IanHarrop

PIA - If you're there - What's new?

Please if you're there, start letting the rest of us in on what's new and interesting.

We're waiting....

Edit to add: Hey Mods!!! You should make this a sticky!

I somehow doubt this will work but its worth tryingB|
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

They actually cleared the schedule during the Riggers Forum so there are no more conflists with technical seminars - THAT is new, and excellent! B|

Yeah, because of me. I bitched about it 4 weeks ago but we finally resolved it on Friday.

But the one scoop I do have is that Booth is showing a suspension line reserve ripcord. Haven't seen the installation but have handled the ripcord itself. Jury's out until I see the full system later today.

See the PIA rigger forum [/url]www.pia.com[url] for information on a new FCI manual that ban's clamps.

Information on 180 day and 65.111 will be discusses on Thursday at the rigger forum, if I have a voice.[:/] Been sick all week.

I'll be hanging around registration later this morning.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

But the one scoop I do have is that Booth is showing a suspension line reserve ripcord. Haven't seen the installation but have handled the ripcord itself.

does that mean there is actually no cable, but a line instead ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

But the one scoop I do have is that Booth is showing a suspension line reserve ripcord. Haven't seen the installation but have handled the ripcord itself.

does that mean there is actually no cable, but a line instead ?

Correct. It was displayed by RWS at the 2005 PIA Symposium. I had it in my hands then. 1000 lbs Spectra line, I believe.

Check my post from Jan 29, 2005 :)
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1458216#1458216

Actually, read from the quoted post DOWN, for more info.

:| how do you feed it through the housing????

.... Is there still a pin at the end????

just wondering

jmy

Bill Booth in 2005:

"My new Spectra ripcord is "stiff" enough to thread easily through our stainless housing with no tools. It is only about 14" long, and with no pin on the end."

that does sound interesting, but to paraphrase bill booth, isn't that 'an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't exist'? what precisely is the problem with the steel cable that the nylon one solves?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

That sounds cool, less chance of getting it knocked out while moving around in the plane. :)

I don't see how that would change, if there is still a handle at one end, and a pin at the other.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I don't see how that would change, if there is still a handle at one end, and a pin at the other.

From above: "and with no pin on the end".

Wouldn't a flexible supple line, instead of a stiff pin, seems like it would be less likely to be pushed out when it is pressed against an airplane bulkhead? :P
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

From above: "and with no pin on the end".

Wouldn't a flexible supple line, instead of a stiff pin, seems like it would be less likely to be pushed out when it is pressed against an airplane bulkhead? :P

Right, I was reading that to mean no swage ball/pin at the handle end.

Of course everyone would like to know how the mechanism works. A line would have to be as stiff as a pin to function as a replacement with the rest of the existing system.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Everything with a skyhook as the separate pin. The line ripcord just has a loop in each end. One larks heads around the reserve handle and the other has the pin from the RSL put through it. Take the place of the marine fitting on the end of the cable. So still a metal pin.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

What is the advantage?

Without such a description of the benefits, then it looks as someone else said, as a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.