katzurki

15-year-old starting AFF?

I guess when I posted, I was really looking for evidence this has been done before and is not unheard of.

I'll get video.:)

I believe all of Mullins kids were jumping at or before 15...

As stated before - more of a personal decision if you all believe she is ready for it.

g

I can't speak for all of them, but Zack has been jumping since the day after his 11th birthday, I believe. Nice kid.
cavete terrae.

Why not consider tunnel time? Like a lot of people I think of skydiving as two sports--freefalling and canopy piloting. Obviously, your niece could learn a lot in the tunnel before ever taking to the sky. This would clearly lessen the impact of her first freefall and likely help keep her in head in the game when it came to pull time. She could be a great body flier by the time she is 16, and a year more mature, to boot.

Just a thought. I am going to start testing this theory in October when I give my own daughter tunnel time for her 7th birthday.

Do whatever, just tell that guy who shot your niece's video to learn how to stay below the drogue toss and to quit popping up over deploying canopies.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Why are all these people saying 15 is to young? And that "how will she handle a life or death sitituation?"
Don't you people realize that for the most part younger people (to a point, obviously not little kids) often have much better reflexes and learn faster than old folk. Why do you think most of the pros in extreme sports are teenagers? Ok yeah, a lot are older but most of the older ones were already pro by the time they were teenagers. My favirote example is Shawn White....that bastard is amazing at just about everything he trys....just not fair!
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

Edit to add.... I hear kids are better at body positions and listening to their instructors because of their age and their ability to do as told where as adults try to sometimes re-invent the wheel

This was true for my son in the tunnel. 2 minutes and he was up, down, 360s both ways, forward and backward.
Much better than most of us do...me for sure. I got in and turned points with him during his 2nd and 3rd 2-min sessions.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

15 seems a little young to me. She can't legally sign a contract herself, and therefore, in my eyes, shouldn't start doing AFF. There's a lot going on, and there's a lot to do up there to stay safe.

It just seems so young to me. I wouldn't want my 15 year old self jumping out of planes, attached or unattached to someone else. And I was a good 15 yr old..

I'm sure she could do it.. she knows what freefall is like since she's done a tandem, but thinking about it, it just seems so young to start.

To each their own.

I think back to the things I was allowed to do at a very, very, did I say "VERY", young age b/c my parents', at the time, would rather trust me than inconvenience themselves---but they did instill a solid foundation in me and I did turn out to be very trustworthy and mature for my age.

This thread is silly b/c none of us know said niece. I might as well post a pizza thread like Krisanne did that one time (I loved that!:D). What the hell difference does it make to us? Only the original poster and the niece's fam really know & understand the right decision in this case.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I think back to the things I was allowed to do at a very, very, did I say "VERY", young age b/c my parents', at the time, would rather trust me than inconvenience themselves---but they did instill a solid foundation in me and I did turn out to be very trustworty and mature for my age.

Skydiving is a bit different then things kids are often allowed to do. Its not a matter of not trusting kids or parents feeling inconveniced its a matter of this sport is a sport that kills and can kill when everything is done right. Instilling a solid foundation in someone has nothing to do with signing a waiver that states you are putting your child at risk of death for a hobby.

Doesnt make a difference to any of us, if she didnt want remarks about children skydiving she wouldnt have posted.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

It's really not all that different (though I fully respect your viewpoint and actions b/c of it).

A LOT of things can kill.

Money is what matters most to many people (and I'm not saying I agree). But, the bottom line is waiver or not, kids can pretty much find a way to do whatever they want if they have the will.

Yes alot of things they choose to do can kill them. It will not be something I personally and many other parents would sign up for. Its one thing for life to happen , but skydiving isnt life and well nevermind, you can have the last word. Im going to go eat junk food and do homework. This is taking much resistence considering you just compared signing a skydiving waiver for a kid to a kid drinking from their parents liquor cabinet. :P

This is taking much resistence considering you just compared signing a skydiving waiver for a kid to a kid drinking from their parents liquor cabinet.

I made no such comparison (you either misunderstood, or I did not effectively make my point). What you're talking about is a piece of paper; whereas a lot of situations, equally as dangerous, do not require such. And again, it's a piece of paper; which is not the bigger picture.

You are playing defense. But, I'm not playing offense. I don't disagree with your not wishing to ever sign a waiver for you children. :)

And again, it's a piece of paper

You think a waiver to skydive is just a piece of paper? To me a waiver is a promise that I accept to die in this sport and understand my risks and accept them. And as an adult I accept them, on my own. A child cant legally accept that on their own. I am sending a pm for the rest of this as I think it is becoming personal with your accusations of my "stance" and I do not wish to get into that one here. I have never said anyone is wrong to let a minor skydive, but it is wrong for me, and I bet it was wrong for those parents who watched their kid no pull.

As long as you're sure that she really understands and is cool that she can die doing it, I don't see the problem.

Personally I'd probably only let a family member that's grown up or been around DZs awhile already jump at a really young age.

You think a waiver to skydive is just a piece of paper? To me a waiver is a promise that I accept to die in this sport and understand my risks and accept them. And as an adult I accept them, on my own. A child cant legally accept that on their own.

All I said, w/out agreeing or disagreeing with you, is that if it's legal for a parent to sign a waiver and make a decision, then it's up to the parent and not popular/unpopular opinion.

If it where my daughter I think I would want them to wait untill they are as mature as possible before making such a big choice.

I think that skydivers do not Mature as they get older......
http://home.comcast.net/~thefishwrapper

Wow! 15?! how jealous am i? If she shows potential and gets good training, think of where she could be by the time she was 18 or 19? I have never heard of 15 being able to jump!
I think that it is so important she understands the risk. the life making or taking decision.
Good luck!
"The most wasted day of all is that upon which we have not laughed..." Nicholas Chamfort.

I did my first jump (static line rounds) as soon as possible after my 16th birthday (minimum age with parental consent in the UK) and did all my student jumping between the ages of 16 and 17.

I have no doubt that I would have been just as safe doing so at 15 and would have understood the risks equally well.

Sitting in an aircraft contemplating your first jump makes a teenager grow up REALLY fast! ;)

Vicki

"Money is not a problem for her (since it comes out of my pocket"

Not a good lesson to teach her. She needs to know that skydiving is a very expensive sport. I think you need to get her to pay at least half, if not more. By doing this it will show you how motivated she is to learn how to skydive. Where there is a will, there is a way. If she comes up with some money, she really wants to learn.;)

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Yes alot of things they choose to do can kill them. It will not be something I personally and many other parents would sign up for.

How many ignorant or indifferent parents allow their children to ride bicycles, rollerblades,or skate boards with no protection? A concusssion can kill you.
At least, in AFF they do not advance you until they know that you are able to save your own life.

>>Do you know of any girls who started skydiving really young?<<

A team of woman from China came through Perris in the early '90s. There were six or seven of them and the oldest are maybe seventeen. They all started jumping at age 12 and 13 and most of them had more jumps then I did. On the ground they'd sit and giggle like normal and they had a fascination with the make-up the American girls are wearing. But in the sky they were all business and they were mad packers . . .

NickD :)BASE 194