dickandsandy

Instructor Assistance

I had my 6th AFF jump Saturday. Exit @ 10K went fine. Five seconds into the jump one of the two instructors bumped into me sending me flying. I tumbled violently, uncontrollably so hard my shoe flew off. Finally @ 8K the other instructor finally pulled my ripcord. My one leg strap wasn't tight enough and the opening about tore my leg off. It knocked me out. Instructor one landed and told my wife I was 'flopping around up there'. I came to @ 2K. Helmet radio didn't work so I got my bearings, did maneuvers to 1K and headed for the landing field.
My Q is - I think an instructor should have stayed with me when I was unconscious - not on the ground making cracks about my condition - is that possible, or do they have faster chutes that land sooner?

1. How would he know that you were unconcious?

2. They deploy after you and have smaller canopies so land before you.

Glad that you're O.K - have you seen (did they take) video?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Finally @ 8K the other instructor finally pulled my ripcord. It knocked me out. I came to @ 2K.
I think an instructor should have stayed with me when I was unconscious...

How would an instructor stay with you through your parachute opening?

He had no way to know you were going to go unconscious from a hard opening.
Even if he had known you would go unconscious, there's no way for him to hang on to you.
Even if he hung on to you, he couldn't fly your parachute for you.
Even if he could hang on and fly your parachute, you would have double the weight under it and that would be unsafe and get both of you hurt.

Answer: No, it's not possible.

Once the parachute starts to deploy, you're on your own.
Quit blaming the instructor, and accept responsibility for being out of control. Arch!

And where does it say in my post I blamed the instructor?

Your anger at the instructors is palpable through each of your posts.
We're not just "protecting our own." We're very hard on instructors' mistakes, when we think they occur. So far, none of us find fault with either of the instructors' actions. I respectfully urge you to not have a bad attitude about this, or your attitude will be obvious to your next instructors the next time you jump. Having said this, if you still feel terribly offended (rightly or wrongly) at the way you've been handled, there are always other DZs to jump at. But I suggest you give them the benefit of the doubt.

And where does it say in my post I blamed the instructor?

Message #1:
Five seconds into the jump one of the two instructors bumped into me sending me flying. I tumbled violently...

Instructor one landed and told my wife I was 'flopping around up there'... I think an instructor should have stayed with me when I was unconscious - not on the ground making cracks about my condition.
Message #3:
I was out for 6k; I think he would have known
You're exhibiting a bad attitude about the sport, and you don't even know enough about it yet to be qualified to be making such judgments. That's a bad start.

Ask questions, instead of blaming other people.

If by your 6th AFF jump, you're still under the impression that a)an instructor can stay with you post deployment or b) that it's anyone but your responsibility to save yourself on a skydive, you probably ought to quit trolling this forum and try something safer.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

>Five seconds into the jump one of the two instructors bumped into
>me sending me flying.

Hmm. Sounds like you were doing a level 2 or level 3 on your sixth AFF. Being "bumped into" in freefall should not "send you flying" - you're already flying. An arch will always keep you stable.

>I tumbled violently, uncontrollably so hard my shoe flew off.

Sounds like perhaps some work on recovering stability would help you. Again, arching always works to recover stability. Once you get to the higher levels your instructor will likely do that to you deliberately, and you must be able to recover on your own.

>My one leg strap wasn't tight enough and the opening about tore my
>leg off. It knocked me out.

If you remember the opening it didn't knock you out. If you lost consciousness afterwards, see a doctor before you jump again; losing consciousness is a VERY serious problem that may require attention before you jump again. Next time you may not wake up before impact.

> Instructor one landed and told my wife I was 'flopping around up there'.

Sounds like you were!

>My Q is - I think an instructor should have stayed with me when I
>was unconscious. . .

No, their best option even if something is seriously wrong is to land quickly. They can do nothing for you in the air.

>not on the ground making cracks about my condition . . .

?? I don't think that's a 'crack' - that's what you were doing.

If you are only going to make one jump every year, then it should be a tandem and not an AFF jump. AFF is for learning how to skydive and making one jump a year is not learning anything. If you do want to learn then save your pennies up over a few years and actually get into an instructional program and stay current. Good luck in the future.
Be Safe and Have Fun, in that order!
Tuffy

I had my 6th AFF jump Saturday. Exit @ 10K went fine. Five seconds into the jump one of the two instructors bumped into me sending me flying. I tumbled violently, uncontrollably so hard my shoe flew off. Finally @ 8K the other instructor finally pulled my ripcord. My one leg strap wasn't tight enough and the opening about tore my leg off. It knocked me out. Instructor one landed and told my wife I was 'flopping around up there'. I came to @ 2K. Helmet radio didn't work so I got my bearings, did maneuvers to 1K and headed for the landing field.
My Q is - I think an instructor should have stayed with me when I was unconscious - not on the ground making cracks about my condition - is that possible, or do they have faster chutes that land sooner?

I thought when people get "knocked out," they don't remember what happened about 5 minutes before? You remembered all 50 seconds or so of freefall perfectly?

I can sort of see the sense in what you say but as we know... Skydiving is a big buzz but very expensive to get into .

Maybe a possibly better way for the OP is to approach the sport via the S/L route, which is cheaper and would give him more access, often to the sport that we love. It's cheaper (and retro:P - it's how I started XYZ years ago B| )

Just a thought....

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I agree that AFF is tailored for those who wish to learn to skydive. It is probably not best suited to a person 71 years of age who wants to jump once a year only. Not saying that it is unsafe, but that it places much more personal responsibility upon the participant. Not only to perform on the skydive, but to accept the risk of injury. On an AFF skydive your instructors will do everything within their powers to help you, but primary responsibility for your safety lies in your ability to follow the training that you received, and an honest evaluation of your physical and mental condition.

I had my 6th AFF jump Saturday. Exit @ 10K went fine. Five seconds into the jump one of the two instructors bumped into me sending me flying.

Okay, if you're on your 6th jump, and you still have two instructors, you're obviously having troubles and having to repeat some levels, right? I've been bumped, really f-ing hard, in freefall. If you're doing everything right, you arch and regain stability. If a bump has you spinning out of control, that's your problem. You need to arch and relax your arms and legs. It sounds like classic flat spin problems.

Sorry you ended up unconscious. I'm glad you woke up in time to make a good landing. This sport can be very rough. It might not be one you want to do. Good luck.

When they finally scraped me off the deck i asked my instructor what the hell happened up there - he said i went fetal; now I'm not going to dispute the man's word, and that's probably what happened, but until I conked out I knew I had to arch and I had my hands positioned exactly where I was told to put them and as I had done 5 trips before; the thing about it was I was totally unaware of my legs, like you can't feel them, you know?
So, training is good but experience trumps it; next time I'll point the pecker to the ground and concentrate more on what the legs are doing.