maurice1369

ICARUS WAIT

Had the same problem last year, ordered it in early December....came from Spain. Supposedly, they'd lost the initial order and it wasn't discovered for months. I was told they process their orders by color and mine couldn't be made, until they ran that color again.

What is up with Icarus Canopies? I mean I ordered my custom canopy through through Sunshine Factory

There is where your problem is, you ordered a canopy through a reseller that is in a different country to the manufacturer.

If you ask the reseller what is going on they will say I don't know and if you ask the manufacturer they won't know your order as it is for the reseller.

I ordered MY JVX and My partners Omega directly off NZaerosports just before Xmas last year and had them to me within 7 weeks and I am in Africa!

Buy directly from the manufacturer, resellers generally are less concerned with how satisfied a customer is with a particular product than the manufacturer of the said product.

I'm sure you will love your Icarus when you finally get it.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I would suggest having gear you can jump in the interim, while waiting on your new gear. An Icarus canopy is well worth the wait. Surely you wouldn't want to jump a canopy that was manufactured in a week from scratch? With back orders, waiting on materiels and the workmanship, and YOU not being the only one standing in line for a Canopy, i can't understand your angst. Be glad you didn't order from Atair AKA: Cobalt.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Icarus Canopies in the US deals with a network of dealers. They do not sell directly to the public.

I have never dealt with NZ aerosports, but in America, you get your Icarus Canopy from an Icarus Dealer. Icaru dealers get the canopies from the factory in Spain. There is no difference in time by trying to go directly to Spain.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Nah they are just too busy skydiving... they only work on your canopy when they are on a weather hold

Funny you say that because they actually told us at one point that the factory in Spain would be closed for a MONTH during the summer.

I'm a DEALER for them and I'm having problems getting anything out of them. My DZ has 6 tandem canopies that have been on order over 6 months now. Still nothing. When I've called and spoken to them directly, they STILL can't give me an ETA.

Something needs to be straightened out. Badly.
Oh, hello again!

that statement is simply wrong. it might be that in souther europe, spain for example, they do that. usually the also have a four or five hour lunchbreak, but i guess you would too if temparatures are rising to over 120°F.. and no, we dont have air conditioning in every goddamn place!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Well take my advise for what it is worth. Its understood around the skydiving industry that lead times for alot of manufactures are getting rediculous. The way I look at it, the wait is WELL worth it. Their are manufactures that do get alot more business than there competitors, and cant keep up with the demand of their superior product. Thus the competiton being able to offer a quicker lead time. Alot of new jumpers now are wanting CUSTOM everything, instead of stock products this can also be slowing production times as well. If it is a product in which you know you are going to enjoy and love, why settle and break down going for the quicker lead time? So a couple of weeks go by and you have your product in hand flying it around. Thats great, but when you think about it, is it something in which you are TRUELY satisfied with? Or are you bummed because you couldn't wait, and settled for less. Just my two cents.....

Their are manufactures that do get alot more business than there competitors, and cant keep up with the demand of their superior product. Thus the competiton being able to offer a quicker lead time.

You're kidding right? Lead times aren't the complaint - it's the customer relations and service. The OP was told 16 weeks. Then it went to 25. Almost every single person I know with an Icarus product has had some issue at some point contacting or getting communication from the company and the poor US dealers get the brunt of it because they can't get hold of the company either.

Icarus, while they have notably good products, have never been strong in the customer service department. There are plenty of good businesses both in skydiving and outside of skydiving that grow their operations accordingly to offer good customer service.

Your (bogus) argument excusing poor service because of a good product has driven many companies into the ground over the years in the corporate world. Skydivers, oddly enough, are generally willing to tolerate more crap than the average consumer.

Now don't get me wrong, no company is perfect. Even the best make mistakes and get it wrong. But look back on the history - this is not the exception.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey Guys,

as to the response of the wait time I IMO have chosen another equally great canopy and I was told the average wait time is 8 weeks. I canned the Icarus order and decided to go with the Sabre2. I don't feel as if I have compromised wait time for quality. PD and Icarus both make great canopies and since the customer service I received from Icarus was sub par for a company who sells the canopies the price they do you would think that they would cater to the customer a little better than they do. I mean seriously if I would have been given any kind of notice as to why the wait was extended I would probably have endured the wait. But oh well
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!