Chris-Ottawa

Is my canopy going to blow up?

Evening everyone,

I have a question that has been bugging me for a bit now. I haven't been able to jump in almost 2 months now due to cold weather. I have been packing my canopy just to practice and get that feel back. While my canopy was out, I took a good look at everything about it and inside of it.

Now, when I was looking inside my canopy, I noticed something with the crossports that is got me kinda freaked out. I read another thread about the differences between ZP and F111 and that ZP had a weaker "break" point.

On mine, mostly on the center 3 cells, the fabric looks to be tearing or maybe better to say fraying. I imagine when PD hot knifes the canopy, it sort of seals the fabric. This looks like it didn't make a good seal and it's fraying.

Here's a picture to better show what I'm talking about. Is this something I should be concerned about or is this perfectly fine? I'm going to jump the canopy anyways, but I'm concerned if I shouldn't be or if I'm going to make it worse. The picture is of the worst one.

Thanks!

Chris

Edit: I have to get my reserve done on the 30th of Jan so you can bet I'll be talking to my rigger.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

On a 50-jump Spectre?

I've seen it on a spectre, don't know how many jumps it had, but it was well over 50. About the only canopy that I haven't seen that happen to is my old XF2, but the crossport shape and design was different on that canopy, then the coffee can shaped hole in the rib.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm going to echo Billvon, I've seen that on almost every canopy I've closely examined. Oh, and just for a laugh, when my wife was teaching me to pack, she was looking at my flaking, and she said "OH MY GOD, THERE'S RIPS IN YOUR NEW CANOPY!!!" Funny... for her.

EFS
Sean LR
God made firefighters so paramedics would have heroes...and someone can put out the trailer fires.

Now, when I was looking inside my canopy, I noticed something with the crossports that is got me kinda freaked out. I read another thread about the differences between ZP and F111 and that ZP had a weaker "break" point.

So? Crossports usually made of low cf material and not ZP.

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the input. We seem to have alot of differeing opinions. I have just emailed PD and attached the picture for their opinion. I will also talk to my rigger on the 30th when I get my reserve done.

I wanted to post it on here to see if it was something that doesn't matter as it's a crossport, but even if it doesn't matter, I don't want it to get worse. If it was top or bottom skin, I wouldn't even second guess myself and get it repaired.

I'll let everyone know what PD says.

Thanks again.

Chris

this is fairly common with most canopys,although i am a bit suprised that it only has 50jumps on it.
but its quiet easy to get fixed.when you bring the rig to your rigger,he should be able to trim that off for you with a hotknife.i dont think it should make a difference to the canopy handling.
i have trimmed a few canopys like that and some of them have been in a lot worse shape than yours.
give it to your rigger for inspection to reasure your self.
rodger

Hey,

I just wanted to clarify something.

That picture is very zoomed in, I think it may be making it look worse than it actually is. Each one of those frays are no bigger than an inch and this is the worst one. The others are almost un-noticeable unless you closely inspect it.

Nonetheless, I'm concerned not so much of the canopy structurally failing, but more that the problem will grow with each jump until it does structurally fail. The canopy is nearly brand new, and I want to keep it that way as long as possible.

Also, out of curiosity, what would happen if a rib ripped in half lengthwise. I seem to doubt that the canopy would completely fail, I would just have a 6 cell parachute, with one damn big cell, no? Maybe it wold collapse on those 2 cells, but since the top and bottom skin is intact, I doubt that too. The only thing that worries me about that, is if the rib fails, it's going to put more stress on other parts of the canopy which "could" lead to catastrophic failure. Any Insight?

Thanks

Chris

For anyone who's curious, here's what PD had to say:

Robin Miller

Fraying of cross ports is quite common. We see that a lot here at the factory. The only time we would patch that area is if the tear/fraying starts to head towards the seam. If you notice that, then you should send it to us for us to patch. In your situation, we would touch it up with a hot knife just to seal the edges. You don't want to go in too deep because it will change the shape and make the cross port hole too large.

So hopefully anyone else who has this can benefit from it.

Chris

Also, out of curiosity, what would happen if a rib ripped in half lengthwise. I seem to doubt that the canopy would completely fail, I would just have a 6 cell parachute, with one damn big cell, no? Maybe it wold collapse on those 2 cells, but since the top and bottom skin is intact, I doubt that too.

Correct. One cell just puffs up extra big like the Pillsbury Dough Boy, but the canopy should still fly well enough to land safely. I've had this happen several times, and landed just fine. Do a controlability check up high and then make your decision whether or not to go for it. Sometimes they're so benign that you don't even notice it in the air, and discover it while repacking, with a resounding "Holy shit!"...

For a small, heavily loaded, high performance canopy, more caution is necessary.

Also, out of curiosity, what would happen if a rib ripped in half lengthwise. I seem to doubt that the canopy would completely fail, I would just have a 6 cell parachute, with one damn big cell, no? Maybe it wold collapse on those 2 cells, but since the top and bottom skin is intact, I doubt that too. The only thing that worries me about that, is if the rib fails, it's going to put more stress on other parts of the canopy which "could" lead to catastrophic failure.

Saw it happen. The guy never even knew there was a problem until we told him about it after he landed. It is far more likely to happen to an unloaded rib. Loaded ribs have reinforcement tapes that prevent a nose-to-tail rip.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.