skysohigh77

Packing

A tourist was visiting NYC and was lost. He saw a street musician and asked him "Hey pal, how do I get to Carnegie Hall?" The street musician responded, "practice buddy, practice!"

Same with the packing. Practice.

Good luck!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Pointer #1 - Get live training. Reading books or watching video will help but is no substitute for hands on, supervised instruction. Period.

Video and text links in this thread in Gear and Rigging

For a 288 Manta, long arms and a stool to stand on might be of help.;)

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

For a 288 Manta, long arms and a stool to stand on might be of help.;)

If you dont want to pro pack- try a flat pack- Mantas are very easy to flat pack. here is a guide
http://www.qubsc.com/v4/images/info/documents/doc_flatpacking.pdf however this is not a substitute for hands on learning :)
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

lmao what do you expect? You are asking for advice on the INTERNET on how to pack!! WTF!?! Did you ask how to parallel park on some driving forum? No one is trying to be a dick but you are not asking a question that can easily be answered online.

But for what its worth, here is my response; pay a packer if you need to ask for help online how to pack your own main. ;)

either that or find a rigger you REALLY trust :S; it worked for me!

"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Bury the nose, roll the hell out of the tail

I've packed a lot of them and have never rolled the nose, some people swear by it (rolling the nose) but I've never had the need to and have never had a complaint on the openings

No one is trying to be a dick but

doing a good job anyways.

To the OP, I recommend the flat pack as well.
It's a lot more orderly when you are just learning than the pro-pack.
Like you, I wasn't born knowing how to pack either, but what works very well in order to catch up to the others is dedicating some rainy sunday afternoons to packng. An experienced skydiver could help you and probably will if you give them enough beer afterwards. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Seriously folks?

Ok, its packing. You can't really learn that over the interwebs. Get PD's packing video, which is a good first step. I even think its uploaded to Skydivingmovies. There is, however, no substitute for someone teaching *in person* how to pack. It should be apart of your student training at your DZ. After that, there are no tricks, there are no secrets, its practice. Lots of practice. The answer really is that simple.

People sure get their panties in a wad when they don't get the magic fix it answer they want and get an answer that is true.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Sigh!!! I surched for it and could not find it ......but yeah I'ma noob to the sport just asking for help.[:/]

And there's nothing wrong with asking for help. Part of what I like about this site is seeing questions that I hadn't even thought to ask. Another is seeing where my answers are either incomplete or incorrect (really!). I want to know the correct answer, even if it means admitting I was wrong in the first place. I just gets a little annoying to see the same question asked over and over (and over and over) when it's been dealt with quite thoroughly before. That's why I just linked you to the other thread instead of writing out a long, detailed reply.

Just don't be surprised when you hear "We can't tell you how to do that over the internet". Most of what you need to learn in this sport is "hands on".

Skydivers are incurable smart asses. Most of my replies include both a serious part and a smart ass part.

And searches are your friend. You say you searched, but where and how much?
There's loads of packing videos on YouTube and Skydivingmovies.com.

The thread I linked in my first reply to you was less than 12 hours old. It was still well up on the first page of G&R when I linked it. Did you look there at all? I understand that you are thinking of this as "training", but it involves gear too.

Keep learning, keep asking questions, and work a little on your search skills;)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

People sure get their panties in a wad when they don't get the magic fix it answer they want and get an answer that is true.

Yeah, don't you realize that you're employed to answer these noobies question right now without delay - and none of that skydiver wisecrack stuff ! And don't keep telling tham about the surch function. That's too hard. They can surch and surch, and they have to look at a lot of stuff that they weren't surching for. Noobies' time is valuable. They're paying good money for instruction - Oh wait, that's their instructors they're paying.

I guess you get what you pay for. When you ask for free advise on the internet, especially from jumpers, you may not get the best customer service.

Kevin K.

Manta is just a big 9 cell parachute. Nothing special. It may or may not be partial ZP. Don't remember if they made a total ZP version. While you might find canopy specific information for some of the newer ones a Manta doesn't require it.

You biggest issue may be if it's a ragged out ex student canopy.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

When I was taught to pack we used a ceiling hook while learning like many places do w/ tandem rigs. Works real good with large canopies, just hang a hook from whatever you find, packing shed ceiling, etc. Fairly easy transition later to regular propack over the shoulder deal.

Manta is just a big 9 cell parachute. Nothing special.

But 288 suggests pretty long lines. For myself at 6' even, going from 230s to 210s made a huge improvement in the ease of pro packing. I think I'd want a hanging hook for a 288.

Most people want to downsize to go faster - I just want an easier packing canopy. Here's hoping ZPX helps - got one coming in the next week or so.

Manta is just a big 9 cell parachute. Don't remember if they made a total ZP version.

They do! And I got me one. Packing it when it was new and the humidity was low was "special". It has the same performance characteristics and the same style flare, so it would make a nice student canopy that doesn't wear out so fast. The nose has been adjusted for medium to slow openings.

New to the sport....any pointers on packing a Manta 288? In a Dolp.?

Find a skydiver girlfriend who will pack for you and only expect sexual favors in return. :P:P:P

I got a basic understanding from the "Pack Like A Pro" video, but actually doing it was another story for me.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I'm tall 6'2" so pro is what I'm trying to do......Just love the smart asses on here when a newbie is looking for advise! Thanks for all for the help for a newb.

wasnt a smart ass answer- i pack at my DZ every week there is student jumping and they are all Mantas and flat packing is how I do it- its how i learnt- the only thing i pro pack is my own canopy- the rest i flat pack. B| its a lot easier as well cos the 288s lines are long- too long for me to put over my shoulders- i only know of 2 guys how can comfortabley do it at my DZ and they are really tall
Dudeist Skydiver #170
You do not need a parachute to skydive, you only need one to skydive again

New to the sport....any pointers on packing a Manta 288? In a Dolp.?

Find a skydiver girlfriend who will pack for you and only expect sexual favors in return. :P:P:P

I got a basic understanding from the "Pack Like A Pro" video, but actually doing it was another story for me.

Where do you find a girl like that?! :P
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Lines being "longer" doesn't make any difference to how easy it is to do over your shoulder. But it is an easy way of saying a bigger canopy that hangs down farther. ;)

The CORD of the canopy being longer, and then the larger offset in the line lengths for trim make it hang farther toward the floor. Think of an 88 with 30 foot lines. No different to propack, just more line to stow.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE