kelel01

I NEED to travel

Seriously, I NEED to travel like some people need water. I want to see the deepest regions of Africa, Indonesia, the South Pacific, etc.

Who's been there? What was it like? Travels to places like this go on my "10 things I need to do before I die" list.

And if anyone has tips on how to make it happen, I just so happen to have a free year in my schedule coming up. ;)

Seriously, I NEED to travel like some people need water. I want to see the deepest regions of Africa, Indonesia, the South Pacific, etc.

Fruit of my Rodriguez loins, Travel away. I just want to stay home and vacation for 7 days solid. Scratch Nigeria off your African adventure - Unless you're into dashing (bribing) the customs and immigration officers to get by them. Oh, and the mopol (Mobile Police aka big black dude with an AR15) was helpful getting around if traffic stopped.
Oh...I get it.
Grab any of the Lonely Planet books and go. Best guide books to get around the world on a tight budget. This year (I'll throw in the last 12 months), i've been to Norway, Scotland, Germany, Nigeria, Mexico and will be going to China, Brazil and back to Nigeria, Scotland and Norway before the year is up, probably multiple times. I've found a bit o time to play tourist and it's definitely made the torture of so many days away from home worth it.

btw, I write this from a hotel on the tail end of a 11 day trip.
-----
~~~Michael

I can't help with the abroad travel. However, if you wanna' jump at a really kewl dz, come this way. Buddy Blue (yeah, SkyMonkeyone's dad) has a great little (and super safe) dz, family oriented and with a bunch of world class jumpers with tons of time in sport. The parties are pretty great, too, but don't tell everyone cause it's a small place and maintains a low (sorta') profile. Besides, the more people find out about it, the more will come and I like it small cause it's more personal that way.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

How about we switch lives? I was just thinking "I NEED to not travel."
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Germany, France, Kuwait, Qatar, Kyrgyzstan, Afghanistan...

Travelled enough... ready to go home!

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

I love Asia. Indonasia, Thailand, philippines, Vietnam are nice places where food is cheap and a great time happens at night when the cities light up.

The day is also a great time but it just can be too hot at times.

X-mas in the Philippines is cool that takes the US X-mas to the 1800's when it meant something except in a warm enviornment and alot of lights.

The bad things is the trafic and congestion. Figure 200 people in a city block with cars and trucks. But when in rome act as the romans do.

Have fun.
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Foreign countries visited:

New Jersey
Germany
Belgium
Holland
France
Luxembourg
Spain
Morocco (well for about 4 hours anyway - long story)
Yugoslavia
Phillipines
Viet Nam
Guam
Mexico
Canada
Miami
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

A foreign country eh?... How about taking a nice trip down to Camilla, Georgia. Plenty of good ole Southern culture, rusted pickup trucks, refrigerators on the front porch and mud puddles galore. You could explore the deepest regions of Mable's Country Diner and learn the long lost secret on how to keep a rebel flag halter-top on while opening a Budweiser, chain smoking Marlboros and holding a 2 year old. And the beauty of it all is it would only cost about $6.75 for the whole weekend.:S:P:)
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Ask Lochland. He's been everywhere.

Seriously Kel, I can't help but notice that you've been in a crossroads recently. Maybe you should think about pulling a Kristen and going to find yourself.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Yes, you're right. Since I have a year before I can get into med school, I think I'm really gonna do that for a while. First stop, Brazil.

And you're right again - Lach and Kristin would be the perfect people to talk to about this stuff. :)

Join the Peace Corps.;):D:D

Better yet, Kel, you're going into a BSN program. Look into the Air Force programs for medical service officers. When I was active in the reserves, I met alot of nurses who had been everywhere in the world. And, you're serving a greater need.

I don't see you as liberal whacko enough to join the peace corps.

VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

I'm going travelling in a years time.

Not just "travelling" i.e. following the quasi toursit stops round thailand then to australia and then to the US but doing some proper travelling.

I'm basically going to walk to the nearest motorway junction and see where I get taken. The basic plan is to save some cash and then work my passage round to different places. I'm thinking at a rate of around £20 ($40 ish?) a day on average to keep me.

The main areas that I want to see are:

Eastern Europe, Russia, Bosnia etc..
Chernobyl (I want to glow!)
Norway and Denmark,
Then travel down through europe towards turkey etc...

Cross over into africa go down one side and up the other venturing into the middle now and again..

Throught the middle east towards india and SE asia

China, Japand and onto Australia and New Zealand.

Finish off with walking the inca trail and up south america..I want to spend a lot of time here as i think its a great place.

Then onto the US...going to try and sneak accross the border at night (passport in hand) - heck its a challenge.

Have some crazy plan to do all the US states hitchiking them before canada.

I expect its going to take me about 2 maybe 3 years to do it properly - now thats a challenge.

Alternate way of funding it was to get a Land Rover and drive it round the world renting out places in the rover and tent to over people for $50 a week (2 places avail).

Plan still needs some work.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Hello you perfect angel :)

In vaguely geographical order, I have been to..

Scotland
France
Germany
Spain
Italy
Switzerland
Greece
Croatia
Morrocco
Maldives
India
Nepal
Thailand
Malaysia
Indonesia
Singapore
Australia
Fiji
USA
Cuba

If you want to know about my experiences in any of these countries PM me, but as you mention Indonesia..it was only Bali, and only about 3 weeks, but all the Asian countries I've been to I found Indonesia to be the place you need to stay most alert. It's a beautiful beautiful island and the people are welcoming and friendly, but don't get on the wrong side of them. Perhaps due to their relatively recent colonial past, I felt a bit of a chip on some peoples shoulders..

Of course one persons experience will be totally different from anothers, but if yoyu take anything from this post make it this; take the road less travelled and get out of the tourist ghettos. You'll experience a more authentic taste of their culture and meet more genuine people. Lots of places, especially in Asia, are IMHO somewhat homogenised.

I'd say of all these places the one I want to go back to most is India.. but I'd rather see you in Brazil!

Hope that helps
but what do I know

but if yoyu take anything from this post make it this; take the road less travelled and get out of the tourist ghettos. You'll experience a more authentic taste of their culture and meet more genuine people. Lots of places, especially in Asia, are IMHO somewhat homogenised.

So so so true. Sometimes its quite difficult to get off the tourist path but its always worthwhile.

Out of the places i've been, favourites were Japan, Argentina, and pretty much all of south east asia but especially borneo (Sarawak and Kalimantan)

How about doing some volunteer jobs in a few different places? you quite often have to live with locals and really get to know some places.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

If you really want to travel, just join me!

I'll be leaving to SA, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique...etc. by end of August/begin of September - about 4 weeks are planned.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/africa/africa_pol_2003.jpg

It will be a trip through several African countries by car, most important to me is visiting Kruger NP and other national parks....

This is best time of the year, as rainy season is over and spring is coming.

THAT exactly will be my escape from daily life..... B|B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Anybody coming to Brazil and spending any time near São Paulo, PM me. There's an excellent little DZ here and plenty of other things to do.
Anybody going to Asia can PM me too, so we can plan how you're gonna stuff me in your luggage so I can come along. :ph34r:

The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer, not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary.

THAT'S what I want to do!

And go to Brazil. Maybe it'd be easier if I broke up the trips, rather than trying to travel the world all at once.

Africa and South America are definitely at the top of the list, followed closely by Asia.

Countries traveled if you have any questions...

New Zealand
Australia
Fiji
Samoa
Rarotonga
Thailand
Vietnam
Cambodia
Singapore
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Germany
Spain
France
Egypt
Portugal
England
Scotland
Ireland
Wales
Netherlands
China
Malaysia
Indonesia

All of these countries i have backpacked through at least once bust most multiple times.
Any questions on traveling through i will be happy to ask.
My fav place is Thailand. Been there around 7 times and can not wait to get back.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store