shah269

What book would you recommend for a newcomer to this sport?

Atlas Shrugged

The Eragon Series

Maybe the Gunslinger series by Stephen King

???

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey, I was going to say that! "Get a logbook and fill it up" is not a smart-ass answer. The fact is, skydiving is kind of like riding a bike. Watching someone do it (or reading about it) is no substitute for just doing it.
You say you are going to Florida next week. You didn't say what part, but if you can get to the wind tunnel in Orlando, it will be time and money well spent. Good luck in your future endeavors.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Hey, I was going to say that! "Get a logbook and fill it up" is not a smart-ass answer. The fact is, skydiving is kind of like riding a bike. Watching someone do it (or reading about it) is no substitute for just doing it.
You say you are going to Florida next week. You didn't say what part, but if you can get to the wind tunnel in Orlando, it will be time and money well spent. Good luck in your future endeavors.

I will be at Fort Walton Beach from Monday till Friday.
I honestly never even thought about the wind tunnels.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

That rules out the Orlando wind tunnel on this trip - it's about a 6 hour drive from Fort Walton Beach. Maybe you can get to a wind tunnel some other time. They're lots of fun. Anyway, have a good time at the beach.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Skydiver Information Manual, The Skydiver's Handbook, The Holy Bible.

That's a good example of how easy it is to read and understand it too. It's a disorganized collections of ideas, some of which hardly apply anymore and some that contradict what's written later in the same book.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Yes. Memorize what your instructor tells you to read. As I said in the other thread you have, work through your instructors. They need you to know specific things first. Once that's done then you have a reference point and can start looking at other sources.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

...Also THE book until this century, Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook by Dan Poynter....

I agree. I think Dan's book is the best for someone interested in getting into the sport.

Meh - I just got started on the 2007 edition and there's a lot of stuff in the first two chapters I wouldn't want students to know before their FJC... They'd have to 'unlearn' all the stuff they studied on their own. :)Different seating arrangements, different poised exit, different exit count etc.

To be fair, the authors warn the prospective student about that in their foreword and the book seems an interesting read so far.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

The one I wrote with Marcus Antebi... if you can find it. "Skydiver's Survival Guide"

You wote this book? then congratulations!! For me this is DA BOOK for a new jumper, even not-so-new jumper could learn some stuff.
Really an excellent book, I definitevely recommend it....
Personnally I am not fond of poynter's book, I find it to be a bit old fashioned....