Conundrum

If you knew you'd die skydiving...

Dang Cora. You've got to stay away from those cars. You've got a number of car "bonus" days I see. I have one for sure car "bonus" day myself and many other bonus days from some of the sports I've done in the past. Would I jump if my next jump was death? Well the answer would be "No". But like many others, I know this (and other parachute related sports) could kill me. Yet I continue to jump and continue to do it often. What's more dangerous? Currency or Uncurrent? If I jump a lot, I risk death more often. But hopefully I am current to the point where I'm on top of the 8-ball. In contrast. If I only occasionally jump, I may not be at risk as many times, but my skill and awareness levels won't be the same as if I was current. Who's at more risk here? I know. I'll lock myself up and live as a hermit safe from all the worlds dangers. Except I think I'd be dead within 10 years. I like my chances of staying alive 10 years in this sport. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

ok, yeah.. i'm on the same page now:)
the first question said:
"If you knew you would die skydiving, would you continue to jump?"
i would go probably go with yes on that as well (even though I voted "no") because it doesn't say when!:D:)
but this is the question i was going by before (p2):
"If you KNEW that the NEXT jump you made was for SURE going to kill you, you'd still do it?"
that's why i said no and a little shocked why some were still voting yes. the two are very different...
heidi :$
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Old thread with new actuality...
I for myself did not change my point of view, if I knew I was going to die either in Skydiving or BASE I would not do another jump. But I know that I have good chances in surfiving, that is why I don't stop...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

***Doing anything in which you know death is an absolute is suicide.

Therefore the real question is would you commit suicide.

Absolutely not for me.

Very well stated and I agree completely.

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Doing anything in which you know death is an absolute is suicide.
Absolutely not for me.

If you know you'll die driving, would you stop driving ?
And if you stop driving, you'll die (me too) of something, someday.
If you know you'll die, will you stop living ? :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Please see this post by me (scroll down) if you are confused on my position:)
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=2251792;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

What you're saying was not the question. The question was an absolute.

After this...I'm done responding to left-field inferences.:|
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Gotta die sometime. Would rather die doing something I love than getting creamed riding my bike to work. Allthough I wish skydivingwas moore popular with the spectators, because that way people would put stickers with your number on the back of their cars ;)
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Skydiving is abit like russian roulette... you can win and win and win and then BANG... game over. It is impossible to know the exact date and time of when you will die (unless you're on death row and out of appeals). May has been an awfully bad month with the loss of so many of our kind. Not one "knew" they were going to die, but, I'm sure, "knew" that that jump "could" be their last and, unfortunately, was. Know each jump could be your last and take every precaution to make it not so. Know your gear, practice your EP's, stay aware, keep your head on a swivel while under canopy, be safe, have fun.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

On my last but one jump I knew on the ride up I would have to cutaway and no it was not just me having a newbie headfuk moment it was a very real feeling just like I had on my level 5 when my instructor had a cutaway. I just knew something was going to happen, I felt so sick with fear at times on that plane, something that does'nt happen to me as usually I am pretty excited or relaxed with just a twinge of anxiousnous.

I still went on both occasions. Was that wrong of me? Both outcomes were ok. But then again if I knew for SURE I would die on a particular jump then no I would not go, that is obvious. But this is a rather silly question in itself as we could all die on any one of our jumps regardless of any warning/feeling, so if you are not prepared to except it then why do it at all? To be honest with you, falling at 120mph + at mother earth is a pretty fucking freaky thing to want to do in the first place and a dangerous enviroment to be in...shit can happen.

if I smoked 100 fags a day I MAY get away with not getting a smoking related illness on the other hand I may not. Who knows? It is a gamble, such is life on it's many levels. Not ready to play then don't deal the cards I say...and I am new to this particular game. I am also not a reckless person...I have a young child to think of also.

Took me three weeks to get back in the plane after my cutaway...I had a lot of thinking to do. Now it is done.

i have no sympathy or tears for those that answer yes to this and then die

[:/] I suppose you're aware that there is someone who post-replied "yes" to this thread and died. :(

T

Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

No I would not, because that would rob me of the joy and exhilaration I feel when I'm in that sky. I'm scared enough as it is when I leave that plane. It is the joy that keeps me pushing through that fear every time, if it's not there then what's the point?

Plus it would be extremely irresponsible on my part since I have a family. Kinda like playing Russian Roulette.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

No. Calculated risk is one thing, voluntarily acting in a manner that assures certain death is another.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Doing anything in which you know death is an absolute is suicide.

Absolutely not for me.

:|

Mind if I use this in the future? Perfectly stated.

By that reasoning, life is suicide.

Walt

My dear Walt.

In life, only death is an absolute. It is rarely an absolute HOW one will die.

It is the prior absolute knowledge which makes it suicide.

:P

By your reasoning, suicide cannot exist. But, in fact it does[:/]

In skydiving death is not an absolute. The question was a hypothetical absolute.

Does anyone else need a martini now?;)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

By that reasoning, life is suicide.

That is SOOOOO something I would post. Dammit, Walt, I hate my attitude and you're showing why people can't stand my sorry ass.

I don't want to go thinking that I've brought you over to the dark side, but it looks like I may have. Don't you have a turd to photograph..

My wife is hotter than your wife.