Twoply

Wine compared to beer?

I've found Yellow Tail to be consistently good no matter what the variety...especially for an inexpensive wine. My current fav red is pinot noir, and Beringer's Founders Estate has been pretty good, yet not too expensive.

I haven't learned enough about good wines to spend a lot of money on a bottle. I'm afraid of shelling out the $$ and then not liking it.;)

I've found Yellow Tail to be consistently good no matter what the variety...especially for an inexpensive wine. My current fav red is pinot noir, and Beringer's Founders Estate has been pretty good, yet not too expensive.

I haven't learned enough about good wines to spend a lot of money on a bottle. I'm afraid of shelling out the $$ and then not liking it.;)

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm no wine snob but I do like to experiment with reds, and I've found the cheap ones are quite often better than the expensive ones.

I, too, don't like to shell out bucks for crap wine. We did that once and we picked up a $50 bottle of wine for dinner. We tossed it and kept the $10 bottles instead. It was CRAP! Maybe it was bad to begin with. Who knows.

Cost doesn't always mean you're getting the best.

'Shell
'Shell

Did you get Yellow Tail?? Can't miss it. Has a yellow kangaroo on the label.

Yep, we have that here and I like it but only once in a while. The only thing I've found I don't like about it is that it's a bit too oaky for me. I've found that with a lot Australian wines.

I like a bit of oak flavour but I've found that of the ones I've tried from Australia, they're too oaky for me.

'Shell
'Shell

Without a doubt.:o

But what kind of wine would you bring???

Or beer??

;);)

'Shell

Why should I bring anything other than myself??:S

'cause you're replying to a thread about wine and beer. Try and keep to the topic, my dear ...

That and if you show up empty handed, you're gonna be cold and without a place to stay.

;):P

'Shell
'Shell

I agree with both of you. My wife wouldn't let me spend big bucks for wine. I don't know alot about wines other than what I like in taste. In reds I can only handle semi-dry. I tried a very dry red that was worse than eating a green persimon. :o

And I prefer a dry, light red. And I've found some of the best ones (that don't make your cheeks suck in) are cheap cheap cheap.

Strange.

I'm actually going to start making my own wine again this year. Made some last year, for my dad, it was a Zin, but I want to make a big ol' batch of red for me.

Wish me luck! Talk about cheap!!!

;);)

'Shell
'Shell

Let me know how it goes. I would like to make my own also. Well it's off to bed for me. Later. :)

Will do. Might be 30 days before you hear from me but I'll try and keep you posted.

I've made it before and it's a process! But my uncle makes it all the time and his wine is GOOD!!!

I'll let you know how mine turns out. I was planning on getting it going in the next week or so.

Nite nite!

'Shell
'Shell

I just talked to some wine experts at a wine festival this past weekend about the very topic. There are wines without sulfites, they just have a very short shelf-life. French wines in general do have sulfites, they just aren't required to state it on the label like American's are.

According to the expert I talked to (who was doing a myth-buster presentation about wines), people who believe they get hungover from sulfites are generally getting sick from the tannins, not the sulfites.

He could be wrong though. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic. Just reiterating what I was told last week.

Yep, I think he told you wrong. Vskydiver has a documented allergy to sulfites and sulfa drugs, with lupus flares, not hangovers, as the result. In Europe, no problems. In the U.S., no problems with organic, sulfite free wines, such as Badger Mountain. Even the sulfites in Twinkies cause problems. That's definitely not a hangover.

Traditionally, many fine old vintages were put out in France and other European countries for centuries without artificial preservatives or stabilizers, the alcohol content counted upon to do all the preserving necessary. I've heard that poor vintages, with low alcohol contents (below 10-11 % alcohol) have the short shelf lives you mention.

I feel Americans tolerate way too many chemicals in their food. [:/]

Would Tequila wine be like Sangria? Instead of fruit, use Teguila...

=============================
Stolen from the THE BEST OF TELETIMES

"At the Chicago World's Fair of 1893 an award was given to a "mezcal brandy" made in the town of Tequila, and in 1910 at a fair in San Antonio an award was given WQ, to a "Tequila Wine". Since then, the word "Tequila" has been sufficient, although most labels still contain some reference to the agave and mezcal."
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Is it made in Ireland? No? It's not an Irish beer.

Heineken made in the Australia is not a Dutch beer. Budweiser made in the UK is not an American beer. Guinness made in Nigeria isn't Irish.

Fosters made ANYWHERE isnt BEER:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Do not try to mix them up -- beer and wine together is a very bad thing...

Why? I have also heard "Wine and Beer, Never Fear."

or by "mix them up" did you mean literally mixing them in the same cup?:S or what?

Many times I have drunk wine and beer in the same evening. I've never had problems with it, unless I drank too much of course.;) (as a matter of fact, I'm doing that tonight! :D[wine]B|

Oh God, NO! Of course I wasn't talking about actaully mixing wine and beer in the same glass! :S There is, however, a mix that is very well known to Russians -- a beer and vodka, approx. half and half. As they say: "Beer without vodka is a wasted money!" ;) Ask any Russian guy about "yorsh" (that's how it's called), they'll know right away what you are talking about. But I digress...

Dunno, in my experiense drinking wine and beer in the same evening is not a good idea... A little beer, and then wine is OK, but not the other way around, and not in large quantities. It has really nothing to do with getting more drunk, or hung over -- it's that funny aftertaste, and my stomach doesn't like it either... :S But it may very well be just personal... :P
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

No, sorry. We went to vinyards and talked with the wine makers and they don't add sulfites to the wine over there. Plus if I drank the wine and it did have sulfites in it, I would swell up. So it's not my imagination. They don't add preservatives to their wine.

I just talked to some wine experts at a wine festival this past weekend about the very topic. There are wines without sulfites, they just have a very short shelf-life. French wines in general do have sulfites, they just aren't required to state it on the label like American's are.

According to the expert I talked to (who was doing a myth-buster presentation about wines), people who believe they get hungover from sulfites are generally getting sick from the tannins, not the sulfites.

He could be wrong though. I don't claim to be an expert on the topic. Just reiterating what I was told last week.

While sulfites are sometimes (usually) added at any number of points during the winemaking process (they are used as a preservative and to prevent excessive oxidation) they also occur naturally in the wine as the result of the fermentation process. So while the French winemaker who stated that they didn't ADD any sulfites might not be fibbing, it doesn't mean that his wine doesn't contain naturally occurring sulfites.

If you think that the sulfites found in wine give you headaches or cause you to break out in hives, etc., then you can try a little experiment. Buy a bag of dried apricots and eat about 2 ounces worth. You will be consuming about the same amount of sulfites as drinking an entire bottle of wine. If you don't suffer any adverse reaction, then it ain't the sulfites in your wine that are causing you grief.

Sulfites ARE a serious problem for a very small percentage of people whose bodies lack sufficient quantities of a certain enzyme required to break it down. That's why the US government requires the label.

I guess it all comes down to personal taste because I drink wine daily, go to wine tastings weekly and keep atleast thirty bottles in my wine chiller at home. I like bold reds, tolerate mellow reds and can't stand fruity reds. I recently was at a Benigans, ordered a yellow tail Shiraz and regretted it. When I get a good red bold,in which can taste the oak, I enjoy every last sip. But usually if its atleast red, its ok. This yellow tail Shiraz, I had to force myself to finish it.
With beer I have gotten to the point that I don't even want it for free. Its not that it tastes terrible. I actually like dark beers like Guinness, Koestrizer, Eibauer or Erdinger dunkel. Guinness unfortunately is the only one from that list that can be easily purchased in the U.S.
Still as a whole beer sucks. In order to catch a buzz you need to load up with a lot more calories. Then you find yourself running to the bathroom. And the carbonation has its effects as well. If I want to be having farting contests, I would rather it be because I ate some good fiber. Not because I just took in useless calories that are unnecessarily padding my abs and making me run to the take a leak.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

ah...not true...so some electrical components come from various places around the planet, like the Canadian Chevy - it is only assembled in Canada.
Harleys ARE in fact assembled (manufactured) in the good old USofA. The MAJORITY of the bike is actually made in the states as well: frames, sheetmetal, wheels, and engines and transmissions are MADE (steel is poured and formed, machined, and then assembled) in Wawatousa, WI and York, PA, and Kansas City, MO, and Milwaukee WI.
Yes we get stuck with some electrical components from Mexico, fasteners from somewhere else, and some aftermarket parts from the Far East...but they ARE american made bikes....by Americans, in America....like a lot of today's Toyotas and Hondas for that matter!:P

Harley's were also made in China after WWII, in an old factory that made "Road King" model motorcycles. Under license from HD, like the various beers brewed all over the place these days.

Buy a bag of dried apricots and eat about 2 ounces worth. You will be consuming about the same amount of sulfites as drinking an entire bottle of wine.

American wine or French wine? (sulfites added or natural sufites only?)

Well, any wine labeled as "contains sulfites" in the US has at least 10 ppm of sulfites. This is generally the level that occurs due to natural fermentation, so even wines with no sulfites added during production will probably be labeled as containing sulfites. You can visit your favorite wine shop and try to find a French wine that DOESN'T have the label, but it will be a long search.

And contrary to popular belief, most wine made in France has had some sulfites added during production. It is extremely difficult to produce a consistent, good tasting wine without it. Most winemakers, however, strive to use the smallest amount possible.

US law allows wine (regardless of country of origin) to contain up to 350 ppm. (Very few wines contain sulfite levels this high - the average is around 80-90 ppm.) Organic wine producers are most sensitive to the addition of sulfites as the upper limit for organic wine is 100 ppm. However even most of them add sulfites during production.

One US importer of organic wines has compiled a list of the sulfite levels of some of their imported wines:
http://www.chartrandimports.com/levels.html

You will note that quite a few of the French imports have considerably higher than "naturally occuring" sulfite levels - which obviously means that even French organic wine producers add sulfites. (Interestingly enough, the lowest sulfite levels on the list are US wines.) So it is pretty safe to assume that most non-organic French wines also have sulfites added.

In the US, dried fruit can contain up to 2000 ppm of sulfites, or about 20 times the average concentration found in a bottle of wine. So, the couple of ounces of dried apricots mentioned above will give you about the same sulfite dose as an "average" 750mL bottle of wine - either French or American - take your pick.

If you think that the sulfites found in wine give you headaches or cause you to break out in hives, etc., then you can try a little experiment. Buy a bag of dried apricots and eat about 2 ounces worth. You will be consuming about the same amount of sulfites as drinking an entire bottle of wine. If you don't suffer any adverse reaction, then it ain't the sulfites in your wine that are causing you grief.

Sulfites ARE a serious problem for a very small percentage of people whose bodies lack sufficient quantities of a certain enzyme required to break it down. That's why the US government requires the label.

Well, I'm that small percentage then. I can't eat very many dried fruits because of that. I have to check labels all the time. Same with some sauces and a lot of oriental foods ect. Sulfites are everywhere and if I consume even a small amount from anything I can tell right away. It's the sulfites!

I don't have a problem with the naturally occurring sulfites in wine. Just the added artificial ones. I can drink organic wine or wines in Europe where they don't add that crap just fine.

I don't think it's a lack of an enzyme or anything like that. It's an immune deficiency, like an allergy. My body has built up an immunity to them.