hexadecimal

Info for those of you considering buying a motorcycle...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104581

Please read the info in the link above. I watch way too many people every year get themselves hurt or killed buying bikes that are way beyond their skill level, not getting any formal training, and to make matters worse, not buying the proper gear to go with those bikes.

Riding a motorcycle, like skydiving, is not something to be taken lightly. It is dangerous, and requires proper training and proper gear.

motorcycles aren't that dangerous if you ride conservatively.

however, you have to be paranoid when on a bike due to the idiots on four wheels, eating, yelling at kids, talking on cellphones or just plain spacing out while driving around the grocery getter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

however, you have to be paranoid when on a bike due to the idiots on four wheels, eating, yelling at kids, talking on cellphones or just plain spacing out while driving around the grocery getter.

Personally, I think riding my motorcycle is considerably more risky than skydiving, which is why I rarely ride anymore. If I lived in a more rural area, my views would probably be different, but with all the SUV's and people on cell phones driving, I don't think the fun is work the risk any longer.

You're right, provided you're on a deserted road in the middle of nowhere with no possibility of encountering other traffic, ever.

Exactly.

Thanks, we'll make sure to check it out. B|

Y'know, I posted a thread a week or so ago about wanting to get Joe a motorcycle. Now I'm kinda wondering about that idea...:| I would be completely lost if anything ever happened to that man. :S[:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

This thread isn't meant to be a "motorcycles are bad, nobody should ride one" thread, by the way. I ride a motorcycle all year long, including during Chicago winters when the roads are dry. I'm just posting this because I hate seeing people go out and buy a Hayabusa to impress their friends, then riding around in a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals on a bike that is already way too much for them.

Riding a motorcycle, in and of itself, is not "dangerous". Doing stupid shit on it is.

If anyone thinks riding a bike is more dangerous than skydiving, they really should seek additional training/mentorship, because it isn't... statistically or otherwise.

I've been riding street bikes for as long as I've been driving cars and my "accident rate" isn't any higher on one of my bikes. In fact for many years, all I had was a bike, so I know what it takes to commute day in and day out on one rain or shine. The only major accident I had was due to my lack of experience at the time and not leaving myself "an out" and then having a car pull out in front of me. But, because I was wearing the proper gear, I walked away with only minor injuries and a destroyed motorcycle.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

If anyone thinks riding a bike is more dangerous than skydiving, they really should seek additional training/mentorship, because it isn't... statistically or otherwise.

Its all relative. For me riding is not more dangerous than jumping.

My SON on the other hand is in far more danger on his bike than I am on mine.

Why?

Because he appears to be incapable of learning from his mistakes and every time he does some dumb ass thing or other its never his fault.

I think I'm gonna pay someone to steal his bike before he ends up dead.

He's already wrecked in 3 times and he has only had it for 4 months :S:S

Of course none of those accidents were even remotely his fault.

The only good thing I can think of is that people that take that little personal responsibility cant earn enough money to finance skydiving
and I'm sure as hell not gonna pay for him to train in skydiving.
__

My mighty steed

Obviously you've never ridden in Dallas. :|

I have...and I agree with him.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Riding a motorcycle, in and of itself, is not "dangerous". Doing stupid shit on it is.

I had a pretty good accident on an old Honda cruiser when I was 16. That was enough to scare all of the "stupid shit' out of me. Since then I've ridden conservatively and have always worn a full-face helmet (an open face with a face shield saved my butt in the crash). In the last couple of years, I've started wearing a leather jacket 90% of the time. I leave the jacket at home in the dead of summer, when I know I'm just going to be puttering around the lightly trafficked countryside, but if I know I'm going to encounter traffic, I'll bring it and brave the Texas summer heat. About four years ago a guy I know found out I had a bike and started bugging me that I should go riding with him sometime. We headed out one pleasant spring afternoon, him on his sport bike and me on my cruiser, and almost immediately he was popping wheelies and standing up on his seat, on an Austin freeway. That was the last time we rode together. I see some of these crotch rocket jockeys riding around at breakneck speeds in shorts and sandals and wonder how long it's going to be before the gods of common sense order them out of the gene pool.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

Have you checked out the ventilated stuff? It's not quite as protective as actual leather, but it's a hell of a lot better than normal clothes.

No, I haven't, but I'll check it out. I'd like to have something protective to wear in the summer that isn't quite so hot.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

I have and Dallas isn't any worse than any other major American city I have ridden in. In fact, I would say Los Angeles is far worse since people drive faster in LA than any other city I have been in.

It's probably because when you can manage to find a open stretch of highway everyone goes crazy and drives 100mph. :D

Case in point the 210 and 118 freeways. I grew up in LA and even I think it's ridiculous to drive that fast all the time lol.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I have a ventilated jacket; it's way better than leather during the summer. It can still get warm and clammy feeling, but, well, so does my jumpsuit and I haven't let that stop me from jumping. Concrete and asphalt in 98 degree heat is going to be hot.

My main info for someone considering a motorcycle would be to take an MSF Beginning Rider's course. Take it first -- you get to learn all the stuff on someone else's lightweight bike.

I took the experienced rider's class a couple of years ago, and it was really good too.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Going fast in LA?? How is that even possible? :P

I did notice that when I was driving "conservatively" at around 90mph between LA and Perris (I have a strange fear of being pulled over in other states), I was getting passed by pretty much every other car on the road as if I was stopped, though :D

It's probably because when you can manage to find a open stretch of highway everyone goes crazy and drives 100mph. :D

It doesn't seem like people need an open stretch lately.... Hell, I don't even like driving my car on 635 anymore.:|

Having nearly been run over by countless people who don't pay attention driving (cell phone, etc..), it just got to a point where it wasn't fun anymore....

I lucked out in my beginner years. I took the advanced course several years ago during my second motorcycle phase.

It's the most valuable thing you can do for yourself. The cost is low, and the skills you acquire are extremely valuable. The beginner course is a must. Some of the same issues as the advanced course are also covered.

https://www.tdcparole.com

this is good information... I've bounced back and forth off and on throughout the years debating the posiblility of riding and usually I decide not to...

I might take it up someday but I'll definitely be a conservative rider.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I don't have enough character to keep those things under the speed limit. And then there is the fear/bullet proof syndrome where one minute i was bullet proof and the next minute i just wanted to get home alive. Used to play in rush hour highway traffic for fun. On a mission.:S

Hung it all up after getting too much air while jumping some railroad tracks that had a steep ramp. I win, bitches.:D
Worst injury ever from a bike was pulling into my own driveway at 4 mph. Slipped it and it fell on me cause the largest, deepest bruise you've ever seen on my leg.

I T boned an 88 bronco about 5 years ago at about 45 mph... totalled the bike and put a nice dent in the side of the bronco and one in the hood from my helmet.. landed about 20 past the truck on the other side of it... I was really lucky though and miraculously walked away from it... I think I set a pattern at a young age of hitting the ground really really hard and being gumby enough to walk away from it...:)

-yoshi

Worst injury ever from a bike was pulling into my own driveway at 4 mph. Slipped it and it fell on me cause the largest, deepest bruise you've ever seen on my leg.

It's for exactly this reason that I ALWAYS wear full riding gear, either Leather or Ballistic Nylon, or at the least Kevlar reinforced Denim (google "Draggin Jeans"). I have been riding for 20+ years and the only times I've hurt myself are in low speed offs, whether there is "heavy traffic of not. Last year I rode my wifes bike 1 mile down the road to a pub with her as pillion, leaving the pub (i dont drink) I lost the front end on the gravel drive and down the bike went, we were doing about 2Km/h, I didnt have my gloves on, and opened up both my hands. (also damaged my wifes 2 week old new bikB|B|man was she pissed off).
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?