karenmeal

WALT!!!

I think you put it in your bathtub and take a picture of its turds.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

They do like grapes. I have rolled some across the deck to my local raccoons, and they scoop them up. They also go "fishing" along the edge of my swimming pool with their forepaws, but they aren't going to catch anything in there -- it's a bit dirty, but not that bad!

They will find a place to wash it :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'm sitting here checking out the forums and a racoon just started watching me through my window in our computer room!

What do I do now?

If you start putting out cat food for them every night, you'll get them coming around regularly. I fill a small bucket with cheap, generic dry cat food and shake the bucket when I get to the feeding area. The noise acts as a dinner bell.

After shaking the bucket, put the food on the ground and go back inside. Start with a small amount of food (2 cups or so) and check every morning to see if any is left. When you see no food left in the morning, start increasing the amount.

Eventually, when you shake the bucket of food, you'll get some raccoons coming right away so they can be first to the food. You'll be able to watch them from a few feet away as long as you don't make any sudden movements or noise.

When you really get comfortable with them you can feed them some occasional grapes as a treat. Grapes are like candy to most raccoons and I often feed grapes to the raccoons by hand. I don't recommend that, but it is kind of cool.

Sometimes I take a chair and, while sitting in it, coax a raccoon to climb up on my legs and take grapes from me by hand. I'll get a picture of that sometime and post it.

Walt

Id say just observe from a distence. Its a wild animal. Its awesome what the coons let Walt get away with and he has a relationship with them but that doesnt mean everyone should mess with wild animals and expect the same response. Racoons are not the nicest animals and can carry disease's that you wouldnt want. One of the worst things people do is take the fear of humans from animals. Walt show her the melissa video.... that made me never want to mess with a racoon. :|
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Id say just observe from a distence. Its a wild animal. Its awesome what the coons let Walt get away with and he has a relationship with them but that doesnt mean everyone should mess with wild animals and expect the same response. Racoons are not the nicest animals and can carry disease's that you wouldnt want. One of the worst things people do is take the fear of humans from animals. Walt show her the melissa video.... that made me never want to mess with a racoon. :|

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. Developing trust with a wild animal takes time and you must always be aware that you *are* dealing with wild animals, not pets. Like pets, though, wild animals have their own personalities and you need to get familiar with them as individuals if you are going to get physically close to them.

Raccoons are dangerous animals and many have very nasty dispositions. They are also quite skittish. That being said, though, they are smart and incredibly cute. I am in close proximity (within inches or even closer) with raccoons on a daily basis and think they are some of the coolest animals around.

If you do choose to develop a relationship with raccoons, take it slow. They like an easy meal so they'll be around. You've got plenty of time so don't rush. Keep your pets away from them and don't try to pet them. If you want to get physically close to them, start by getting about 8 to 10 feet away and gradually work your way closer. Watch them carefully and don't get past their comfort level.

When you and the raccoons are comfortable with each other, you can get them to come really close if you have some grapes. Let them come to you, though.

And be sure and post pics!!!!

Walt

PLEASE !!!!! :o it's African Americans these days.....

Most brits seemed to have developed the ability to resist EVERY purile thought from being posted, speak to some of you contury men and try to find a mature fibre in there somwhere:S:S
Either that or get partental supervision before using the computer
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Most brits seemed to have developed the ability to resist EVERY purile thought from being posted, speak to some of you contury men and try to find a mature fibre in there somwhere:S:S

just because we're going to kick your arses at cricket again...don't get sore with me :D

just because we're going to kick your arses at cricket again...don't get sore with me :D

i could not give a flying toss about cricket so have at it.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

just because we're going to kick your arses at cricket again...don't get sore with me

Cricket? Is that a real game? I always thought it was equal to american putt putt but without the windmills

it's a real game played by english gentlemen on a lovely sunday summers afternoon, with cream tea and scones

tally ho !!!!