osuskydiver

How many of you are military?

I hope I will be worthy of the men and women under my command....

DAMN boy.. I like your attitude.:)

No shit. I wish I'd had a CO like that. M*****F****** Lt we had one time, came out to watch training...das right WATCH training... We doing a beach run in full gear and this crack pot is drinking a fucking Yoohoo.....
Scars remind us that the past is real

I hope I will be worthy of the men and women under my command....

DAMN boy.. I like your attitude.:)

No shit. I wish I'd had a CO like that. M*****F****** Lt we had one time, came out to watch training...das right WATCH training... We doing a beach run in full gear and this crack pot is drinking a fucking Yoohoo.....

I'm of the Richard Machinko school....there is nothing I will ask you to do that I will not do first. I will lead from the front, not the rear. You give me a 100%, I will give you a 110%, each and every day. I will take care of my people first and foremost. These are the lessons I've tried to pass on to the underclassmen under me.
"Dancing Argentine Tango is like doing calculus with your feet."
-9 toes

I'm a retired NCO now, but here are the Army's Leadership Principles I use to eat, sleep, breathe and shit:

1. Be technically and tactically proficient.

2. Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.

3. Make sound and timely decisions.

4. Set the example.

5. * Know your soldiers and look out for their welfare.

6. Keep your soldiers informed.

7. Develop a sense of responsibility in your subordinates.

8. Ensure that the task is understood, supervised and accomplished.

9. Build the team.

10. Employ your unit in accordance with its capabilities.

* Personal note - there's a fine line between looking out for your men and mission accomplishment. There will be times where mission accomplishment supersedes all.......depending upon the situation both you and your unit are put in. Other than "acceptional", dire circumstances - this is a very important principle.

***Air Force brat. Does that count?

It should -- my dad served 43 years.

I say hell yeah it counts! How many times did you get to move when you were a kid? My dad was in the Army and I moved 24 times before I turned 21. I've served my country! LOL!

I tell my kids the same thing. They served their country. They made more of a sacrifice then myself. They were the ones that had to miss out on their father not being around as well as getting up and moving from fort to fort.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

I actually liked those...of course after survival training, I've learned to eat anything.

I ALWAYS loved helping officers, pilots, navs. and other aircrew overcome their food aversions....if you catch it you can eat it for the most part.

BWAHAHAHA

AF Combat Controller. Fresh out of Ranger School. Free fall school was a rush. Makes civilian jumping seem like it's only for pussies. If ever you get a chance, night jump at 20K with full gear, and you'll see what I mean. Survival school at Fairchild is next and then it's off to Edwards.

US Marine Corps

E-4 on exit

Harrier Mech

Mostly North Carolina, Yuma-Az, USS WASP in Desert Storm

4-years

Cool Memories: Every minute of it; I mean, hell, I was ages 17-21. I can remember every moment of my life during those years.

I was very proud then and still am. The Marine Corps helped me set the standard for the life that I live today.

I actually liked those...of course after survival training, I've learned to eat anything.

I ALWAYS loved helping officers, pilots, navs. and other aircrew overcome their food aversions....if you catch it you can eat it for the most part.

BWAHAHAHA

Weren't you a instructor at fairchild? We heard about that place and said no way how about panama.B|

Made more sense going to panama for survival training in the late 60's. The though of haveing to carry two sleeping bags in the winter told me it stay the hell away from that place.

Plus we heard you all (Fairchild) hurt some guy's real bad during training, and I'm not talking about the POW camp.

The POW camp would be another reason not to go Unless we got to be abused by a lady like you.:P Second thought I'd still prefer panama.

R.I.P.

Branch: U.S. Marine Corps

Job (MOS): 0369 - Infantry SNCO, 7212 - Anti-Aircraft Warfare, 8511 - Drill Instructor

Where: Camp LeJeune, Camp Pendleton, MCAS Cherry Point, Okinawa Japan, LeBannon, Grenada, Gulf War, numerous amphibous assault ships.

how long: 20 years, 3 months (retired Feb 2002)

cool memories: too many to list

anything: no

Semper Fi
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

Sounds like you have seen alot of interesting things in your career, jumping out at 500' is NUTS

Jumping out at 500' because people are shooting at you is smart. But going out knowing once you land and they will still want to shoot at you. Thats man nuts :(

R.I.P.

The POW camp would be another reason not to go

But but but..... I really liked the black uniforms with the little red stars;) It was great stress relief you could get rid of all your uhh frustrations at work. Manhandling privileges rocked.....but you had to demonstrate proficiency on your superiors:)

I kinda liked Panama... warm.. wet...lots of food ( iguana is tasty as were the soursops and guavas) The bugs sucked but as long as you stayed clean and sweat free by taking a swim it was not so bad.. the SCORPIONS on the other hand.. were freakin everywhere.. The big black suckers were cool but those little clear bastards were seriously bad juju.

Most of the sutdents who went thru SV-80 were unscathed.. usually the only injuries were due to poor judgement on their part. The first part of the field training was under instructor supervision to get all the fieldcraft the college and city boys needed to learn but once the E&E started they were on their own and had to use what they were taught. Some did well others did not...it all depends on the motivation I guess. Its the difference between the Scott O' Gradys who are motivated to evade... and others who just dont even try.

Its the difference between the Scott O' Gradys who are motivated to evade... and others who just dont even try.

Of all the people you could of choosen to reference how you could pick him I have no clue. You and I know, unlike the majority of the world who have read the book or heard the accounts, that in the REAL report that he got extremely lucky. The after action debrief reads more like a classical example of "what not to do". He failed to do so many simple things and made so many major mistakes and the kicker is that he had training so he knew what he should of done. My personal opinion is that he had a horse shoe stuck up his ass because by all accounts he shouldn't of made it out.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Scott the point is he did not just give up trying...even if he did try hard several times to screw it up..he did NOT want to get caught. I only picked him because most people can recognize the name I should have picked any number of guys who did far more to help themselves in the South East Asian War Games, but there were more than one in that era who just friggin gave up without trying.

I worked with the 1 Kings Regiment in Kuwait back in 1997, good group of guys. Their chain of command didn't care to much for me taking their enlisted in to the Kuwaiti's officer mess. "Screw them if they can't take a joke."

You'd have thought that the 'Kingos' could take a joke - joining a Regiment from Liverpool!!:P I hope you didnt get all your kit stolen!! (British joke!)B|

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

* Personal note - there's a fine line between looking out for your men and mission accomplishment. There will be times where mission accomplishment supersedes all.......depending upon the situation both you and your unit are put in. Other than "acceptional", dire circumstances - this is a very important principle.

Task, team and individual. Its a balance! Takes experience to learn that one.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

AF Combat Controller

dude... i lived in the dorms u guys lived in on hurlburt. well atleast the dorms the cct dudes did in 2002... lived on the 3rd floor on the side closest to the chow hall..... was in school on the otherside of the dorms..