SARLDO

protec and audible's

Question: I wear a protec helmet and want to buy an audible altimeter. How do I mount one and which brand will provide accuracy, should I have a "momentary lapse of situational awareness?"
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I have an old school cheapo Time out that I used to have mounted in a protec. I believe I used Velcro and zip ties to keep it in place, and then I just worked some foam of some sort around it for comfort. Just get creative with it.

Bev Suits makes what is called a winter liner for the protec.You can slip whatever audible inside the pocket of the ear part.Works great and can be used all year long.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

I have a Protrack clipped into its mount and attached to the outside ear section of my Protec with some zipties. I did have to drill some holes so the ties would line up better and sit smoother against the helmet, but its a Protec so drilling holes in it is no big deal. I have been a little worried that the Protrack will come out if its clip in freefall for some reason, but nothing like that has happened to me yet.

I have a Protrack clipped into its mount and attached to the outside ear section of my Protec with some zipties. I did have to drill some holes so the ties would line up better and sit smoother against the helmet, but its a Protec so drilling holes in it is no big deal. I have been a little worried that the Protrack will come out if its clip in freefall for some reason, but nothing like that has happened to me yet.

There is good reason to be worried about it coming off the clip, it has happened to many people. My ProTrack fit very well inside the ear opening, the particular liner I had fit the unit nice and snug, with no need to secure it further, and there was no interference with my ear.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

There is good reason to be worried about it coming off the clip, it has happened to many people.

For the Protrack mount zip tied to the outside of my Protec, I hand sewed a narrow piece of webbing around the clip and Protrack, vertically around both of them, and through the helmet (used one existing ear hole and cut a slot too). It was a bit fiddly to get it snug enough. It's not an ideal solution but seems to work.

To view or remove the protrack I can push the 3/8" wide webbing off to the side. It is stiff but there's just enough slack to force it away.

In use, the webbing is still snug on the protrack, tends to keep the clip tight, and provides a little protection to the face of the protrack in case the helmet is dropped or whatever.

Was gonna say, all you need is one single solitary (free) bungee.

As for which one to buy, the cheapestone that is modern and works. That means either a used ProDytter or a new Solo. Unless you are willing to trade more money for extra (mostly useless) functionality.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

i just use a bungee, works fine, and i its not going to come off. ive got a solo, relatively cheap option and does exactly what i want it to, ive got a log book to log jumps in so i dont need a computer to do it for me, and if i want freefall time/speed i just press the button on my vigil

i use a protec and protrack, i simply slot the protrack in the ear hole and its stays there. the size of the foam holds it in place even if i throw my helmet in the air. its isnt amazingly comfortable as it presses against my ear but its cheap safe and not going anywhere. :)

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

I also use a protrack and protec. I made a little cloth bag to stick the protrack in, there's velcro sewn to it, and the oppsoing velcro in both ear holes so I can use either one. My helmet is covered in fur, so no problem hearing it, though I also didn't have any problems hearing it before it was fuzzified.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I have a ProTrack outside my ProTec, similar to what carduso described. For a ProTrack, simply position the mounting bracket where you want it (check by looking from the inside of the helmet, too) & drill a few small holes where needed. Attach bracket with zip ties. After the ProTrack is in its clip, I cut about 10 inches of vinyl electrical tape in half, lengthwise, and wrap one of the pieces around the perimeter of the ProTrack and its clip, so I know it'll stay in place. Don't use duct tape, which always leaves a residue.

Thanks all! I read some good suggestions here and as I thought, a little ingenuity and common sense should do the trick.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I stick my Neptune in the ear hole with nothing holding it in there except my ear and head. I was having trouble hearing it, especially when freeflying, so I duck taped all the holes in the helmet. I also taped a little bit of extra stuffing in the ear hole to put the Neptune closer to my ear. I also always align it so the speaker hole is right up against my ear. I still try to take a look at my visual altimeter when I'm getting lowB|. I lost a pro-dytter when my girlfriend with her small head borrowed my helmet for a jump.

I also use a protrack and protec. I made a little cloth bag to stick the protrack in, there's velcro sewn to it, and the oppsoing velcro in both ear holes so I can use either one. My helmet is covered in fur, so no problem hearing it, though I also didn't have any problems hearing it before it was fuzzified.

I dub thee "Pelt Protrack #1" :P

That's a pretty good idea, though...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I zip-tied the pro-trac to the inside of my protec without any problems and can hear it fine. Insert zip-ties in holes of pro-trac holder with the free ends facing the back of the holder - ie the pro-trac can be inserted and removed from the holder without the zip ties interfering. insert pro-trac in holder. insert prorac &holder in inside of earhole of protec so zip tie ends stick out of outside of either ear hole, zip tie protec and cut off excess, place cool sticker over earhole so no one can tell. i used the provided rubber bands to secure pro-trac to pro-trac holder after inserting zip ties and can turn on and off the protrack easily while it is secured in the helmet.