diverdriver

Updates on Keith from SDC landing accident.

On sunday evening the 20th Keith Nugent (not sure if he posts here but I believe he's got a log in) was seriously injured in a landing accident. It is not known what caused his accident. His injuries are pretty bad but he is stable at a Chicago area hospital. Taneva asked me to post to keep people updated that know Keith. Not sure if I'll post the extent of his injuries until I talk to Taneva again. I hope to go see him in the next couple of days. They are not letting anyone see him that is not immediate family right now.

Keith is the driving force behind Team Funnel activities at SDC now. He has put his heart into fulfilling the Team Funnel creed to jump and educate the lowtimers. Keith is a great friend with a huge heart. He was my Best Man at my wedding. Please keep him in your prayers.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I am very saddened to hear this...SDC is my home DZ, and I came back from a long lay-off in April. Keith is the embodiment of what a newbie (or someone returning) hopes to find waiting for them at a DZ - welcoming, enthusiastic, and just generally a nice guy. He looked out for me and helped me get back into the swing of things - making introductions, making the effort to help me find people to jump with, organzing the jumps -he was just great! I haven't been able to jump as much as I thought I would through the summer, but was planning to get back in a few weeks and really looking forward to jumping with him...well, his recovery is all that matters now.

Keith will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers, as will his loved ones as they go through this with him.

Thanks for posting this info. Chris, and please give updates as you can.

Wendee
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

I have been working with Taneva to keep people accurately updated on Keith as well. She has received so many calls of concern, support and love she cannot keep up with them.

I am comfortable with the following status report as to Keith's condition. He was originally stabililized in Ottawa, then airlifted to Good Samaritan Hospital in Downer's Grove, IL. He is in the critical care pavilion.

He has been on a ventilator for precautionary reasons, but his lungs are good. He is likely to be extubated today. There is a very small amount of bruising to his heart which seemed to slow the stabilization of his blood pressure. This is not expected to cause long term problems. He has improved gradually, and is now off all of the meds to keep his BP up. Other than that, there were no internal injuries found.

A brief listing of his injuries includes the following:
~One Femur, which was rodded. His ankles will need to be reevaluated in a while for the extent of injury
~Pelvis, which has external fixation in place.
~C1 vertebral fracture, hopefully will heal with just a collar .
~A few Teeth were knocked out, no facial bone fractures

The most encouraging part is that, despite all of the pain meds and sedation for procedures, Keith has become progressively more responsive. He knows his family and has communicated with writing. He has been breathing on his own over the ventilator.

As yet, visitation has still been limited to Taneva, Mom and Dad only. Keith has been told of the incredible outpouring of support. He needs to conserve all of his emotional energy at this point for recovery. He is a healthy young man with very strong will and determination.

I will help Chris in keeping you all informed. Letters of well wishes and prayers may be sent to:

Keith Nugent C/O
Good Samaritan Hospital: Critical Care Pavilion
3815 Highland Avenue • Downers Grove, Illinois 60515

Note:Flowers are not allowed in patients rooms in ICU.

More soon.
Dr. "Q" PMS#151Shugah,Shugah,How'd Ya Git So Fly?

Hey guys I'm at the hospital now and using T's computer. He's totally off of the ventilator and I believe they have also cut his sedation meds. This is way good news! He's got a long road but he's getting out of the woods.

Keep him in your thoughts and prayers please.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

SuzQ and Chris, thanks for the updates...SO glad to hear he's improving.:)
Give Taneva and his mom/dad our love and support.

Wendee
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Please stop hooking yourself into the ground people. That shit hurts as I am sure you know. At least I only hit the pond. :S Get well soon!

It was not a hook turn or a low turn. It was described as a flat turn with no flare at the end. It is unknown why he didn't flare.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I guess its hard to be the "safety bytch" when your friends are involved. Let's be honest here- if it were anyone else you would be among the first to say exactly what Clay said and a whole lot more!

I wasn't there and I didn't see what happened, but a no flare landing after a conservative flat turn usually won't leave you on a ventilator with several broken bones. The kind of canopy flying that earned Keith his nickname would, and people ARE going to speculate and make assumptions, especially since no real information about the accident has been posted.

My best to Keith for his ongoing recovery, and my love to T- she's got a HUGE heart and he's lucky to have her at his side.

I guess its hard to be the "safety bytch" when your friends are involved. Let's be honest here- if it were anyone else you would be among the first to say exactly what Clay said and a whole lot more!

I wasn't there and I didn't see what happened, but a no flare landing after a conservative flat turn usually won't leave you on a ventilator with several broken bones. The kind of canopy flying that earned Keith his nickname would, and people ARE going to speculate and make assumptions, especially since no real information about the accident has been posted.

My best to Keith for his ongoing recovery, and my love to T- she's got a HUGE heart and he's lucky to have her at his side.

A hook turn defines one type of turn into a ground. It usually means someone was trying to swoop. A low turn means someone turned low trying to get back into the wind and again did not have time to recover. Neither of those quick descriptions covers what I am hearing about his landing. It may be that it was target fixation and we're not talking target on the ground but rather looking at his student making sure of where they were. We don't know.

What I do know is that hook turn does not describe what Keith did so far so I was correcting Clay.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125