skydive4u2

feedback on Bonehead Mamba

Things I like:

Very positive lock - I honestly can't see any way for the visor to come open in freefall. The downside is that you have to use two hands to open it under canopy.

Large visor - you have very good visibility. The downside is, like every full face, you don't have as MUCH visibility as an open helmet. Ventilation in freefall is good, as well - I've never fogged up. I usually leave mine at least partway open until just before exit for ventilation. It's also large enough for glasses, which I like.

1 point fastener - the chin strap also tightens the neck roll - no way to do one and forget the other. I also like the fact that it HAS both rather than just snugging up the neck roll.

I definitely recommend a few "easy", no pressure jumps to get used to the helmet, if you decide to get one.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I like the fact that the lens in the visor can be replaced with plastic that can be bought at a local plastic supplier instead of one only available from the manufacturer.

I have a big melon and the Mamba is one of only two that fit. I preferred it over the FreeZr. Also agree with the fact that the visor is rock solid. Once forgot to close it before taking front float on a KingAir. Stayed on and closed it easily with a quick bump. Good field of view for a fullface.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I have only good things to say about the Mamba...

1) You can wear glasses with the helmet on.

2) It is durable enough that if you happen to forget to put your visor down before exiting the aircraft the wind blast will not rip the visor from the helmet. (I did this more than once).
... Marion

Mamba is the only closed face helmet I've ever used and have no reason to try others. Field of vision is great (no restrictions), visor is secure, and I agree with all the other posts as well.

Plus it looks kewl. :P
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

There is a way to have the visor open in freefall, a friend's visor opened in freefall when the locking mechanism (the part on the visor) came off. The screws loosened themselves and he lost everything in freefall.
I'm in no way badmouthing the Mamba, I love mine and he loves his. Bonehead also sent replacement parts to him at no charge as soon as they heard about it.

The helmet is great, very comfortable and great field of vision. I'd second getting another if mine met with unfortunate circumstances.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

There is a way to have the visor open in freefall, a friend's visor opened in freefall when the locking mechanism (the part on the visor) came off. The screws loosened themselves and he lost everything in freefall.
I'm in no way badmouthing the Mamba, I love mine and he loves his. Bonehead also sent replacement parts to him at no charge as soon as they heard about it.

The helmet is great, very comfortable and great field of vision. I'd second getting another if mine met with unfortunate circumstances.

The part on the visor?? I could see if the pin (in the helmet shell) came loose... I'll have to look at mine again and check that out...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

We been very happy with them as a 4-way team. They're great in Freefall and the tunnel...

- The custom fit that their liners provide is awsome.
- They're lighter than any other full face I've seen or used.
- The latch mechanism is awsome, especially secure for tunnel use...

You'll be happy you got one.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

I got one for Christmas from my sons (now did I raise them right or what?!?!!!!) and I am loving that helmet! For all the reasons that have been already stated, plus two more: It is much stronger than a fiberglass helmet, so better protection-which is why we wear them. And it is very light-about the same weight as my open face Z1, which is the only other helmet I have used. I have jumped it 7 times now and flown it in the wind tunnel at Eloy (cold as hell the night we were there) and it is the BOMB!!
Blue Skies Safe Landings B|
Bill

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I wouldn't listen...or wait till she's asleep and go "get a glass of milk"...all along the way getting the Mamba and coming back to bed w/ it...just sleep on the edge, you already LIVE THERE!!
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

It's the nicest full-face on the market.

-the visor locks securely, yet is easy to open under canopy
-the entire visor comes off easilly
-it's not as big and stupid looking as an Oxygn (which also has a shitty visor system)
-it's MUCH more durable than a plastic Z1 (which has a shitty visor lock/release)

it's MUCH more durable than a plastic Z1 (which has a shitty visor lock/release)

Not sure I'd agree with that, although I only own a Z1. The mamba visor seems to scratch up much more easily than the Z1. And I've had no problem with the visor latch on my Z1, which I probably have 800 jumps on.

I've replaced my visor twice... once because it was scratched up, and the second time when it arrived in FL cracked thanks to Delta's baggage handlers. Only tool required to change it is a quarter. Although I used a bunch of tools and took forever the first time I did it. The second time only took a few minutes.

The mamba seems pretty nice, but I wouldn't say it's any better than a Z1. I actually thought about getting a Mamba a while back to replace my Z1, but after seeing a few of them, I'd go for another Z1 if anything happened to mine.

Dave