jumpwally

Microsoft Vista?

I(Also, when Mac users claim that Vista is a Mac OS X clone, remind them most of the features they tout as Apple inventions really isn't. :P)

Calling Vista a clone of Mac OS X, is like me putting a fiberglass Ferrari kit-car body on a Volkswagen Beetle chassis, and calling it a "Ferrari".
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Any idea what the super cool features are that requires such computing power? It seems to me that many programs grow and change and demand more power for no reason other than to glad hand others in the industry. Then again, I think WP5.1 was more user-friendly than the latest incarnation of Word.

Blues,
Dave

The desktop is a 3-D environment that requires a lot of resources. :/ They have also tried to make the OS more user friendly. This tends to mean that MS takes away the ability to do certain things to provide a feature for the lowest common user.

Outside of DirectX 10 I have no reason to upgrade at all. And since the good DX10 games are still 6-12 months away I am not upgrading any time soon.

I don't like the license/tos or the DRM associated with Vista. I also do not like the changes made to installing programs that don't have a MS stamp on them for easy install/use. One other thing is the way they changed access to certain files that allowed 3rd party virus checkers to work - as it stands we will not have heuristic virus protection because of this.

WinXP SP2 works great (finally) and I don't see ANYTHING that prompts me to spend the money to upgrade. I don't need the gimick file serach engine since I have my own custom file tree which makes it easy to find anything.

edit - this is most likely the last ever MS OS release as the world is changing and a massive OS just isn't needed anymore.

It is not for old machines. You need a good modern system for vista. All the 3D eye candy they added means it really needs a fancy graphics card. Nobody is doing the old upgrade your legacy systems spiel with this. They've had a "Vista Ready" marketing effort for new system sales and even with new systems you have to watch what you get, a good DX9 graphics card is essential for example.

I'd avoid it for a year anyway. The only nasty thing is Microsoft is releasing Direct X 10 on Vista only (although the 3D desktop runs on DX9 for now), this means that at some point games may appear that are Vista only. Probably only Microsoft games though. Nobody else will be crazy enough to do a Vista only game for a few years yet. Vista will be the cool fancy looking windows platform with a small market share for some time to come. Remember Windows Me? Like that but with fewer bugs and better graphics, and maybe it won't be killed for some new release in a year or two.

I'm considering jumping into the Linux pool for my next machine...

Depending on what you use that machine for, switching to Linux could be either a very good idea or a very bad idea. Good luck!

Btw: I run FreeBSD myself.

Alphons
And five hundred entirely naked women dropped out of the sky on parachutes.
-- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm considering jumping into the Linux pool for my next machine...

Depending on what you use that machine for, switching to Linux could be either a very good idea or a very bad idea. Good luck!

Btw: I run FreeBSD myself.

Alphons

Yup... games and digital photography, mostly... have to have an emulator of some sort for the games and no guarantee, i know...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

just be prepared to have microsoft stalk you like it's the job to. year by year they get into your computer and update and record where you've been and what you've "stolen" music, software. It's terrible. Like I said, Gates is the devil.>:(

Blue Skies

games and digital photography, mostly...

Digital photography is not much of a problem. There are some very good image manipulation programs for Linux (or FreeBSD or whatever) and USB card readers can be used just fine.

With games, you're in for trouble.

But instead of using an emulator, may I suggest that you try a dual-boot system?

Alphons

games and digital photography, mostly...

Digital photography is not much of a problem. There are some very good image manipulation programs for Linux (or FreeBSD or whatever) and USB card readers can be used just fine.

With games, you're in for trouble.

But instead of using an emulator, may I suggest that you try a dual-boot system?

Alphons

Good idea... I hadn't considered dual booting...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

just be prepared to have microsoft stalk you like it's the job to. year by year they get into your computer and update and record where you've been and what you've "stolen" music, software. It's terrible. Like I said, Gates is the devil.>:(

Gates once said "Information is the future, the more information you have, the more success and power you will wield over your competition."

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

Dual booting info... a place to start

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128136-c,linux/article.html

http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos/dual-boot-linux-and-windows/
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Dual booting info... a place to start

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128136-c,linux/article.html

http://www.matthewjmiller.net/howtos/dual-boot-linux-and-windows/

Appreciate that - I was looking at an emulator so as not to have to mess with dual booting... I'll check those out and see what all it has to say.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Is there a program that lets you switch from OS to OS whehter it be Windows to Linux, or Windows to Windows, without rebooting?

Sorry, I don't know. I am looking at doing this to one of my older systems so my son can use Linux at home while taking a Computer Science class at university. I am a noobie at this.

If anyone has advice on doing this I am looking for it too.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

There have been programs that allow you to boot Linux from Windows (Loadlin, if I'm not mistaken, is one of them) but generally, as far as I know it's not possible and you're just stuck with having to reboot.

Alphons