TrophyHusband

where can i get a fid?

I tried the fids and found them harder to use then safety wire made into a loop. Different sized safety wire works great for stuff from closing loops to steering lines to CYPRES cord. Best part was they were free off of a A&P since it took about 30 seconds to make. Have you tried things like that yet?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I had a set of aluminum ones that were given to me long ago - they were just OK. They got nicked very easily.

I had a set of plastic ones - they were horrible. They broke at the threads.

I gave up on buying some, and asked a friend of mine who is a machinist to make me some out of steel based on some dimensions I got from a guy at Para Flite. The piano wire t-handle fingertrapping tool I use for Spectra was a gift from a friend in the industry.
Arrive Safely

John

I use something similar to what Phree has described too.

Yours is exactly like mine, almost to the point I'd think you stole it.
Red tape and all. Guitar string and all..:-)
Broomstick handle, red electricians tape, and a .22 guitar string.

Yeah, but you don't have to twist piano wire. I have two sizes. One for dacron and one for microline. Any good hobby store or hardware store (NOT big box home store) has the piano wire in there small stock metal display.

I was the BMOC when I came back from a sypmosium with the wire tool. I used to spend an hour using a stupid fid. Either I couldn't get it to screw in or I'd have some hard melted part sticking out to snag. I ran around finger trapping everyone's excess brakeline in 10 seconds.:)
And Matt, they're not real if you don't use gaffer's tape!;)B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

you can go to any sporting good store, they have stainless steel wire for fishing it come in different size, they come in small roll or big spool I think they are cheaper than piano wire
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

Jeff wins! If I might ask, how did you join the ends together or did you just wrap it around the grommet enough to keep it from coming undone?

No problem, I use .020 and .026 guitar string, it's a dollar a piece.

1. Cut to the desired length then use a pair of needle nose to grip the end and give it 2 or 3 tight wraps around to form a circle.

2. Repeat the process at the other end in the opposite direction.

3. Use the needle nose again to form a 90 degree outward kink at the end of each circle

4. Force the two circles around the grommet and draw the two 90 degree kinked sections together.

5. I use hot glue to hold in place but have managed without it before.

6. Carefully position the washer spurs and hand set the grommet slowly. I recommend a dead blow hammer.

7. Thread a Cypres pull up cord through the large circle of wire and pull to find and form THE END.

Jeff

I have made many for friends,at all different lengths, and sizes.. We have "Riders Hobby Shops " They have model airplane RCs etc . They have all sorts if landing gear wire sizes and lengths. Like 12 and 36 inch. You can take a 12 bend it in the middle for a normal 6 incher. I drill2 small holes cross ways in a wooden dowel rod push the wires thru the holes about 1/4 inches apart then with pliers bend the wire over t wice to push it back down each others holes ,it makes a secure handle. I have taken a 36 inch and done the same for Cypress lines. Actually a little bigger wire makes it easier to finger-trap than too small