast about being PD snob. I've tried a lot of main canopies but have only ever owned PD. I will not jump a rig that doesn't have a PD reserve in it; it's just not worth it to me. I want to know that if I have to use my reserve, it is going to work and fly well.

I don't just want a reserve that will get me to the ground alive, I want a reserve that will get me to ground in the same condition I was in when I left it. PDR or Optimum for me, thanks :)

Now I've heard everything. Won't jump a rig without a PD reserve.:S I can understanding choosing to only own a PD reserve, I can even understand (but believe it's extreme) not ever jumping without an AAD. But NEVER jumping ANY RIG without a PD reserve? I knew their marketing was good but now we've gotten to mind control.;):P

And PDR's and Optimum's are two completely different canopies. Not just different fabrics. Why haven't you choosen between them?
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I believe that PD reserves are the best reserves out there and, if I have to use a reserve, I want the best one there is. It's my life and it's worth it to me. I've had two reserve rides on PDRs and they were extremely easy to fly and land. I know the amount of R&D that goes into making them and the testing they go through. I won't settle for anything less when it comes to my reserve. Extreme? Sure. Uninformed mind control? Nope.

And PDR's and Optimum's are two completely different canopies. Not just different fabrics. Why haven't you choosen between them?

I'm well aware that they are completely different. I trust my life to both of them. Why do I have to choose between them? I currently own two PDRs and am getting an Optimum for my new rig. :)
And not that it matters to this discussions, but I've made plenty of jumps with no ADD, but I still had my PDR :P
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

You should ask the people who are bashing it how many tempo's they have jumped, most will respond none, and are just repeating the same bullshit that someone else said.

Exactly!

Several years ago I was at a riggers course and this young kid tells me that he got rid of his Tempo and bought a PD because they are much safer and fly alot better.

When I asked him how many reserve rides he had and if he had ever jumped a Tempo.... His response was that he had no reserve rides. None!

But somewhere along the line somebody convinced him that PDs are good and Tempos are bad. I tried to explain TSOs and so forth but his mind was made up.

In my opinion Tempos are good solid reserves. The newer models are even better. The Smart is very similar and basically the new improved model.

If you can't get a good landing on a Tempo then you have it overloaded or you need better training.

For the record I have a PD, Smart, and a Tempo in my rigs. All about the same size (143, 135, 150) and I would not hesitate to jump ANY of them. I don't think the landings would be significantly different.

I have heard a lot of bad talk at the DZ about the tempo, that even some riggers wont even pack it, i have a tempo 170 loaded 1:1, should i be worried at?

BLUE SKIES

Having seen a reserve with a single span-wise reinforcing tape at the tail holding the 2 & 5 cell pieces held together (not a Tempo), I would not put a pre-2001 Tempo in a rig I intended to freefly with. When your reserve breaks like that you spin in and life sucks.

I also won't bother to replace the Tempo I have in my wingsuit rig or Super Raven in my accuracy rig. FWIW, my Tempo 150 flies straight and lands fine at exit weights to 200 pounds. The PD143 has nice light front riser pressure but you're not buying a reserve for how pleasant it is to fly.

This construction is not unique to the Tempo - most older reserves including Precisions's original Ravens (through the -M) did not have span-wise tapes either. Reserves without tapes are usually rated for 130 knots (150 MPH). PDs have always had the tapes. Precision added them to the R-max. Smarts have tapes. Rated deployment speeds of 150 knots (172 MPH) are common on reserves with tapes. Comfortable freefly speeds are in the 140-160+ MPH range.

You have to use the reserve beyond its rated deployment speed to have problems, although that's what happens on a premature freefly deployment or when you loose track of altitude and have a Cypres fire or dump immediately. While unconscious you may also fall in a high-speed head-down position.

Also if you get a Tempo don't pay too much. IIRC I paid $550 for mine brand new versus nearly $800 for the PD.