Scoop

Polycotton Vs Supplex Vs Nylon Tatteta etc

I know I probably should know but what are the suit manufacturers referring to when they speak of these materials? I'm guessing that one type is a ZP type material for bulkier jumpers like me to help with 'lift'.

Which materials would better suit a heavier jumper like me (220lbs) if I was looking at both RW & an FF suit. I should have asked when I was in the shop yesterday but I didn't notice the options until I'm looking at the form now [:/]

I understand by design my suits will be abit more of a looser cut but how much will the material effect the fallrate?

Thanks

My RW tony suit is all supplex aside from the booties. I am very happy with it.

I am not as big as you but I am short and pretty dense, 180 5'6 so I fall fast. I wanted a tight suit but if it was tight an nylon with spandex sleaves I would spend all day dearched.

With the slower fabric, looser sleaves, and huge inflatable booties I have awesome range compared to when I was stuck flying borrowed DZ suits!!!

My FF suit is actually an old 80's RW tony suit, it is made of poly cotton as is pretty baggy.

Either way just call the suit maker and tell them your weight and hieght. I let them decide what was the best combo for me! I am very happy with what Tonysuits made for me!!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

it is a bit different for a heavier muscular person than most others if you are trying to slow down your fall rate. most jumpers are well below 180lbs so there really isn't very much accurate information available. even lisa briggs article on dz.com. i am 220lbs as well and it took some time and many jumpsuits to find what works.
what you want is a heavier or more stiff material on the outside. 4ply seems to be the best and it looks as good as supplex. heavy cotton or cordura would be slower but not very comfortable at all. i found that having the legs and arms lined with zero p helps alot as well. not only is it an extra layer but since the fabric is zero p the bernoulli effect is reallized. because of the airflow over the suit it creates a pressure differential and actually inflates a bit. not like a balloon but enough to make a noticable difference.
also, because the zero p can be hot against your skin another inner lining is nice as well. this can be a lighter material like supplex or polycotton. the extra layer also lends a hand in slowing your fall rate as well.
it should not fit like a skinny guys freefly suit. you need to have a bit of extra material especially in the arms and legs. i've been through 10 jumpsuits and found that this cofiguration slows my sit fly down to a reasonable rate that most people can keep up. if you are belly flying a bit of 'wing' or 'deep arms' are going to go along way to keep from going low as well. just remember you are heavier than a 'heavy' jumper for all practical purposes so keep it heavy AND layered.
i hope this helps. i speak from experience and research. and being an engineer doesn't hurt either.

I weigh anywhere from 215-225 usually and so I know the feeling of sinking out all the time. I called sherry at Firefly suits she built me a suit and I love it. Very reasonable on price. Mine cost $265 and that is with the shipping and tax. She knew the exact cut I needed just by hearing me tell her my weight and build and how I fly. She is really on it.
don't try your bullshit with me!!!

I've got a Majik suit from Bev Suits, and like you, I'm around 210 or so. I went with polycotton front (with coolmax lining) and sleeves, pleated cordura booties and a full set of grips.

Overall, I've been pretty satisfied with it, but it's not QUITE getting me to where I want to be. It *did* take me from the 125-130 range to 120-125, so there WAS an improvement - just want a tidge more. I'm going to be sending it back to make the top a bit looser.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Contact BevSuits. She has what she calls the afterburner bootie. It has channels that catch the air to help slow you down even more. They also really kick you into high gear when it comes time to track at breakoff. Also get the big grippers. They add more surface area to catch some air. And the cool max type liner is a must for polycotton suits or ZP lined suits. Those buggers can get hot.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

You're right. Of the correspondence I have so far, Sherry is the one that inspires the most confidence and seems to be very quick in replying to my enquiries. I think we have a winner. I'll get my my design figured out today and hopefully submit them to her B|

Thanks people!

I believe it will be a Supplex suit lined with a 'heavy' material so its not really baggy but should still disrupt the air enough to slow my fallrate down and still look good at the same time B|

I have made quite a few suits suitable for your body type.
I would recommend a heavier lined suit

She didn't state a specific material but I'm going to go with them based on the postive reviews I've received/found and experience they seem to have with jumpers of similar body weight