somethinelse

I'm ADD- Need Simplified Packing Tips!?!

Not officially, but I'm sure its a real issue for me.

I'm often mentally multi-tasking all the time! So tips to simplify complicated things are huge with me.

I actually like the idea of flat packing better than pro packing... But can that tecnique be done on some chutes better that on some or not at all on others? does it matter what kind of container that your packing into?

For Example, what about a Vector 3 container with a 175 Triathalon Main??

Never seen a post like this kind addressed before...

Thanx everybody for any and all input with this and anything similar to be able to K.I.S.S., ya know,
Keep It Stupid Simple or as the case might be to Keep It Simple Stupid!

Blues- LiLa.

>But can that tecnique be done on some chutes better that on some or not at all on others?

Well, packing tabs help, but most canopies can be packed either way. I think pro-packing and flat packing have about the same number of steps overall, and require about the same amount of attention.

The basics of pro for me are:

stow brakes
continuity check
fabric out to the sides
lines pulled to the center
tail sorted and pulled up
canopy wrapped
canopy laid down
canopy narrowed
canopy S-folded
canopy put in bag

The basics of flat for me are:

stow brakes *
continuity check
fabric laid flat
fabric stacked
stow brakes *
tail sorted all the way to one side
tail sorted halfway back
canopy wrapped
canopy narrowed
canopy S-folded
canopy put in bag

* - can be done either place

thanx Billvon.
I've always seen it Pro packed, but I guess one of our dz's tamdem masters always flat packs his own.
I think having my own gear will help me to be able to practice both ways to have it all come together.
But it is very good to hear from you that both techniques can be used to pack canopies.

Does it make a difference how a canopy is packed for best deployment considering the speed or body position at time of deployment?

Or is packing techniqe basically just a matter of perference?

Just curious! -L

Hey,

Some canopies can definitely be more consistent if packed one way or another. At the same time, say for example a Sabre 1 is fairly known for hard openings. Most people roll the nose. This can be done either way of packing.

In my opinion, any canopy can be packed either way with similar openings. This is true except once you get to smaller canopies. Apparently, from what I've been told, the smaller canopies tend to have more consistent openings from a propack. I mean canopies under 150-135. Sub 100...I have no idea, but I've only seen them propacked or psycho packed. I have pro packed my Spectre 135 since day 1. I personally find it easier, just makes more sense to me, and it uses less area on the packing mat.

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Hmm, Interesting.
Good tips. Thanx.
I think pro pack would be easier any how the smaller the amount of sauare footage of material you have to work with. ya know?
The big student and newb conaopies are just really difficult to pro pack when you are short or slight of build... awkward. Just thot flat pack COULD be easier for me somehow.
ya know?

>Does it make a difference how a canopy is packed for best
>deployment considering the speed or body position at time of deployment?

Most canopies do better with a pro pack nowadays, and that's what most manufacturers recommend. A flat pack can be made like a propack; that's how I pack for BASE. But it's more work.

The big student and newb conaopies are just really difficult to pro pack when you are short or slight of build... awkward. Just thot flat pack COULD be easier for me somehow.
ya know?

I have to differ with this. I'm 5'3" and pack tandem rigs without a problem... it's a matter of practice. Either way you decide to pack requires practice. Get together with a patient rigger who can help you learn in person and give you feedback.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I appreciate that.
yes, I need to pracice thats for sure.

Packing will definitely be come easier, dontcha think? when I got my own gear to take on home with me, or to take my time packing at the dz w/o the hassle of it being needed by somebody else, or needing to leave it at the dz when I head on home at the end of the day.

It is 8 gazillion times easier to learn to pack when you have your own gear. You can do it at home, punch walls when you need to, scream and yell in frustration and it's okay. I packed my own rig at least once daily for months to work on getting more proficient with it. It was time well spent... partly from a packing standpoint, partly because I got to know my own gear really well that way.

A patient rigger to work with you makes all the difference too..... they'll give you little pointers to make your life easier, like little lessons that you can then practice at home.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You should know that flat packing in a crowded packing area will result in people wishing they had a little voodoo doll of you that they could poke pins into. You're taking up about four packing lanes with all the area you use.

Basically it's uncool. And being cool is the most important thing in skydiving.

Now there will be about 10 posts from people who flat pack and will say that you can pack how you want to...blah blah. All I have to say to them is "We pee in your beer before giving it to you."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

You're taking up about four packing lanes with all the area you use.

Wow! Someone knows so much about flat packing.:S

I have seen cool guys Pro-packing so fast the some flat-packing old-farts could pack 3 canopies while cool ones were dealing with a single.B|

How well the canopy goes in the container can also vary some between pack jobs.

But you can and will pro pack at some point. Might as well get it over with. But get with someone away from the DZ to teach you. Also, you can propack on the ground. I did it for 15 years for reserves. I don't think I know of instructions on line but I'll look. Of if I end up helping with the gear purchase I can show you some time.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You're taking up about four packing lanes with all the area you use.

Wow! Someone knows so much about flat packing.:S

I have seen cool guys Pro-packing so fast the some flat-packing old-farts could pack 3 canopies while cool ones were dealing with a single.B|

Gabor, would you like a beer?

Hey somethingelse....told ya so.;)
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Personally, I find Pro-Packing simpler and easier. I think you'll find that, after you get used to the "different picture" that you get when pro-packing, you'll feel the same.
I'm a very methodical person myself and had the same reservations when I started pro-packing, but I quickly got over it. Now, I find it difficult to flat-pack. At the end of the day, do what works for you. To quote an old friend: "The shit WANTS to open, all you got to do is not get in it's way"
I'm sure you'll be fine packing your new parachute. My question is simply: At 32 jumps, cant you safely fly a Tri-175?

Regarding flying a 175:
I've gotten advice from ST&A and he advised me on that only after I get current and comfortable flying the rental rigs they got at the DZ first, then under his oversight to move to that then.

I love canopy piloting the most so far,
and everything I've rented is sluggish and heavy, slow,
But I am conservative and methodical about learning, I've just been slowed down in my jumped numbers due to needing to rent and the costs involved with that.
My DZ is small & really on top of things safety wise, and I trust them & look strongly to the instructor and coaches as I've been learning.
...SO everythings cool.

Also, you can propack on the ground. I did it for 15 years for reserves. I don't think I know of instructions on line but I'll look.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Try looking at the Talon 2 manual on Rigging Innovations' website. The charming,handsome - dare I say talented(?) - author demonstrates PRO-stacking on the floor, a great way to pack reserves and BASE, but probably too time-consuming for skydivers.