Dancergirl

America, why are you so crap ?

I know america is great at american football, and ice hockey and 'the world series baseball' but what other country plays these on a national level?

Let's not forget about NASCAR!!!!! YES, NASCAR is a team sport.

Again....an american sport.
How does America do in the World rally championships? or maybe the Formula one, where actual teams from other countries compete?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I suppose it is relative. I grew up in TX where American football was king. I lived in Alaska for 7 years when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. I went to the State FB championship game (in October!) and 200 people were there. (15,000 for a state game in TX) Then I went to a cross city hockey rivalry Service HS vs Dimond HS in Anchoarge ... 2500 standing room only. I think if I stayed in AK I could have learned to like hockey.

IMHO, it depends on what you play. I never played soccer, can't stand it. I never played golf until 38, couldn't stand it. From 94-2001 I played a lot of golf and I liked watching it. I took up skydiving again in 2001, and I can't watch golf anymore. ...

steveOrino

How does America do in the World rally championships? or maybe the Formula one, where actual teams from other countries compete?

Well...:$

In the first 24 hrs. of Le Mans that A.J. Foyt 'competed' in...the fat old American was last out because he 'waddled' to his car instead of ran like all those sporty Euro racers...:S

But somehow was several minutes ahead of the #2 driver when the cars came through again after the 1st lap.:$

If memory serves, A.J. went on to set the overall course speed record that race...don't think it's been matched since!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Well...:$

In the first 24 hrs. of Le Mans that A.J. Foyt 'competed' in...the fat old American was last out because he 'waddled' to his car instead of ran like all those sporty Euro racers...:S

But somehow was several minutes ahead of the #2 driver when the cars came through again after the 1st lap.:$

If memory serves, A.J. went on to set the overall course speed record that race...don't think it's been matched since!;)

OK, I gather that you, uh, go back a while:) but do you know of any american success a little more recent than the '60s?:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

at football?

It is pretty much a function of economics. It is hard to include commercial messages in the telecast of a game that does not have regular time-outs.

The sports that get the most coverage in the USofA all have regular breaks in the play sufficient to allow for paid announcements. Given the salaries of the players and the price of advertising, there is precious little interest in a sport where it is inconvenient to make it lucrative.

I agree that American Football is a joke, but that is what the market here will bear.

Blue skies,

Winsor

I suppose it is relative. I grew up in TX where American football was king. I lived in Alaska for 7 years when I was in my late 20's and early 30's. I went to the State FB championship game (in October!) and 200 people were there. (15,000 for a state game in TX)

I grew up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Football is huge down there. High school games draw alot of people. When I was 10, I joined Boy Scouts. Every Saturday night home game, we'd be ushers at the LSU Tigers game. That's what I grew up with. 90K rednecks can't all be wrong, even if they are drunk. :DB|B|
We are all engines of karma

OK, I gather that you, uh, go back a while but do you know of any american success a little more recent than the '60s?

This ISN'T the 60's???:o

Oh man....I gotta quit playing with the dials on my time machine when I drink!:$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

soccer is a great game and really big at the youth level in the usa--however--it will never be big commercially in the us as it is EVERYWHERE else in the world unless it can take off on the professional level with big salaries which will attract the best athletes--this is very difficult since it most compete with football, baseball, and basketball in the us--most other places don't have so much competition for the money--also soccer requires very little money to play for fun--so it is open to more people worldwide. that's one of the great things about it and what makes it so popular. of course, it will never compete with jumping!

MUFF #3384, DIRTY SANCHEZ #28(Chief Recruiting Officer), FALLING GATOR #7801-A, POPS #10957, FLYING HELLFISH #847, HISPAS #79, SRA #9229, Surfador Rodrigues

It is pretty much a function of economics. It is hard to include commercial messages in the telecast of a game that does not have regular time-outs.

The sports that get the most coverage in the USofA all have regular breaks in the play sufficient to allow for paid announcements. Given the salaries of the players and the price of advertising, there is precious little interest in a sport where it is inconvenient to make it lucrative.

I agree that American Football is a joke, but that is what the market here will bear.

Blue skies,

Winsor

And you're from PA???? AKA QB state.

Now I'm not saying American FB and BB don't lend themsleves to TV ads, but seriously you don't think that is why it is popular? How would your theory explain the popularity of BB before TV????

steveOrino

American football, soccer, or throwing around a goats head and beating each other with sticks.

All organized sports are boring crap.

I amuses me to watch people fighting over who has the best boring, useless crap B|
__

My mighty steed

Blue skies,

Winsor

And you're from PA???? AKA QB state.

Now I'm not saying American FB and BB don't lend themsleves to TV ads, but seriously you don't think that is why it is popular? How would your theory explain the popularity of BB before TV????

No idea - I do not watch sports (with the sole exception of when the Red Sox are in the Series).

My comment is from a marketing, not sports fan, standpoint, and was picked up secondhand.

As an aside, I think the correlation between consumption of stupor-inducing beverages and finding televised sports interesting is pretty solid.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Foootball, Soccer etc etc are just games for girly wirly pansies.

I hate nothing more than being hounded by drunken English yobs who belive that the only way for them to 'support England' is to get as pissed as possible.....and then fight each other.

When i work on the council estates of this fair isle i see a multitude of St George's crosses.....these cross bearing filthy scum dont know how to support England...if they did maybe they would all get jobs and actually support the fair isle instead of cheating its benefits system.....

The last time i checked......most of the f##kwits i saw rolling around the pavements and outside the pubs on the 2 recent england games were 75% doley scumbags with another excuse for a piss-up and a fight.

oh bloody hell......here i go again.... am i off topic?

sorry

B|

'Atmosphere Hooligan'

AH #001, RANDOM BS#043

Oi lads...

You're complaining about football (soccer for the colour impaired) ... I agree wholeheartedly. But you ain't seen BORING untill you had the TOUR DE FRANCE/ITALY/SPAIN/TUMBUCTU(sp?) forcefully being displayed... not that is the king of "boring".

Need I bring up subject of that odd(er) sport where they push & brush some blocks on a strap of ice?

We Yuros rule in boring sports.

edit: speeelinge is ovarated

Join me in my "no clouds" petition!