karenmeal

Favorite Words

What are your favorite words?

Post the good ones that you throw around to make yourself appear smart.:P

Here is my all-time favorite word:

Forte-a strong point, as of a person; that in which one excels.

I don't know why I like it so much. I appreciate that it is short, but a seemingly elegant word.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well it's not English, it's Arabic, but it's so fun to say...

It's pronounced "roobama", and it means "possibly or maybe", but it just kinda rolls off the tongue, rrrrrrrrrrrrrroobama! B|

That, and tuberculosis or spatula. :)

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Eww!!! Tuberculosis!!! Ever since I saw an infected lung at the Bodies Exhibit that disease CREEPS ME OUT!

On a happier note.. here is another cool word:

Confabulation- to fabricate new memories that one believes to be true. This occurs during/after instances of amnesia to fill in gaps in memory.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Here's a good one....

Phrenology

a psychological theory or analytical method based on the belief that certain mental faculties and character traits are indicated by the configurations of the skull.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Never thought I was being smart when I use words like...

pedantic
trite
banal
pertinent
germane
obtuse
fatuous
specious
endemic

but I have noticed over time more and more people have a "deer in the headlights" look when I used them.:S
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I'm not sure if it is even a real word... i think it is. Also, I don't know how to spell it....

"Nomenclature"

Example: Friend- "Look at that... green, jumpy-thing."
Response: "I believe tat 'Frog,' would be the preferred nomenclature."

I sound so smart when I say it.
It's all fun and until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

WOW
So many big words used in this thread.:o
We're not but humble pirates, my dear.B|
I'm not sure I understand the original question.:S
Therefore, I'm afraid that I am disinclined to acquiesce your request!...savvy?B|
You're as wonderful as a slinkie!! NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Funny you mention that.. I just had to learn about phrenology to prepare for an exam tomorrow!

I'm actually minoring in reverse phrenology. When I graduate I'll be able to charge $100 for a session of therapy and the only outlay will be for a small rubber mallet.:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

WOW
So many big words used in this thread.:o
We're not but humble pirates, my dear.B|
I'm not sure I understand the original question.:S
Therefore, I'm afraid that I am disinclined to acquiesce your request!...savvy?B|

[:/]

The Pessimist says: "It can't possibly get any worse!"
The Optimist says: "Sure it can!"

Pirates!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325980/quotes

Barbossa: First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement, so I must do nothin'. And secondly, you must be a pirate for the Pirate's Code to apply, and you're not. And thirdly, the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner.

B|
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I used to be a big fan of a word I unfortunately forgot, but would love to be reminded of. I searched for it high and low but can't find it.

I think it starts with "C" and the definition is: "overly verbose" It is a lengthy word.

I love to use it when someone (such as some of the people above) spits out a word i don't understand. I simply responded with: "Don't be so....."

This then unexpectedly produced the "deer in the headlights" look onto THEIR face. :D

Unfortunately I associated with too many non-pretentious people and didn't have enough opportunities to express this word and it faded from my memory.

PLEASE tell me what the word was!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Its not a real word but one my mother coined disirregardless which is a double negative... (at least) and more or less just means "regardless" "irregard" or "disregard" :D:D

but I'm a bit of a nut... :P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Clusterf**k: commonly used to descriptively generalize any situation with a large scale of disarray

In radio communication or polite conversation (i.e. with a very senior officer with whom you have no prior experience) the term "clusterfuck" will often be replaced by the NATO phonetic acronym "Charlie Foxtrot."

so know I know what to say on the radio...;)

I have always loved the sound of MagNooooooooliea....It just oozes across your tounge when you drawl it with the proper southern drawl ....oh and it evokes the memories of warm humid spring nights with that sweet smell wafting thru the air.

I've always been partial to:

plethora

Interesting way to say variety.

I like using that word so much, I think I'll use it now. There is a plethora of personalities on this website.:)
I think I just creamed my jeans.:P

Oh, Karen...Go over to Speaker's Corner and you will find all sorts of words. The peeps over there try to impress everyone with their intelligence by rolling out the big words. I think it gives them the feeling of having the biggest penis or something.:|

Chris