Andy_Copland

Anyone find it funny how...

The BPA will give you an A license, yet you being able to pack isnt a requirment. Yet they wont let you jump a full face helmet until you have a B?

Am i missing something here? :S

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I tried on a Mamba full face while i was geared up and located my handles, it wasnt a big deal at all.

The part that bigs me is the BPA will give a license to someone if they cant pack yet its too dangerous to jump a full face...

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I had a veteran DZO who said i couldn't wear my full face yet because she said i won't be able to see my handles.

That's a stupid reason. I can't see my handles anyway because my boobs are in the way, it has nothing to do with my helmet! :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I had a veteran DZO who said i couldn't wear my full face yet because she said i won't be able to see my handles.

That's a stupid reason. I can't see my handles anyway because my boobs are in the way, it has
nothing to do with my helmet! :S

OOOOOOWWOOOOW!!!!!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Boobs I can understand....but full face helmet blocking your vision of the handles?

Only thing that I can think of, is under canopy it would be hard to hear for instruction. If you are off of student status hopefully that wouldn't be the case.

From what I have experianced...Full face helmets have a tendancy to fog up when the get to a lower alti...any goggles/sunglasses do for that matter. If you aren't sure where your handles are and need to search for them with a foggy helmet then your out of luck.....you don't have much time to open your lens to clear the fog....

Thats the only thing that I can think of.
F LORIDA!

I've worn a full-face on almost every one of my post-student jumps because I wear glasses when I jump. I freefly in it all the time too. As for the fogging up, I've had a different experience. I've only had it fog up in the plane on cold days and on a wingsuit jump but usually it clears itself once I enter the air (it's not the kind that can flip-up). Maybe you're right about not being able to hear well, or maybe they think vision is obstructed in them. I dunno why they'd have that rule either.

I've never relied on being able to see my handles. I always make an effort to feel where they are by running my hand up my harness as part of my pre-flight exercises. It's come in handy twice for me so far, thank goodness!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I've had 4 cutaways. 3 on a tandem, 1 sport jump and 1 that I don't count that was an intential on the Skyhook demo rig. All of them I never once looked at my handles.

However, low time jumper (sub 50 jumps) may not have done enough handle touches that they can located directly without grabbing the MLW or their jumpsuit by accident. Especially doing 2-handed chops, since the harness moves after cutaway, making the reserve handle harder to located.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's a stupid reason. I can't see my handles anyway because my boobs are in the way, it has nothing to do with my helmet! :S

Sigh - Thank you for that.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

However, low time jumper (sub 50 jumps) may not have done enough handle touches that they can located directly without grabbing the MLW or their jumpsuit by accident. Especially doing 2-handed chops, since the harness moves after cutaway, making the reserve handle harder to located.

My instructor usually tells his students if they can't see the handles, to grab both MLWs at the shoulders and feel your way down to the handles. These students pull high enough so an extra second is not going to be a big deal.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I wonder if Clay has that problem.:ph34r:
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Anyone find it funny how... The BPA will give you an A license, yet you being able to pack isnt a requirment. Yet they wont let you jump a full face helmet until you have a B?

I find it funny that we pay £115 dollarpounds a year to be treated like children... No, wait, I got a bit confused there - actually I really don't find it funny:S

Ah fuck it you've got to laugh haven't you?:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

well, not initially a problem, we soon forget incidents of the past....

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2189177;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread post #52 starts about how full face might have contributed. an interesting read.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

speculation, but still something to think about. I've never worn a full face, i like the wind in my face feeling, its part of the relaxation for me. oh what fun it is when i pop my goggles on top of my helmet and forget them there! .. *why do i feel so much wind in my eyes? ... ohhhhhh*
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720