tdog

If Microsoft made parachutes....

All I can say is, after troubleshooting a needle in the haystack all day....

Hint to SQL admins... Data Access Components 2.6 no longer supports IP addresses in the connection string - you must use the DNS name of the server... 12 hours wasted over a 10 second fix.

To all non SQL folk... This thread could get funny.... Finish:

I'd buy apple

So it would look like a really expensive paper weight and crash (you) whenever you did something other than what it wanted to do?

but all the cool attachments would look cool in my dorm room. which is where I'll be since iParachute would be a wrothless product that was rushed on th emarket before the egg was ready to hatch.

I think you have Apple and M$ confused.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'd buy apple

Of course you realize the Apple iParachute would have just one handle instead of three. ;)

Ya, and the magnetic power cord, I mean, three rings, would disconnect whenever you tripped on the cable...

You are close but not quite correct. The 3-ring system would have a magnetic latch which would release in the event the opening shock hit a level which would injure the jumper. (See the current thread about the guy who got spinal fractures from a hard opening.)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Good god, how old is that video? He was comparing a Mac to DOS!

Anyone who claims Mac OS X crashes, just doesn't know what they are talking about. I am typing this on an iBook in my den. I have had it three years and it doesn't crash. Period.

I won't defend Mac OS's prior to 10. I worked on a Mac at a co-op job in college in the late '80's, and it was as flaky and crash-prone as the M$ products.

Guest 1010

Hint to SQL admins... Data Access Components 2.6 no longer supports IP addresses in the connection string -

LOL I know a place that'll find that out if they haven't already ...

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.

Good to know! Why do they take features away like that??

Take away... No, that would be simple, the error message would have come across my screen: "Unable to connect to server X.X.X.X because MDAC no longer supports IP addresses." That would have been simple....

No, it just slows down to the point it was taking 21 seconds to authenticate using trusted (windows) authentication, which timed out the application until I recompiled it with a longer timeout and a trace to see what was going on, whereas using (the lessor security plane text password) SQL authentication, it was instant authentication.

Of course, when it appeared to be an authentication issue I started troubleshooting the domain Global Catalogs and Domain Controllers - as I did have a server run out of hard drive space earlier in the week and I thought Active Directory could have been corrupt since the server hard crashed.

Here is the MS post I found that saved the day:

When Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version 2.6 is installed, each attempt to connect to a SQL Server 7.0 or SQL Server 2000 database using an IP address (rather than the server name) may take longer than anticipated. "In certain reported cases, a "Timeout expired" error is reported to the client application and the connection attempt fails.

Be aware that if you are using a server alias which maps to a TCP/IP address, this problem can still occur.

This problem does not occur with MDAC 2.5 or 2.1 installed.

Cutaways would involve you simultaneously pulling handles on your left foot, right arm and left shoulder.

And when you could not "control alt delete" your main, you would have to unplug it with a hook knive so the reserve could reboot.

...12 hours wasted over a 10 second fix.
Finish:

-Riggers would take 12 hrs to repack.
-Main activation would take 4 minutes.
-Cutaways would be a way life.
-There would be a lot less skydivers living.
-Survivors would be flying Linux and MacOSX.
-Parachutes would last 1 year and then be obsolete.
-Linux and MacOSX would have a large market share.
-Bill Gates would be poor and destitute.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239