kturnau

Pilot packing tips?

I let the nose hang, I don't push it in, roll it, or do anything besides letting go of the nose with my knees.

I quarter the slider evenly, pulling it away from the nose will get it to open faster, but the openings will be way less predictable and offheading.

Light wrap on the tail, it doesn't need much. It already gives nice long snivels. Don't expect it to open fast, it won't. I tried packing it to open fast for 20 some jumps, and it just ends up opening like crap.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

What are the colored packing aids all about that they advertise? I've never seen that.

each line group has different color tabs. basically helps to quickly identify any misplaced/lost lines.
or could help those learning to pack, i suppose.

doug - no worries

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

My DZO bought a brand new Pilot 210 for a student canopy and let me put the first 50-60 jumps on it.

I will tell it was a SLICK SOB but u get used to it. As for how to pack, like the other poster suggested, DO NOT roll the nose and roll the tail very little (jsut enuff to keep it tidy and under control. I typically "trash" packed it and never had an issue, always very nice on heading openings.

Also, I have since leared to physcho pack and if I had it to do all over again, would definitely physcho pack a new pilot, no question, as it is much easier to control the material this way.

Thats my $.02, if you don't use it all, I wuold expect some change.

:P

anyone know when they changed ZP materials? just curious.

I know when my PD canopy was new it was a pain for 20 or so jumps (but then again i had less packing experience) vs my ~14 mth old pilot which was easy. I 99% sure it is ZP they used to use.

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Maybe my experience is unique, but about a year ago I demoed a Pilot 150 and Sabre2 150. The Pilot was supposedly brand new and was really easy to get in the bag. The Sabre2 supposedly had a few hundred jumps on it and was super slippery.

I then bought a new Pilot 132, and it was easy to get in the bag from day 1. Not slippery like other new canopies I'd had.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

How was your dbag sized compared to the size of the canopies. I bet my pilot would be a breeze to pack if it wasn't on the upper limits of what fits in the bag. :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Kevin

You'll notice on the Pilot that we have color coded line attachment points, to help you flake out the canopy and also to identify the line groups while packing.

Here is how I'd pack the Pilot.

Once all the needed stuff like stowing the brakes and setting the slider are done, and you have walked the lines up and have them over your shoulder. Flake out the lines set groups and cells. Count out the nose and place it between your legs. Take the nose and set it just into the canopy (I do a little shaking of the nose to allow the canopy to settle either side). Fold the stabilizers over, then grab the tail and pull it up and over. Roll the tail a few times but not tight. Lay the canopy down and fold into the bag and stow the lines in a neat and even manor, leaving about a foot to a foot and a half of free stow.

Let me know if this help, or you can PM me and I'll send a CD out with the Demo you have just placed.

Blue Skies
Karl

I've had a brand new pilot (2 years ago) and a brand new Sabre2 (last year) - the marerial on the Pilot was made from teflon coated snot, whilst the Sabre2 was simply bananaskins on ice. ;)

They're both hard to pack at first. 50 jumps in and they're much easier.

I pack(ed) them both exactly the same way, and never had an off-heading on either. Some brisker openings (500ft Vs. 800 ft) depending on how rushed I was, or how little care I put in, but both are awesome canopies and ideal for me as a beginner.

Its a bit sad but I also had coloured packing tabs added to the sabre2 after being so used to them on the pilot - it didn't cost much and just makes my life that little bit easier - crayons on the lines might work just as easily for someone else ;)