crotalus01

closing loop question

My D-bag was ripped down the side so I got it sewn up today, meaning I had to unpack my rig. As I was in the process of repacking I did not have a pullup cord. Looked in my trunk (was not at the DZ) and found a length of 1/4" braided nylon that would fit the closing loop. As I proceeded to thread it through the first flap and pull, the closing loop snapped in half.
My pack volume sucks because I suck at packing, but this was a really new closing loop, only 18 packjobs on it. Could it have snapped because I didnt use an actual pullup cord, or does that make a difference?

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

A closing loop should last much longer than 18 jumps if it was made from an appropriate material. Just pulling a container closed with some miscellaneous cord won't break it. But find out why it wore out so fast. And why you didn't notice the pack job before.

Check the pin to make sure that it isn't damaged or rough.

You can damage a loop by pulling any pull up cord out of the loop fast and generating friction. If you've been doing this stop.

Check the gromments on the container to make sure they aren't damaged and rough. If the container is used I'd guess that a gromment may be the issue. And it isn't necessarily obvious that there is a burr or sharp spot on the gromment.

If the d bag ripped during deployment something was going really wrong. Figure that out also.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Too add to what Terry said about the possibility of a burr on the grommet not being obvious, a good trick is to run a Q-tip all over the grommet's surface. If there are any minute burrs, they will catch the fine cotton and snag.
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

I snap closing loops time to time. I prefer to break them on packing.

I prefer not to break them at all--ever. The most casual inspection of these during every pack-job can result in replacement of these before they are worn to the point of danger. IMHO if a loop breaks during packing, it has already been used beyond it's safe wear limit.

Is that so expensive?

You can damage a loop by pulling any pull up cord out of the loop fast and generating friction. If you've been doing this stop.

Going to add: Prior to pulling the pullup cord out of the closing loop; route it under the closing pin to place any friction on the closing pin rather than the closing loop.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I snap closing loops time to time. I prefer to break them on packing.

I prefer not to break them at all--ever. The most casual inspection of these during every pack-job can result in replacement of these before they are worn to the point of danger. IMHO if a loop breaks during packing, it has already been used beyond it's safe wear limit.

Is that so expensive?

Ditto.

Sure, I've broken a closing loop or two in my time, but it always bugs me a bit when I do because in the back of my mind I think that I've been ignoring something I should be paying attention to.

Its really easy to replace a closing loop when it starts to show wear.

There's no reason to push it and keep using a worn one until failure.

...check for battery acid contamination. It will taste quite sour.

And if the taste is like biting into an electric wire and you can't taste anything at all for several weeks, it's still probably battery acid. :S There are better ways to check for it than sucking on everything in your trunk.

Kevin

thanks guys. No battery acid, I think I may have worn it prematurely by pulling the pullup cord out too fast.
As for the D bag, it is just too old to withstand my shitty pack volume being stuffed into it. I am ordering a new one this week.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I have busted one with only 5 jumps on it that was showing no wear. I had the closing loop too tight and was really reefing on that power tool!!! :S:D

I also try to change it every 25 jumps or every month, which ever comes first.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

my closing loop only last me 5 jumps when i was newbie,,,

now it is lasting forever...

i just change them out after 20ish jumps even without sign of fray..

dude, that because you use that tandem line or whatever it is.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

I use the new narrower pullup cord use it same as the wider one and my closing loop only lasted for abut 20 jumps now pull out the pullup cord from the closing loop slowly or just use wider pullup cord.
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

`It doesnt sound like you rotate your pull-up cord to under the pin. If you did there is a gap with little or no friction.Try it or have someone show you how. The "Bloke" at our DZ has a spool of one time "PC" crown line for loops, its flat and finger traps easily. I use gutted 550 lin for pull-up cords and find it faster than the decorated tapes, also for free.