JENNR8R

"And PLEASE....no baggage"

It's my opinion that anyone over the age of two has "baggage." Apparently, there must be differing views of what the definition of "baggage" is.

How would you define it?
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Everyone has "baggage"... it's just how much "baggage" and if it runs their life that's an issue...

The only baggage I have are suitcases :D

but you still have some... :P

I don't have any baggage worth speaking of myself either... I'm just a chickenshit... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

It's my opinion that anyone over the age of two has "baggage." Apparently, there must be differing views of what the definition of "baggage" is.

How would you define it?

I agree with you there. We all have baggage of some sort or another. For me "baggage" is anything that would prevent a person from having a healthy, intimate, loving relationship with another person.

An example.... someone who cannot trust their SO due to their own personal history even though their SO gave them absolutely no indication they are untrustworthy.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Yes, everyone has "Baggage". It's simply a question of degree. The pertinent issue is, are you attracted to someone because of the lack of apparent baggage or despite the baggage they have.

"Just remember that when mortal men play superheroes, gravity is their kryptonite."
Dudiest Skydiver # 3760

I think the term has now become synomym with people on the dating scene with children.

It has... which is sad to refer to children as "baggage".... but I do understand the complication that they would add to the relationship.

I think the term has now become synomym with people on the dating scene with children.

It has... which is sad to refer to children as "baggage".... but I do understand the complication that they would add to the relationship.

I imagine its not as big a problem if both parties have children but yeah that's an example of "baggage" especially when they're under 22 and have three children each with a different man. :|:D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I always thought children can be more of a "present" then baggage....

Eugene

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I think the term has now become a synonym with people on the dating scene with children.

Well, there you go... You just proved my point about "baggage" having different meanings. The person that I quoted has already responded on this thread about what it meant to him. He didn't mention children.
ones? -- Monday.

Generalization from a specific case to a larger similar group.

Racism - "a (insert racial group) did something to me, so they are all going to do it."
Sexism- "a (insert gender) did something to me, so they are all going to do it."

Relationship baggage - "I had a really bad relationship, so I expect all of that sex to commit the same sins."

The oddest thing about that is that a person of the same sex can be just as damaging, but it generates no baggage.

How would you define it?

The lawrocket dictionary for "baggage" defines it as "personal knowledge derived from participation."

My thesaurus would list "experience, familiarity, knowledge, awareness" as synonyms.

Baggage is a great thing. I'll put it this way - I didn't enter into a "successful relationship" with a woman until I was 31. Nobody here who is presently single (unless widowed) has ever had a "successful relationship" unless you define success as having learned something.

I learned something from every relationship I've had. Some may have called it baggage. I called them learning events.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Nobody here who is presently single (unless widowed) has ever had a "successful relationship" unless you define success as having learned something.

I define a "successful relationship" as having two wonderful sons with a man who was my husband for 26 years and is now a friend. :)

ones? -- Monday.

Nobody here who is presently single (unless widowed) has ever had a "successful relationship" unless you define success as having learned something.

I have. And I brought tons of baggage to the relationship......of course I married a saint who offsets the fact that i'm an asshole. :o)

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I define a "successful relationship" as having two wonderful sons with a man who was my husband for 26 years and is now a friend. :)

That's why I specifically quoted "successful relationship." I tend to look at them the same way you do, although I'd like to remain married to my wife forever.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I'd like to remain married to my wife forever.

That happily ever after scenario was what I was going for, too. However, I don't think his girlfriend would like it. :ph34r:

ones? -- Monday.

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

True. If events occur, good or bad, there are often "warning signals". Signs that things are moving in a particular direction.

You can learn those signals through personal experience or the experiences of others.

However, baggage is the mis-application of that knowledge.

I was divorced. I cannot ascribe all the negative aspects of my ex-wifes behavior to all other women. That is baggage.

If I see a behavior, or the signs of future behavior, that is using past knowledge in that new individual case. I would encourage people to not repeat mistakes.

Here! Here!

I agree. And I absolutely HATE people who use absolutes. All men are like this.... ALL women think this way....Bullshoit!!! Deal with your issue and look at the human race again with open eyes!!

I have had my share of crap, but if I chose to sit back and whimper and think all people are the same, then I would have robbed myself and others of great life experiences.

I firmly believe in learning from your history, like you said misapplication of that lesson can keep you trapped or missing out on something good!

I believe in introspection and 'red flags' but not in labeling or discreditting without proof or more info to back up that thought, etc. You know what I mean!

I love when people have not let bad experiences imprison them! That is so cool!:)
Let's have fun! :)

I think the term has now become a synonym with people on the dating scene with children.

Well, there you go... You just proved my point about "baggage" having different meanings. The person that I quoted has already responded on this thread about what it meant to him. He didn't mention children.

Yeah I'm in a bit of a quandry concerning children and single mothers. I personally don't want to have children. Yet the likelyhood of that happening seems very small.

There is someone I am interested in pursuing a relationship with. She's smart, beautiful, skydives, and doesn't want children! Unfortunately, she won't come back to California. [:/] Perhaps one day if the stars allow it.
www.FourWheelerHB.com