mdrejhon

How do you pass time in the RIDE to altitude? Sleep? Watch a ripped DVD on your helmetcam? :-)

Ya. I've heard of people bringing their videogame gear onto the Cessna's.

And who says that's the limit? I've heard some skydivers even attempting to play videogames in free fall. :S :S :S A group of skydivers played a wireless networked game in freefall on Nintendo DS's. :D

Very interesting, though. Don't think it'd be appropriate without checking with the DZSA first, and your jump numbers would be high enough, and your jumpsuit pocket would need to be big enough to hold the videogame unit when jumprun came.

Ya. I've heard of people bringing their videogame gear onto the Cessna's.

And who says that's the limit? I've heard some skydivers even attempting to play videogames in free fall. :S :S :S A group of skydivers played a wireless networked game in freefall on Nintendo DS's. :D

Very interesting, though. Don't think it'd be appropriate without checking with the DZSA first, and your jump numbers would be high enough, and your jumpsuit pocket would need to be big enough to hold the videogame unit when jumprun came.

Yeah, I saw that. I think it'd be WAY too easy to lose altitude awareness... not to mention there aren't any good games on the DS :)
cavete terrae.

You reminded me of my wonderful adventure being on the camera crew of the Herc Boogie last year. Fall asleep on the climb to altitude on that bird and you miss your chance to jump! The gear comes up, you check your handles, the ramp goes down and you get the hell out!

I talk a lot with my peers and students on the rides to alti. Kingair, so it's about 15 min to 14K. Students have lots of questions, so that passes time quickly. When I'm on some bigger way RW thing I just try real hard to remember the points, and if I'm going along to photograph some Freefly, I just visualize myself transitioning from head down to sit and getting the light right.

Do you lip read? Since you have hearing aids I would assume you can speak. If possible, conversation is the bomb going to alti. I am often completely hoarse from my loud conversations going to altitude. Conversations about just about anything.

Your hearing aids, if they adjust for noise of freefall, would probably be fine under a nice protec, allow them to pick up voices, and keep them secure.

Do you lip read? Since you have hearing aids I would assume you can speak. If possible, conversation is the bomb going to alti. I am often completely hoarse from my loud conversations going to altitude. Conversations about just about anything.

Your hearing aids, if they adjust for noise of freefall, would probably be fine under a nice protec, allow them to pick up voices, and keep them secure.

I can hear with them on, but the usual signal-to-noise considerations.

For you physics students, since I am 90% deaf, the 10% hearing has to be compressed in an unusually narrow spectrum between my minimum whisper-quiet hearing threshold (80db) and my hearing pain threshold (120db). That's only 40db dynamic range worth of hearing, while you have over 120db worth of dynamic range. As a result, background noise (signal-to-noise) REALLY interferes, meaning my ability to pick out conversations is quite limited, and many sounds, of course, sound exactly the same.

In a much more controlled environment (no background noise), it's a lot easier for me to hear at least a portion of speech. Even so, "Hello this is Mark Rejhon" sounds exactly the same as "Eh ih ih ah ay awn" or that a medium-large pot banging may sound like "Mark!" being yelled at me. More information in my Hearing FAQ at www.marky.com/hearing ...

Speaking slowly in phrases at a time really help, and I do get a little conversation thrown in, but most of the conversation is done on the notepad since it's a lot easier, and I always carry it anyway (dive planning, talking, etc). But sometims it's just faster to write than to speak slowly, since the added problem of the airplane environment and people may be sitting facing away from me (if I am sitting next to the pilot), meaning I can't lipread them.

I prefer to wait until I am on the ground and using a pocket wallet-size folding keyboard (I can type up to 140 words per minute on it -- as fast as I can talk). People at my dropzone comment on my amazing typing speed. (The equipment is an iPaq Pocket PC 4155 with ThinkOutside Stowaway XT Bluetooth wireless folding keyboard only half an inch thick and wallet-sized) I also love the iPaq too since it can also playback MPEG files, such as my skydiving videos. It's my pocket wallet album too, that plays digital media.

On the runway, as we are taking off, the skydive has already started. I am watching the wind sock to check the direction of the wind when I land. It might not be the same when I'm landing, but there's a good chance it will be, and I can prepare myself for landing in that direction - what will the turbulence be in the landing zone as the wind passes over objects from that direction? Touch my handles to make sure they are in place.

As we are taking off, the skydive has already started. I am checking ground speed to see how fast the winds really are - usually they take off into the wind, and you can gauge how fast the wind speed is by the penetration speed of the aircraft.

As we climb, the skydive is just beginning. I know that I need about 1500 feet to exit safely if there's an emergency - I'm keeping my seatbelt on until 1500. If we take off west, we start to climb over mountains and I know the ground is rising, so I may not take off my belt until 2,000, since ground level is 500 feet higher. Skooch down a bit to make more room for everyone. If there's turbulence here, I make a note of that because it's going to bet bumpy as I'm setting up my landing pattern.

Plane still in the air? good. breathe sigh of relief - skydive's off to a good start. Now that we're higher than 2,000, take off my helmet, so I can look around better. Pay attention to where the DZ was - behind me, or to the left or right, as I turn? I want to know where it is all the time, in case we have to bail early, or in case the pilot decides to try to drop us over the wrong airport. Check my rings and straps. Look outside - which way is the sun? That helps in case I get lost on descent and also in setting up my landing pattern. What's my altitude now? Where is the DZ again?

4000 feet? Are those clouds at 4,000 feet? Well, I'll keep that in mind in case I lose track of altitude - if I see clouds go by on the way down, it might be time to check my altitude. Look around at others - does everyone else look OK? Their gear OK? I look at as many others' chest straps as I can - I've seen people forget as they were going out the door. If I'm coaching a student, I take a harder look at their gear, and may even tug and fiddle with parts (straps, etc) if I think it's safe to do so.

The skydive is still going well - always good news! What was the planned jump again? Oh yeah, practice mentally for about 30 seconds. got it. Does anyone know if we can get a wind check before we jump? Who's jumping before and after me? The larger the group ahead of me, the more time I'm giving them. Who's behind me? That guy's OK - he has a lot more jumps than I do. But sometimes I get newbies behind me, and I ask them how long they're going to wait before they jump out after me. What altitude are we at? Where was the dropzone again?

Getting close to 10,000. Time to put on the helmet and get ready to jump. Are we going to get full altitude? Those clouds look a little low, so if we don't get full altitude, I've got to check my altimeter more often in freefall - this is where it gets dangerous if you're used to 60 seconds of freefall - that internal clock will kill you if you don't pay attention. I've got a few minutes, so I'll go over the jump in my head again. Am I in the best position for the group jump? Booties on, goggle ready - don't want to get goggles on yet, because they'll just fog up. All zippers zipped, straps snug and handles good. Yep, there's the DZ and landing zone just out the window - exactly where I knew they would be. Can we get the wind report?

12,000 and getting ready to get out - the first part of the skydive is almost over - now for the fun part. Does everyone look like they are going to have a good jump? Anyone look hypoxic (in Colorado, we really jump from 17,500, 'cause the LZ is at 5,050, and people get hypoxic, but it's usually tandem students). Anyone look nauseous? I hope they're behind me if they're going to be sick. Can I see the ground speed by looking out the side window? sometimes, but not today - I'll have to check when I get in the door. One more quick review of the planned jump - what do I need to watch out for on the exit? I know the snag points in the door - does my body position have to be perfect to prevent knocking anyone out on exit?

Jump run, goggles down, watching the light, listening for any last minute news from the pilot. Is everyone exiting as expected? Are there any problems? Why is it taking so long? Has someone seen a plane below us? No - everyone's getting out, but someone wanted a better spot for their group I guess - plan on being a little long when I open. Make sure to point back to the DZ right after I open and check my space. Try not to crowd the tail of the plane - stay toward the pilot until it's my turn to jump. I check my three handles one more time to make sure they're in place.

OK, here's the door. I know my slot and I know the skydive. Everyone's pilot chute secure? good. Can I see the ground? Do I see any planes coming? How fast are we moving over the ground? How far away is the last group? Looks like they're going straight down. I'm giving them more time before I get out. I think there's people yelling at me to get out, but what do they know? They can't see that there's still plenty of room over the runway. This is probably why that other group took so long to get out. We've still got half the runway. Wait a few more seconds. Step into my position. It's OK to go now - make eye contact with others in my group to let them know I'm ready to go now.

Annnnnnnd start the count ...
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

at my home DZ I tend to look out the windows a lot.

I do that regardless of where I'm jumping - especially if it's not my home dz. Love the view from altitude! Even better if I can sit by the door.

I'm not usually a big talker in the plane - I've found I fly better if I save that energy for freefall. Instead of joking around, I'll spend more time thinking about the jump and double and triple checking my gear.

I really like to catch a tandem passengers attention when we're getting close to jump run, "give them some skin" and tell them to have fun. B|

Very nice write up! Even at my jump numbers, you'd sound like a very safe skydiver (at least in the airplane part of things so far!)

I already observe cloud altitude ("hmmm, partial clouds at 3000 feet. That's my open altitude") and turbulence ("wow, that was a bumpy takeoff. I'll have to watch turbulence when landing.").

I'll keep awareness of where the dropzone is by glancing out the window. I already recognize landmarks. Forest? The dropzone south. That tuning-fork shaped farmhouse. The dropzone's north. Near Kingston? We're very far west from the dropzone during the mid-climb. Almost over the Thousand Islands region? We're near the USA-Canada border farther south of the dropzone.

I glance at the windsock during taxi and takeoff, but at least a couple times I forgot to -- and only notice at 3000 feet when I open. (Oops. Newbie error) I remembered the general wind direction from earlier in the day, but there are days that it's changing directions out of the wazoo.

On a very hazy day (not clouds, but summer smog), it was very difficult to see the airport at a steep angle at 10,000 feet vertical and very far horizontally, but the metal-roofed tuning fork shaped farmhouse (pointing one runway length away from the landing area towards the north) stood out like a bleeping beacon. So I knew that was the dropzone hidden by the smog haze.

I'm still pre-A so I can't pincheck others yet, and there's only 3 other jumpers on the 182. I usually only do one handles check on jumprun. But I do also self-check my 3-rings and the cutaway loop (feeling with my finger), a habit I've developed after hearing recommendations.

I'm certainly not as comprehensive as you though...

There's no such thing as a light on a Cessna 182, and the plane take twice as long to climb as a Twin Otter. You lucky turbine guys have it all. ;) We DO get the Twin Otter from time to time though. Not this weekend though... (Next time is September 3-5th! Yay!)

Last weekend was real busy. Scott Miller was at our dropzone, and all three Cessna's was even running back-to-back during busy portions of the day when the tandems fly at the same time as the Scott Miller loads, as well as us regular jumpers.

I've been waiting for someone to say PRAY!

I don't pray on the way to altitude (I'm pretty sure my soul is screwed, so why bother?), but one time I was jumping at Skydive Spaceland and there this this Asian guy (I think he was a student) and at about 7 or 8 grand, this guy starts prayin'.

We're not talking about just any kind of praying. We're talkin' maximum holy roller testifying to the Lord! kind of prayin'. I mean this guy was getting into it!

Personally, I was wondering just what kind of fucked up jump he thought he was going to be having that required that kind of high-octane prayer, but I have to hand it to the other jumpers on the plane: nobody laughed, rolled their eyes, or anything like that. Several, like me, looked a bit dumbfounded, but all were respectful.

I wish I had it on video.

Walt

at my home DZ I tend to look out the windows a lot.

I do that regardless of where I'm jumping - especially if it's not my home dz. Love the view from altitude! Even better if I can sit by the door.

Excellent point, especially at a new DZ ... it's great to check out the view and especially get my bearings. I was just taking the opportunity to brag on the particularly specatcular views here in the Pacific Northwest.

Super fun when you're by the door on a fly-by of a fire tower. Like, oh, say, in Montana. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been waiting for someone to say PRAY!

i said it on page 1 --i try to keep the big guy on my side... and even though i'm still a student, i cover all bases. even the pilot! :)
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

***How do you pass time in the RIDE to altitude?

Masterbate. It freaks the tandems out but the fun jumpers have kinda gotten use to it.:P

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

in reply to......How do you pass the time ...

Sit up the front with a cruisy pilot and have a fly ...ah've racked up a few hours that way . After the freefallers are gone those turbines really climb out. Two miles then you get to chase the plane.....:ph34r:

- Sleep (Yessiere, sometimes they *actually* fall asleep and need to be kicked awake... Not even pretending to be asleep.)

Yup, that's me. I didn't get much sleep doing WT, as every one around me kept waking me up for fear I had passed out>:(

I love those little power naps on the way to altitude.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I've fallen asleep kinda freaked out the other on that load she was only about a dozen jumps higher on me and the Instructor was doing the spotting thing, I find when ther is a full load and couldnt move around that i just relax and start to go over in my mind what the instructor had discused and reherse it and thats it start to nood off.

But I did spend 9 year in the armour corps driving around in crampt noisy boxs so it actualy feels calming and natural to me havent realey bee stressed ecept when geting to the door. when it's time to get ready I can just switch on and get ready for the jump. When its been 2 or three on the run I've been at the instructor side going through how to spot and observing the 2 min turn and such.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

One third of the time, I check my own gear. The other third of the time, I check everyone else's gear, and the other third of the time, I go throught the dive plan. Of course, non-linear ( spread the time evenly through the ride up across all three tasks). Granted, my home DZ has a King Air, so that gives me about 2 minutes for each activity.

Cheers
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"