bch7773

SCUBA diving in Florida?? Help

Some of the K-State skydivers are making a spring break trip to dublin boogie, then onto florida to hit some DZs.

a couple of us are licensed SCUBA divers, and the other people are interested in doing a discovery dive, but I am having trouble finding a SCUBA place near Daytona Beach area.

First of all, are there many dives going on in Mid-March in Florida?

Also are there any ocean dives going on? A lot of what I found was the fresh water river diving, like in underground caverns? Anyone done those and liked them?

We'd be near deland / daytona beach on Monday, March 19th and Tuesday, March 20th. We might drive farther if there is a good SCUBA place within a couple hours?

MB 3528, RB 1182

It'd be quite a drive, but there are some fantastic wreck and coral dives in Key Largo. There are 3 major wrecks sunk as artifical reefs, the Speigel Grove being the biggest of the three. Most companies do a 2-tank boat dive, going to a wreck first, then to a reef.

I know there's some wreck dives in the Cocoa Beach area. If you want good reef drift dives you need to go down to West Palm/Jupiter or even more south.

Most dive stores in Florida within a few hours of WPB make trips down there constantly and would be able to help you out.
This ad space for sale.

I have a friend in Zhills who organizes trips.
Skydiver with 4K jumps.
Scuba Master since there was water.

She set up my last several trips to the Keys.
Email diverdoris at a-o-l

Get an idea of what you want to do.
The dive location depends on your interest.

Important Note
Also, to do the deep wrecks in the Keys, you need more than an Open Water cert now.

The Spiegel Grove and the Duane are awesome.
The Alligator is an excellent shallow water wreck.

The East coast has good drift diving locations and a reef, but it is mostly deep.

I posted here before about Blue Springs. It's 20 minutes from the DZ in DeLand.

If you've never dove a freshwater spring, you should go to Blue Spring state park, 20 minutes from DeLand in Orange City. I don't SCUBA, but I have been freediving there for 10 years. There is a total depth of 120ft, and it gets overhead past about 60ft. I've never been past 90ft, but even going that far it is equivalent to a much deeper vertical dive, since you have to move horizontally so far (inclined shaft). It gets pretty dark and I freedive with a bright light (I can also wiggle through some TIGHT ~20ft-long traverses you literally couldn't fit through with SCUBA on - but I know that place like the back of my hand).

I have been freediving to probably a dozen of the most well-reviewed freshwater springs here in FL (we have literally HUNDREDS) and Blue Springs remains my favorite. In part, probably because it was my first. It gets very crowded some times of year... all the bubble blowers go first thing in the AM. A few summers ago, I had a weekly habit of skydiving in DeLand all day, then driving to Blue Springs at sunset and freediving for the one hour before the park closed, and NOBODY was in the water, it was great. In the past 2 years it's got even more crowded, and in the summer you can never have the place to yourself anymore. If you go with your SCUBA in the morning, expect a couple dozen other divers bumping tanks in the boil, and poor visibility. If I did SCUBA dive I'd imagine I'd go in the afternoon. Lots of swimmers on the surface, but nobody under. Call the park.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

If you are looking for relatively clear salt water, come south to at least Jupiter (+/- 180 miles south of Daytona), north of that the gulfstream heads offshore and the vis can be touchy. The water's probably going to be in the 60's or low 70's. Operators vary as far as what goes, time limits, etc. In Jupiter (where I regularly dove), most diving is 60-90' on west-facing ledges. There are some wrecks, but mostly drifting down the reef with the current. Nitrox rocks there!

There are a bunch of springs in the north/middle of the state for freshwater diving.

--------------------------------------------------
the depth of his depravity sickens me.
-- Jerry Falwell, People v. Larry Flynt

Boca Raton has some nice areas. I too only have an open water cert. In Boca Raton we go to like 70' to 90' deep. Its not the deepest but is still a lot of fun things to see. Also, not sure about mid march but sometimes the currents can be a bit high there. So unless you are familiar with drift diving, you might want to check out another location.
If I stand on my tip toes, I can see the weekend from here!

also does anyone down there do the discovery dives? I did a couple in mexico, and you did the same scuba dive as the licensed people (40 fsw reef) but you had a divemaster as your buddy, and you spent about an hour going over gear, techniques, etc. Some of the people on this trip have never dove, and they really wanted to do something like this.

I haven't seen anything similar on the Florida SCUBA diveshops, I'm guessing they either don't do it there or the dives are all too deep for total newbies?

MB 3528, RB 1182

Salt water diving in Florida.

On the West coast (Tampa), the water is murkier than I prefer. During certain times of the year, there is shallow diving around the manatees, that is fun.

On the East coast (Boca, Jupiter, West Palm), the water is a little deeper. There is some offshore reefs, but they are 80-100 ft and on regular, not much bottom time on air. The drift dives are fun if you hang at 60-70ft and sightsee.

In the Keys, there are deep and shallow dives and wrecks. Some wrecks are 60-90ft and require more certs.

There is a good shallow wreck 20-30ft, the Alligator barge. It has awesome amounts of fish and great vis.

I did the discover scuba thing in the bahamas a couple years ago, and it was like what you are describing Brian. Also, last year when I did my open water course there were discover scuba students there every day that just did a really brief training session then went on the same dive. Don't know anything about Florida though.

West Palm Beach is probably going to be your best bet. They have some pretty cool wreck and drift dives. The Princess Ann is a cargo ship who's top deck is at ~35', and the prop is just over 90' if I recall, so it's a cool dive for all levels. They have a few other cool spots as well. Lots to see there.

The water doesn't really start to look like travel brochures until you're well wouth of Daytona. :D

Keep in mind, that even though this is Florida, the water is still pretty cool this time of year. You're going to need a pretty thick suit to keep warm. Not exactly sure what the water temp is, my candy ass doesn't do cold water diving anymore. :D

J
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

West Palm Beach is probably going to be your best bet. They have some pretty cool wreck and drift dives. The Princess Ann is a cargo ship who's top deck is at ~35', and the prop is just over 90' if I recall, so it's a cool dive for all levels. They have a few other cool spots as well. Lots to see there.

J

Last time I went diving in that area the visibility was horrible...you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. You definatly want to call some of the dive shops beforehand and ask about the conditions.

and is there interesting stuff to see in blue springs? Like fish? Or is it just a big, deep swimming pool?

There aren't any fish down there but I can guarantee it will still be an impressive sight. It's a giant limestone cavern with a pretty strong flow in certain places, and I've seen many veteran divers impressed with their first spring dive. I don't know if they rent gear; you'd have to call the park.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com