clairesobba

skyhook- baglock situation

hypothesis- in case of a bag lock with a fully inflated drouge or a pilot chute, where chances are that the skydiver or a tandem pair would stay in belly to earth position ( which happened to me on my 2 bag locks), since theres no guide ring on the top reserve flap for the RSL lanyard, after a cutaway, and under a condition that risers clear their cover, pin would be pulled at 90 degree angle. What would be the affect on the pin: braking, bending .....?

after a cutaway, and under a condition that risers clear their cover, pin would be pulled at 90 degree angle. What would be the affect on the pin: braking, bending .....?

Why would risers do anything with the main pin, if even the force by the PC/drouge could not remove it?

I think pin, d-bag would stay were it was and PC/drouge would be trailing after the jumper under reserve.

Does this mean that Sun Path and Aerodyne will be fitting curved reserve pins to their Skyhook-equipped containers also?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

The V3/Sigma reserve pin is not really curved. The functional part of the pin (the blade) is straight. The upper portion of the pin curves slightly as it moves toward the ring portion where the RSL lanyard is attached. There's a good picture of it on page 35 of the manual here:

http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/PDF/Support/Manual/09354(V3_Manual).pdf
Arrive Safely

John

Does this mean that Sun Path and Aerodyne will be fitting curved reserve pins to their Skyhook-equipped containers also?

I've heard rumors that Sun Path is going to a curved reserve pin... I don't know if that's in conjunction with a skyhook on their rigs or not... I've also heard that on their rigs built with out a skyhook (i.e. you order a rig from sunpath, but opt out of the skyhook option) they're goint to go to a RSL set-up like RWS / UPT, where the reserve pin is on the end of the RSL and the reserve handle/cable is just a pin puller.

hypothesis- in case of a bag lock with a fully inflated drouge or a pilot chute, where chances are that the skydiver or a tandem pair would stay in belly to earth position ( which happened to me on my 2 bag locks), since theres no guide ring on the top reserve flap for the RSL lanyard, after a cutaway, and under a condition that risers clear their cover, pin would be pulled at 90 degree angle. What would be the affect on the pin: braking, bending .....?

check out the Skyhook video and you will see that there are no problems with it in a bag lock situation.

This scenario has been tested again and again, both on the ground and in the air, and the system works fine. All rigs with the Skyhook will use the same RSL/Collins' Lanyard system as Relative Workshop/UPT, with the same pin. If you want to worry about something hanging up in a bag lock situation, worry about your riser covers. Very often, a bag lock will not open tuck tab riser covers. You will have to do it yourself, either before (recommended) or after you pull your cutaway handle.

Here are some general numbers which may interest you: There are over 5,000 Skyhook equipped rigs out there. If we assume an average of just 200 jumps per rig, then over one million jumps have been made on Skyhook equipped rigs. If we use USPA's estimate of one malfunction for every 601 jumps (I think I remember that number correctly.), that means that there have been 1663 reserve uses of all types on Skyhook rigs. Add to that over 150 filmed test jumps done by Relative Workshop and Sun Path, and over 350 Skyhook demos done at DZ around the world, and you get a grand total of 2,160 actual Skyhook uses. At this point even I, one of worlds greatest skeptics and worriers, am beginning to believe that the Skyhook is a pretty damn good piece of equipment.

[If you want to worry about something hanging up in a bag lock situation, worry about your riser covers.

If only we had something to hold them just right, like a magnet or something...;)